Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,202   Posts: 1,531,595   Online: 1175

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Gary;

Consider this. Fuji is now the only producer of E6 products. They no longer make Motion Picture film. They also coat Instax.

Thus, their lines are Instax, E6. C41. and B&W.

My sources state a supposed fact with no date attached. I cannot tell you what I don't know. I can just project the problems arising from the given product mix. Their C41 is limited, and the B&W is not sold in as wide a market as Ilford (AFAIK). They are in the same boat as Kodak really, but supported by other Fuji divisions.

So, at a guess, (my own, not my sources) is that E6 will probably fail in about 5 years or less.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Back in the late 90's I lived in Beijing and was quite active over on photo.net (just remembering this as a point of time reference for myself). As digital started to become popular the old adage that film, let alone E-6, would all be long gone within 5 years or less was common. Coming up on 15 years since...
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Gary;

Consider this. Fuji is now the only producer of E6 products. They no longer make Motion Picture film. They also coat Instax.

Thus, their lines are Instax, E6. C41. and B&W.

My sources state a supposed fact with no date attached. I cannot tell you what I don't know. I can just project the problems arising from the given product mix. Their C41 is limited, and the B&W is not sold in as wide a market as Ilford (AFAIK). They are in the same boat as Kodak really, but supported by other Fuji divisions.

So, at a guess, (my own, not my sources) is that E6 will probably fail in about 5 years or less.

PE
    You have 21,698 posts and over the years I have noted several in the past that have been wrong. I hope this will prove to be another.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yep, wrong wrong wrong!

However, balanced wrong with right please.

IDK where this will fall, but I was pressed for an answer.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I guess Fuji is in an interesting market position. They appear to be the only producer of E6 material, so in theory have a monopoly. However, I think it's also reasonable to say that most us us don't shoot E6 because we have to, it's because we want to. So price it too high and we'll move. I don't know what the profitability of E6 is like, raw materials have gone up, everything has gone up. Interestingly, the one area that I would have though there was still a strong push for E6 was in the larger format Velvia 50 for landscape/calendar work, and the 5"x4" was cut. So who knows what the future may hold? I know I shoot a lot less E6 than I did, mainly because of cost. Close to £10 for a roll of 35mm Velvia 50 plus processing makes my eyes water....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by brianmquinn View Post
    ...several in the past...have been wrong. I hope this will prove to be another.
    After observing innumerable bumper stickers on the vehicles around me while commuting 100 miles per day for 33 years here in southern California, my favorite one said:

"I feel much better since I gave up hope."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Bloody hell Sal thats about 800,000 miles !!!!

at say 50 mph ?....you have spent nearly 2 years of your life sitting in your car !

Simon. ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Simon, in the LA/Orange County area, that can be anywhere from 70mph to 0mph and everything in between. Usually multiple times in each trip.

I had a 100 mile commuting round trip for a while, and hated it. Then I went from that to a 200 mile round trip and after 3 months swore never again. As both were to and from Palm Springs, neither had much in the way of slowdowns, either. If there had been LA-type jams, no doubt I would have ended up in a rubber room.

And back in the days when real estate was booming, and people were flooding into the area by the tens of thousands, I saw a 28-mile commute go from 30 minutes to 40 minutes in the span of two years.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's also not an unusual commute at all in the US. I commute about 23 miles per day each way, 46 miles round trip, and my wife about 10 more each way. I have had jobs where I commuted 40 miles each way. I've worked with people in Atlanta who commuted from Chattanooga TN (90 miles EACH WAY, 180 miles round trip) and Macon (more like 100 miles each way, 200 miles round trip) but the person who lived in Macon worked a job with 8 consecutive shifts of 10 hours each followed by six days off, so she commuted eight trips every two weeks, not ten.

Part of this is culture and the price of gasoline, even at today's prices compared to much of the world, but much is also just the sheer size of the US. A going with his father to see a football game about 800 miles away. Long as that is, it's less than 1/3 of the way across the country, and that's at the middle, not diagonally. Fly that 800 miles east from London and you'd be somewhere in Poland. Do it from the middle of France and you'd be almost to the Ukraine. In his case here he was a couple of states over, Oklahoma or Texas I think it was. The US is geographically big and though the population is centered in larger cities many people work in or near those larger cities and live outside a good ways. I COULD live close to my work. But a house comparable to the one I have would cost at least $100k more if it were within 5 miles of my job, and I don't even work inside Atlanta proper where it would be even more. It would take a LONG time to make up that in transportation costs differences, though for some people the aggravation and time are worth the compromise in housing. Other people are lucky enough to live where that's not a factor but the jobs in bigger cities usually pay enough to lure people here - then we look at the price of housing near those jobs versus the suburbs and how much nicer house we can have in the suburbs and a lot of people just say "#$%^ that, I'll put up with the traffic and drive!"

OTOH I work mostly nights. At night I can make the trip in 25 minutes. Mondays I go in during rush hour and today it only took 45 minutes, which is a very lucky day and also involved using a toll lane that saved me about 20 minutes and cost me about five dollars. A more typical time on Monday is an hour to an hour fifteen. On the thankfully very rare occasions I have been at work and left at 5 PM it can easily take 2 hours to 2.5 hours to get home. If I regularly had to work those hours I would move or, more likely, find a job with more flexible hours!
    Last edited by Roger Cole; 05-20-2013 at 02:18 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Fuji's E-6 line will die mainly because of two reasons (MHO)

1. Fuji's Marketing department - no one seems interested in selling films
    2. Availability of chemistry - with Kodak E-6 chemistry supply drying up (available in large packs not feasible to use for small volumes), There is no alternative for the labs. With Kodak's distribution network, Fuji never had to worry about selling chemistry. Now I don't know if they will be able to put up an effective distribution system in place or even be interested in doing so.

just my two cents

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin