Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,551   Posts: 1,573,113   Online: 726

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    ... Something is amiss here.
    X-Ray film has much higher volume and it's a totally different emulsion in terms of dyes, etc. Unfortunately they do not cut T-Max and T-MAT G off of the same master roll. They may not even be coated in the same plant.

However, I have to agree that the price differential seems more than it should be. X-Ray film very likely has quite a bit more silver.
    All this has happened before, and all this will happen again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    X-Ray film demand is declining rapidly and I would expect it to go up in price and then vanish. With its 2 layer structure, separated by film base, expect sharpness and flare to suffer. It is also far less complex than other films due to the lack of correction for reciprocity, latent image keeping and other items that are needed for a true PRO film.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The dentists that my family go to all have dropped film in favor of digital.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I'm not crazy about having to do the X-Ray film route, but I have studied it and have seen some very good results--enough to make giving up pan liveable. I have done NONE so far, so I'm no one to judge. It seems to me in 8x10 though, that my biggest concern of intra-base halation hopefully will not severely affect my contact-printed results. The price at this time sure seems conducive to a certain amount of shooting freedom, and it's already an 8x10 right out of the box.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    X-rays that track the 36-year progress of my renal transplant are all digital. They have been digital since at least 2005, including dental imaging. A couple of years ago after a digi-dental xray, there was a new item of interest: the dentist came up to my mouth not with a pick and mirror, but a Nikon D3 fitted with a tiny orb-like macro lens on the front. It looked threatening so very, very close — so close I could read the display on the top panel! In the great Nikon tradition, I didn't feel a thing! The three images instantly appeared on a laptop behind him and examined by nurse next to the digi x-rays. Fascinating stuff. Occasionally APUG members here do dabble with X-ray film in anything from pinholes to Bell & James set ups.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    I expect E6 films to vanish completely in the near future (don't ask me to define this term). This is what I am hearing from some sources.

PE
    I hope it's not too soon, I've just invested in a new film scanner for my 35mm E6 work....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Originally Posted by Photo Engineer

I expect E6 films to vanish completely in the near future (don't ask me to define this term). This is what I am hearing from some sources.

PE

I will ask you to define it. In the absence of which, it can be considered heresay. People muttered and gloomed about 4 years ago that "film is dead", E6 too. Oh, hello!? it's still around with us, alive and kicking. We're still using it. It's abundant in supply. Labs still process it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    ...E6...it's still around with us, alive and kicking. We're still using it. It's abundant in supply. Labs still process it.
    E-6 is still around, but "with shallow breathing and dragging its feet" would be a more apt description than "alive and kicking." Supply is radically reduced from four years ago and the number of labs that process it is drastically smaller.

Hearsay evidence may not be admissible, but that doesn't mean the charge is unfounded.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    E-6 is still around, but "with shallow breathing and dragging its feet" would be a more apt description than "alive and kicking." Supply is radically reduced from four years ago and the number of labs that process it is drastically smaller.

Hearsay evidence may not be admissible, but that doesn't mean the charge is unfounded.

That's all news to me. Must be a USA thing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    That's all news to me. Must be a USA thing.
    I just came back from the store I buy film from. There was a LOT of E6 film in all forms up to 4 x 5. In China, E6 seems pretty popular at least. Sadly, my film guy told me that he can no longer order Reala. That one's history.

On a positive note, I was in the camera mall today looking for a 35mm film camera to buy. I went to one store in the mall, where I knew that there were a lot of Contax G2 and other film cameras. I couldnt get in that cabinet because it was too busy! Other people out shopping for film cameras were monopolizing the staff.

I ended up buying a Nikon FM2. That and a lot of 135 size film. FINALLY I can shoot Neopan 400. I always wanted to try this film so loaded up many boxes of this film.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin