Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,060   Posts: 1,561,617   Online: 885

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon R Galley View Post
    Bloody hell Sal thats about 800,000 miles !!!!...
    Or, as I refer to it, a bit more than 3 Lunar Units (LUs).

Quote Originally Posted by Simon R Galley View Post
    ...at say 50 mph ?....you have spent nearly 2 years of your life sitting in your car !...
    For most of the career, I was dealing with suppliers and customers in the Eastern time zone. Management therefore readily agreed to a flexible shift that usually started at just past 6:00 AM and ended around 2:30 PM. This helped immensely in avoiding the bulk of metro Los Angeles' worst traffic, and kept my speed closer to posted maximums, which ranged from 55 mph to 65 mph over the decades. Nonetheless, it's best not to refine the calculation you made. Ignorance of how many years were spent sitting in a car is more blissful than dwelling on it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by davedm View Post
    Fuji's E-6 line will die mainly because of two reasons (MHO)

1. Fuji's Marketing department - no one seems interested in selling films
    2. Availability of chemistry - with Kodak E-6 chemistry supply drying up (available in large packs not feasible to use for small volumes), There is no alternative for the labs. With Kodak's distribution network, Fuji never had to worry about selling chemistry. Now I don't know if they will be able to put up an effective distribution system in place or even be interested in doing so.

just my two cents
    Agreed, Fujifilm's "marketing" is disgusting. Who knows how well film could be doing if even half an effort was given here. As I said in a different post, I went out camera shopping last weekend. I didnt know what I was going to buy, but I had some ideas. I wanted to get a 35mm film camera to complement my medium format gear. My initial thoughts were of a Contax G2, but part of me wanted manual focus so I was conflicted.

Here in Shanghai, there are 20 or so shops that sell used camera gear, all located in one mall. I went to one that I knew had a lot of Contax gear. I found the store very busy, too busy to wait around in. There were 3 people looking at the Contax gear. Three people on a Sunday morning!! The stores were just opening. Now 3 isnt a huge number, but the fact that it's 3 people looking for a film camera, and a Contax one at that just tells me that there are more people interested in film than perhaps the "geniuses" at Fujifilm (and Kodak) even know about. I just wish Fujifilm would put half an effort behind their film line. For god's sake, their web page on film is just pathetic.

I ended up buying a Nikon FM2. Hopefully the film that comes back in a few days validates this purchase.

Regarding E-6 chemicals, I thought Kodak outsourced all that. Can't the real supplier keep making them?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    Simon, in the LA/Orange County area, that can be anywhere from 70mph to 0mph and everything in between. Usually multiple times in each trip.

I had a 100 mile commuting round trip for a while, and hated it. Then I went from that to a 200 mile round trip and after 3 months swore never again. As both were to and from Palm Springs, neither had much in the way of slowdowns, either. If there had been LA-type jams, no doubt I would have ended up in a rubber room.

And back in the days when real estate was booming, and people were flooding into the area by the tens of thousands, I saw a 28-mile commute go from 30 minutes to 40 minutes in the span of two years.
    I used to commute in LA, that place nearly killed me, I left 19 years ago. My commute for the past 15 years has been non-existant living in a tiny mountain town. I may not have the 2,500 square foot house with the basement darkroom and white picket fence, but I can walk out the front door right now and within a 5 minute walk, be at the edge of thousands of miles of pure wilderness.

I'll never understand the idea of spending a lot of one's life chasing material objects and jobs only to sit in horrible traffic in a concrete jungle for the rest of one's life....looking forward to retirement...
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    ...I'll never understand the idea of spending a lot of one's life chasing material objects and jobs only to sit in horrible traffic in a concrete jungle for the rest of one's life....looking forward to retirement...
    Not everyone who made/makes long commutes in LA is single and able to independently decide on a change of venue/lifestyle. Nor are they necessarily chasing material objects. Sometimes family circumstances make "getting the hell out of here" impossible. It is good to avoid generalizations and reaching conclusions with insufficient data.

Taking a different tack, be thankful that so many are still making those commutes in LA rather than joining you in and around Aspen. You'd find your mountain environment substantially less attractive were it subject to significantly increased homo sapiens pollution.
    Last edited by Sal Santamaura; 05-20-2013 at 06:52 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Correct typo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    Or, as I refer to it, a bit more than 3 Lunar Units (LUs).
    [...]
    Nonetheless, it's best not to refine the calculation you made. Ignorance of how many years were spent sitting in a car is more blissful than dwelling on it.
    Yeah, but it's also only about 4.295 light-seconds. That sounds much better...

Ken

(Who was born and raised in Los Angeles, and knows exactly what you are talking about.)
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm retired these days and it takes me all my time to commute from my bedroom to the kitchen to have breakfast, I've done my share of it in the past, but in Britain a 100 mile commute is fairly unusual because it's a small country and most people would move house if they had such a long journey every day, although I have heard of some high powered business executives who live with their familys in the highlands of Scotland who commute every day to London by scheduled flight which must cost a fortune.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    I'm retired these days and it takes me all my time to commute from my bedroom to the kitchen to have breakfast, I've done my share of it in the past, but in Britain a 100 mile commute is fairly unusual because it's a small country and most people would move house if they had such a long journey every day, although I have heard of some high powered business executives who live with their familys in the highlands of Scotland who commute every day to London by scheduled flight which must cost a fortune.

LOL!
    Down here in Australia 200km commutes to work are common in the country where jobs are scarce and one has to work with what's available. What's that in miles? Do the math...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    Not everyone who made/makes long commutes in LA is single and able to independently decide on a change of venue/lifestyle. Nor are they necessarily chasing material objects. Sometimes family circumstances make "getting the hell out of here" impossible. It is good to avoid generalizations and reaching conclusions with insufficient data.

Taking a different tack, be thankful that so many are still making those commutes in LA rather than joining you in and around Aspen. You'd find your mountain environment substantially less attractive were it subject to significantly increased homo sapiens pollution.
    Just trying to inspire people to say to hell with it and take a chance in life and ultimately make a move. My baby brother and a half brother did not, stayed in LA and are no longer living.

But to get back on topic, I only use one Fuji film now and that is Acros in 120. It is not going to get cheaper, no film is, it is all going to go up and I think that for Acros's reciprocity characteristics alone it will be worth the increases.
    Last edited by PKM-25; 05-28-2013 at 02:57 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    I used to commute in LA, that place nearly killed me, I left 19 years ago. My commute for the past 15 years has been non-existant living in a tiny mountain town. I may not have the 2,500 square foot house with the basement darkroom and white picket fence, but I can walk out the front door right now and within a 5 minute walk, be at the edge of thousands of miles of pure wilderness.

I'll never understand the idea of spending a lot of one's life chasing material objects and jobs only to sit in horrible traffic in a concrete jungle for the rest of one's life....looking forward to retirement...
    What do you do for work?! It's tough to find neurosurgery jobs in the middle of nowhere. What does your wife do? Multiple women I have dated have been high level executives at companies. When the topic of long term plans came up it was an issue. Our career prospects didn't always line up geographically. All of us went to school for a long time and invested in our careers. We want to provide for potential children. Even moving to the fourth or fifth largest city in America would compromise some people's careers. It's a tough economy. People have to do what they have to do. I'm not going to ask a woman to abandon her education, career, world travel, and $150+K/yr just because I like to walk down country trails every once in awhile. And I'm not going to tell junior he can't go to Harvard because daddy doesn't like to sit in traffic.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Neurosurgeons here in Rochester have 3 big hospitals with excellent Neurology departments but with a rural environment within a 20 min or less drive.

PE

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin