Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,271   Posts: 1,534,491   Online: 1104

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Although the price of silver has dropped, the price of oil (for transportation) has gone up. Oil is used to produce the rare organic chemicals used in the manufacture of all photographic products and thus prices seem to either hold steady or still go up.

Then there is labor.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You win some, you lose some....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    Sounds like yuan the wrong path!

<*groan*>
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by brianmquinn View Post
    True, but you could decide that you just can't afford to shoot E6 any more and switch to Kodak Ektar instead of Velvia or go digital.
    E6 is certainly in danger of pricing itself out of the market. Fuji's products are by no means cheap and with the cost of postage in the UK to and from processors, I'm looking at the best part of £20 to shoot a roll of Fuji 36exp E6. These days I think twice each time before I press the shutter and the concept of 'one spare just in case' has gone out the window unless it's a UFO or grassy knoll shot. I've been experimenting a lot lately ith B/W reversal processing (and will post something on this to the appropriate forum later) as I do like to shoot slides but find it increasingly ridiculously expensive to shoot E6.

Steve

Shooter
    35mm
    Postage also kills you when you buy the film. Typically, it's around £4-£5, half the price of some films, more expensive than others. If you are not blessed with a local photo shop, you have to bulk buy which in the case of slide film may mean spending £100 to get ten rolls.
    Steve.

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by perkeleellinen View Post
    Postage also kills you when you buy the film. Typically, it's around £4-£5, half the price of some films, more expensive than others. If you are not blessed with a local photo shop, you have to bulk buy which in the case of slide film may mean spending £100 to get ten rolls.
    E6 film, postage and processing actually manage the difficult task of making petrol seem a bit of a bargain!

Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Roberts View Post
    E6 film, postage and processing actually manage the difficult task of making petrol seem a bit of a bargain!

Steve
    See! Fuji and your postal service are just trying to help out whereever they can.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I expect E6 films to vanish completely in the near future (don't ask me to define this term). This is what I am hearing from some sources.

PE

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    I expect E6 films to vanish completely in the near future (don't ask me to define this term). This is what I am hearing from some sources.

PE
    I agree, which is quite the shame. I have to admit, though, that some of my gf's digi stuff is hugely impressive color wise. Only if people would stop oversaturating everything..
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Large Format
    I'm in transition to going 8x10 and here's where something is non-sequitur: I'm going to go the X-Ray film route and learn to live ortho. Better than no film at all. X-Ray film in 8x10 can be had for 40 dollars per 100 sheet box, coated with emulsion on BOTH sides. And regular photographic 8x10 is coated on just one side, but I'd be lucky to pay for 6 sheets of that with my $40. Something is amiss here.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin