Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,291   Posts: 1,535,446   Online: 916

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format

Is there still a future for Super-8 ?

Whereas one learned about the recent incentives in Germany on supplying S-8 films which resulted by now in several facilities to do such conversions just over here alone, these days it was announced that the renown german print-magazine on small-gauge cinematography "Schmalfilm" has stoppped as sole publication.

One can argue about the future, and maybe you'll do. But I considered the last editorial by even more renown Jürgen Lossau with all his scepticism interesting enough to introduce to you:

the original:

http://www.schmalfilm-online.de/news...tzten+Mal/1408

an automated, but readable translation:

http://translate.google.de/translate...n%2BMal%2F1408
    Last edited by AgX; 05-19-2013 at 06:49 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Very well written, I think. But I often wonder if I wasn't born too late, really?
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Depends on what kind future is waited for. Ten years ago we had only a handful of different films available for super-8. Most people used Kodachrome 40, which was undeniably quite cheap, only about 14 euros per cartridge processing included. That has been history for a long time now. Nothing is as cheap anymore, but we have gotten lots of different new filmstocks available in super-8.

Now then: there are those, who have been filming their vacations for decades on super-8 and projecting them. It is certainly true that it costs now more than before to document your family life. We don't have K40 anymore. For this crowd we do have now Wittnerchrome 200D (Agfa Aviphot Chrome) which costs only about 10 euros per cartridge + processing -- provided you fill them yourself. Otherwise one cartridge costs 22 euros + processing. If you process the films yourself, you'll save even more.

Then there's the other crowd: those who shoot this film for artistic reasons and/or don't have a problem with shooting on negative film stock. We have now Vision3 50D, 200T and 500T available in super-8. They are spectacular stocks and many young people have grown to love them, using them as part of commercial shoots and artistic projects.

Here in Finland we have had a mini revival of sorts. Hrst (who writes on this forum as well) began his DIY motion picture film laboratory business this Spring. It's the first lab in Finland in decades to process super-8. During these few months there has been increasing number of people bringing their super-8 and 16mm film for processing (both ECN-2 and E-6). This recent development has also inspired new people to try super-8 or to return to their hobby after many years.

So from my perspective there is a bright future for super-8. Best ways to support it is to shoot some film yourself and to do some marketing in different Internet forums dedicated to moving images. Sharing information and great professional examples by others and being enthusiastic about it is the most important part. As always, being pessimistic is the worst thing to do if one wishes to win any converts.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    kuparikettu,

Yes, that is the pespective I share. On the other hand Lossau certainly has access to figures and "scene" information.

But a lot of investment had been done into converting facilities. So just to pay that off further engagement could be expected from those companies.
    Concerning the issue of the Schmalfilm magazine itself it may be related to a generation used to buying magazines to be superseeded by people (or the attitude of) tapping the internet.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    kuparikettu,
    Concerning the issue of the Schmalfilm magazine itself it may be related to a generation used to buying magazines to be superseeded by people (or the attitude of) tapping the internet.
    And to be honest, one reason might also be that there isn't that much to be said about the subject matter. It's one thing to shoot film and another to fill a magazine with articles on the same subject while Internet gives access to latest news and discussions.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    By the way, just today a girl about 20 recocknized my S-8 camera as such...
    So far she was the youngest to do so.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I was listening to an interview with the band Noah and the Whale on the radio and the singer is shooting a movie in Super 8. His reasoning when quizzed was something along the lines of "to remind people that actual human beings make films". I've had enough of hearing that kind of baloney.
    'Cows are very fond of being photographed, and, unlike architecture, don't move.' - Oscar Wilde

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not exactly sure how this:

Quote Originally Posted by batwister View Post
    His reasoning when quizzed was something along the lines of "to remind people that actual human beings make films".
    Squares with this:

Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    I'm not sure how good this is for photography, but at least it's all on film.

http://www.salon.com/2013/05/18/monk...00000_partner/

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you for the interesting link. I used to shoot 8, Super 8 and 16mm many moons ago and I saw some wonderful work done on Super 8, memorable films made for little money. There was a art/punk contingency in NY shooting Super 8 in the late 70's/early 80's, mostly affiliated with the music club scene. Film has an inherent look/quality video tries to emulate but can't.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just for an example, Kodak Vision3 200T & 50D sure looks good in super-8: https://vimeo.com/62554975

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin