Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,867   Posts: 1,583,229   Online: 994
      
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 75
  1. #21

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Penfield, NY
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    1,090
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    If it gets so bad that 1 yen = 1 dollar (as it did nearly 100 years ago), then Fuji film is really going to cost!
    The last time I was in Japan (1968) I remember it was 360 Yen to the dollar

  2. #22
    Photo Engineer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    23,540
    Images
    65
    That is correct Fred.

    PE

  3. #23

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN US
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,354
    Images
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    That is not correct. As the yen declines, goods sold in dollars or other foreign currencies bring back MORE yen to Fujifilm. A declining yen is good for Fujifilm since most of their sales are overseas. Their recent year end financial statement alluded to this as their imaging solutions group gained over 2% in income just due to currency moves.

    If all film raw materials were imported, then it would be bad for Fujifilm. It is very unlikely that this is true.
    I'm thinking primarily of silver, which is likely to be the largest cost driver (at least for traditional b/w film). Since commodities are generally priced in US dollars or in Euros, it will take more yen to purchase a given quantity. I'm sure not all materials are imported
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

  4. #24

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Shanghai, China
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,243
    Images
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by mgb74 View Post
    I'm thinking primarily of silver, which is likely to be the largest cost driver (at least for traditional b/w film). Since commodities are generally priced in US dollars or in Euros, it will take more yen to purchase a given quantity. I'm sure not all materials are imported
    That's a good point.

  5. #25
    Jim Noel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    1,905
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by ambaker View Post
    Digi-who? Do they make sheet film? :wink:

    I have digital cameras. I know how to shoot them. Film makes my heart sing. Digital doesn't.

    Till it's gone or I can't hoist a film cam anymore, I will continue to shoot film.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    AMEN! I belong to the same club.
    Jim
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

  6. #26
    Poisson Du Jour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Vic., Australia.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,684
    Images
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    I know, a normally stupid question, but with the yen now in virtual free fall, is it possible that Fujifilm's film might get a bit cheaper? On Friday the yen fell agains the dollar down to 101 yen per $1! That's amazing. I was just in Japan a few months ago and it was 90 yen to the dollar.

    If the yen keeps dropping, might we see some film price relief from Japan?


    Much remains to still be seen as the US dollar gains strength (I'm following this with interest) — not entirely unexpected. The Australian dollar like a few other currencies, is influenced is by Asian economic performance — especially China; there is weak economic data coming out of China at the moment (marked slowdown in electricity production is a key indice of China's industrial performance) so the AUD is falling while the US dollar is rising, the yen is falling... you get the picture — lots of selling off going on across currencies. All this could influence future prices, but not in the immediate term.
    Last edited by Poisson Du Jour; 05-12-2013 at 10:59 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    “The photographer must determine how he wants the finished print to look before he exposes the negative.
    Before releasing the shutter, he must seek 'the flame of recognition,' a sense that the picture would reveal
    the greater mystery of things...more clearly than the eyes see."
    ~Edward Weston, 1922.

  7. #27

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Shanghai, China
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,243
    Images
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    Much remains to still be seen as the US dollar gains strength (I'm following this with interest) — not entirely unexpected. The Australian dollar like a few other currencies, is influenced is by Asian economic performance — especially China; there is weak economic data coming out of China at the moment (marked slowdown in electricity production is a key indice of China's industrial performance) so the AUD is falling while the US dollar is rising, the yen is falling... you get the picture — lots of selling off going on across currencies. All this could influence future prices, but not in the immediate term.
    While the dollar is gaining against the yen, the dollar keeps losing against the Chinese yuan. I am paid in dollars, but my salary is delivered in yuan so I get less and less each month!

  8. #28
    lxdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Redlands, So. Calif.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    6,756
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    While the dollar is gaining against the yen, the dollar keeps losing against the Chinese yuan. I am paid in dollars, but my salary is delivered in yuan so I get less and less each month!
    Sounds like yuan the wrong path!
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

  9. #29
    mooseontheloose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Kyoto, Japan
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,774
    Images
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof_Pixel View Post
    The last time I was in Japan (1968) I remember it was 360 Yen to the dollar
    I first came to Japan in 1999 and somewhere in the following years (1999-2004) the yen was about 140 yen to the dollar. It didn't bother me then since it was about 68 yen to the Canadian dollar, but now that the Cdn dollar is at par with the US dollar, I'm not so happy. The way things are going now I hope it doesn't go much above 100 yen to the dollar, but historically that hasn't been the case.

    In any event, I shoot film that I like, regardless of cost, which means I'm supporting all the major players (and some of the minor ones). I suppose eventually I'll get priced out, but as that's not the case at the moment, I'll shoot what I want while I still can.

    Edit: Actually, I shouldn't say that! My yearly salary has dropped nearly $10,000 over the last year due to the weakening of the yen. I keep holding out on sending money home, but I have the feeling the exchange rate is only going to get worse as time goes on (although maybe it would encourage others to visit here!).
    Last edited by mooseontheloose; 05-13-2013 at 09:52 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Rachelle

    My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

  10. #30

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Yorkshire, UK
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    333
    Silver is down to 65% of the price it was September last year, you would hope that some of that would filter down, mind you, it is priced in dollars, that complicates things.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin