Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,056   Posts: 1,561,455   Online: 1029

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Fujifilm to get cheaper??

I know, a normally stupid question, but with the yen now in virtual free fall, is it possible that Fujifilm's film might get a bit cheaper? On Friday the yen fell agains the dollar down to 101 yen per $1! That's amazing. I was just in Japan a few months ago and it was 90 yen to the dollar.

If the yen keeps dropping, might we see some film price relief from Japan?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    God, I hope so.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Don't hold your breath.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Don't hold your breath Ratty, Fuji now have very little competition now, it's not as if they are going to increase their market share by doing so it's just a chance for them to increase their profits.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 05-11-2013 at 05:13 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    At some point Fuji will cross the line where the price to value ratio is no longer appealing to film photographers, who have the choice to switch to another film product or digital. Ilford provides great competition, and Kodak looks to be shedding its liabilities and focusing on its core photography business.

When Acros sheets are nearly 75% more expensive than comparable Ilford products, many people will simply choose Ilford. Then, Fuji will drop prices. Competition works every time.
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    you can't switch to Ilford or Kodak if you're shooting colour transparency

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pdeeh View Post
    you can't switch to Ilford or Kodak if you're shooting colour transparency
    True, but you could decide that you just can't afford to shoot E6 any more and switch to Kodak Ektar instead of Velvia or go digital.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by brianmquinn View Post
    True, but you could decide that you just can't afford to shoot E6 any more and switch to Kodak Ektar instead of Velvia or go digital.
    Digi-who? Do they make sheet film? :wink:

I have digital cameras. I know how to shoot them. Film makes my heart sing. Digital doesn't.

Till it's gone or I can't hoist a film cam anymore, I will continue to shoot film.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Film Prices

Fuji's prices will drop after a while, if they want to sell the stuff. Kodak announces a price increase every once in a while and the price goes up a for bit and then comes down again at retail. Lately, I get most of my film through Amazon. At the last increase, Ektar went up to $6-something a roll for 35mm. Now it's $4.99 again. (120 is $22.49 or something like that.) I just got a few rolls last week and the stuff is fresh with 2015 expiration dates. So it isn't like Amazon is discounting to get rid of it. Portra 35mm has gone through the roof, but by pennies at a time it is slowly coming down. Same with BW400, which I guess somebody uses. Reala in 120 is much more expensive than Portra. 120 superia is just a bit less than Portra and more than Ektar. So who's gonna buy the Fuji unless you really, really like it. Velvia is a different matter, of course, but it'll just spoil on the shelves so eventually the price pressure will move the pricing.
    All this has happened before, and all this will happen again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I already dropped Fuji ACROS. I used to buy it ten 120 rolls at a time when it was under $3 a roll. Now I use Kodak. I always felt bad using Japanese film while an American photo company struggled but when you are saving over a $1 a roll the price difference can't be ignored. Fuji has some guts thinking I'll buy their film over Kodak's just to save a few pennies.

Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    I know, a normally stupid question, but with the yen now in virtual free fall, is it possible that Fujifilm's film might get a bit cheaper? On Friday the yen fell agains the dollar down to 101 yen per $1! That's amazing. I was just in Japan a few months ago and it was 90 yen to the dollar.

If the yen keeps dropping, might we see some film price relief from Japan?
    So the yen depreciated by about 10%. Well the price of ACROS is up almost 33%. For ACROS prices to return to where they were a year ago it would take currency manipulation on a scale that would have American nativists screaming bloody murder.

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin