Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,127   Posts: 1,637,090   Online: 1150

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I doubt the Lunar will be a success. Anyone who has this amount of money to spend just for the sake of buying an expensive camera serving as an ostentatious display of splendor would rather go for a Leica New M. That would be even more true should this person buy it for real use, since the Leica has the better specs apart from the lack of AF.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Lunarcy, is what it is.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What I don't understand is the average person has no idea what a Hasselblad is. And the people who do know what a Hasselblad is are pretty into photography so they would never overspend and buy a disaster like the Lunar. The market for something like that is tiny. It is a money is no object I will drop thousands on something I don't even understand crowd. I personally only know a tiny number of people like that. None of my doctor, lawyer, banker friends would spend that kind of money without knowing exactly what they are getting. They might be frivolous about $600 but not $6,000. Hasselblad has a really piece of junk on their hands.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    The thing that always sticks in my memory the most about Hassies is seeing ancient millionaires staggering around Pt Lobos with canes and
    handheld Hassies pretending to be Edward Weston, meanwhile snapshooting wildly, making it perfectly apparent they didn't have a clue what
    they were doing. Spend the most and get the best pictures? I don't think so. Any working 4x5 camera with a halfway decent lens has more
    way authority.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

"Everything has its place in time."

So very, very true.

I can vouch for the build and quality of the digital Hasselblads (not to everybody's taste, I know, and I squirmed when I saw it, bristling with technology that I happily get on without with my Pentax!), but not for their $45,000 price tag. One of these heavy hitters was observed here in outback Australia on a shoot, excelling at night sky and star trail photography. I may seek out a 503CW to play with. I do like the 6x6 format (universally used in my pinhole camera) and no doubt the second-hand market prices for the V-series will drop over time. We can be assured that those not holding a V-series in perpetuity, if not actually using it, will keep the Hasselblad marque alive in the analogue spectrum for a good while yet, but using one with film is the best thing of all.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    ...ancient millionaires staggering around Pt Lobos with canes and handheld Hassies pretending to be Edward Weston, meanwhile snapshooting wildly, making it perfectly apparent they didn't have a clue what
    they were doing...
    Perhaps they were waiting for their Charis to appear. Or remembering one who had.

s-a
    I photograph things to see what things look like photographed.
    - Garry Winogrand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    The thing that always sticks in my memory the most about Hassies is seeing ancient millionaires staggering around Pt Lobos with canes and handheld Hassies pretending to be Edward Weston...
    I wish you had smiled and waved at me rather than sneering. Oh... and that "cane" was a monopod.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    I wish you had smiled and waved at me rather than sneering. Oh... and that "cane" was a monopod.
    And here he thought you were happy to see him...
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Shooter
    Large Format
    I absolutely believe if Hasselblad had put more into advertising and less in R & D of copycat digital junk, they'd be selling 500 series cameras by the thousands.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    I absolutely believe if Hasselblad had put more into advertising and less in R & D of copycat digital junk, they'd be selling 500 series cameras by the thousands.

Well, not quite. The professional market is driven by digital need-it/want it-now. Not analogue "be with you in two shakes of a lamb's tail...".
    Hasselblad is no doubt responding to the booming market. A boom, incidentally, I am quite happy to bypass.
    Apparently Hasselblad are moving heaps of those high-end H-series cameras. God, they cost as much as a nice new car here in Australia.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin