Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,695   Online: 964

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tron_ View Post

Also the Lunar might be one of the most hideous cameras to ever leave a factory. Viktor is probably turning in his grave :P
    It shows how some people just don't get it. The Hasselblads were always an example of the beauty of good design: elegant, functional, straightforward. Craftsmanship in design and execution.

Gaudy overpriced French-whore cameras are the furthest thing from a real Hasselblad.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    Interesting...so you are saying that pros like me who have invested that amount not on a self obsoleting H-something but on building a full Hassy film system, LF system, tons of film, paper, chemistry and darkroom hardware are not going to be a part of the art of photography?
    You might well have spent that much, but (hopefully) over a long period of time - the 'pay as you go' sensibility - the incremental process of art making.
    Last edited by batwister; 05-29-2013 at 03:25 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    'Cows are very fond of being photographed, and, unlike architecture, don't move.' - Oscar Wilde

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I doubt the Lunar will be a success. Anyone who has this amount of money to spend just for the sake of buying an expensive camera serving as an ostentatious display of splendor would rather go for a Leica New M. That would be even more true should this person buy it for real use, since the Leica has the better specs apart from the lack of AF.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Lunarcy, is what it is.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mesantacruz View Post
    sorry, should have been more explicit... what i meant to say, was that there are no decent Digital backs for the hasselblad v system... as in not tethered, with decent battery life, and around the 10,000 dollar mark... which i couldn't afford, but would be more affordable, to some, who don't need autofocus, etc. (h system) Also, instead of keeping up such a system that has a great following, and focusing on that, regardless of it being film... they decide to create the lunar, which is a sony body, covered in hasselblad logos, and sell it for over 10 times it's worth... the people at hasseblad corporation obviously have their head so far up they're ass, that they refuse to listen to the mockery that arose from this body.
    What is this digital about which you speak?
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What I don't understand is the average person has no idea what a Hasselblad is. And the people who do know what a Hasselblad is are pretty into photography so they would never overspend and buy a disaster like the Lunar. The market for something like that is tiny. It is a money is no object I will drop thousands on something I don't even understand crowd. I personally only know a tiny number of people like that. None of my doctor, lawyer, banker friends would spend that kind of money without knowing exactly what they are getting. They might be frivolous about $600 but not $6,000. Hasselblad has a really piece of junk on their hands.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    The thing that always sticks in my memory the most about Hassies is seeing ancient millionaires staggering around Pt Lobos with canes and
    handheld Hassies pretending to be Edward Weston, meanwhile snapshooting wildly, making it perfectly apparent they didn't have a clue what
    they were doing. Spend the most and get the best pictures? I don't think so. Any working 4x5 camera with a halfway decent lens has more
    way authority.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

"Everything has its place in time."

So very, very true.

I can vouch for the build and quality of the digital Hasselblads (not to everybody's taste, I know, and I squirmed when I saw it, bristling with technology that I happily get on without with my Pentax!), but not for their $45,000 price tag. One of these heavy hitters was observed here in outback Australia on a shoot, excelling at night sky and star trail photography. I may seek out a 503CW to play with. I do like the 6x6 format (universally used in my pinhole camera) and no doubt the second-hand market prices for the V-series will drop over time. We can be assured that those not holding a V-series in perpetuity, if not actually using it, will keep the Hasselblad marque alive in the analogue spectrum for a good while yet, but using one with film is the best thing of all.
    “The photographer must determine how he wants the finished print to look before he exposes the negative.
    Before releasing the shutter, he must seek 'the flame of recognition,' a sense that the picture would reveal
    the greater mystery of things...more clearly than the eyes see."
    ~Edward Weston, 1922.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    ...ancient millionaires staggering around Pt Lobos with canes and handheld Hassies pretending to be Edward Weston, meanwhile snapshooting wildly, making it perfectly apparent they didn't have a clue what
    they were doing...
    Perhaps they were waiting for their Charis to appear. Or remembering one who had.

s-a
    I photograph things to see what things look like photographed.
    - Garry Winogrand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    The thing that always sticks in my memory the most about Hassies is seeing ancient millionaires staggering around Pt Lobos with canes and handheld Hassies pretending to be Edward Weston...
    I wish you had smiled and waved at me rather than sneering. Oh... and that "cane" was a monopod.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin