Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,534   Posts: 1,544,059   Online: 1115

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    I wish you had smiled and waved at me rather than sneering. Oh... and that "cane" was a monopod.
    And here he thought you were happy to see him...

Shooter
    Large Format
    I absolutely believe if Hasselblad had put more into advertising and less in R & D of copycat digital junk, they'd be selling 500 series cameras by the thousands.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    I absolutely believe if Hasselblad had put more into advertising and less in R & D of copycat digital junk, they'd be selling 500 series cameras by the thousands.

Well, not quite. The professional market is driven by digital need-it/want it-now. Not analogue "be with you in two shakes of a lamb's tail...".
    Hasselblad is no doubt responding to the booming market. A boom, incidentally, I am quite happy to bypass.
    Apparently Hasselblad are moving heaps of those high-end H-series cameras. God, they cost as much as a nice new car here in Australia.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Everybody is a "professional" now. What "professional market"? Advertise them on Dancing with the stars, or some such foolishness. Quality doesn't have to drop on account of volume. The volume would probably never be any higher than it ever was--and quality didn't drop then. Trying to compete with cellphone companies is pointless. Digital junk is pointless.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Everybody is a "professional" now. What "professional market"?
    Actual professionals are just that- they make their living through photography. Many people claim to be professionals, but are not. They are professionals- not "professionals".
    There is certainly a professional market. Who do you think is buying most medium format digital? It always was that pros bought most new medium format SLR's, and that has not changed.
    It takes more skill and savvy than ever to do well, as outlets like stock are so much less lucrative. It takes as much lighting skill as it ever did to make a product look good, and it takes more creativity than ever to make an image stand out. Companies are not entrusting the image of their product or company to someone with a cellphone camera, or someone who just got a DSLR and is claiming to be a pro.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    Actual professionals are just that- they make their living through photography. Many people claim to be professionals, but are not.
    There is certainly a professional market. It takes more skill and savvy than ever to do well, as outlets like stock are so much less lucrative. It takes as much lighting skill as it ever did to make a product look good, and it's harder than ever to make an image stand out. Companies are not entrusting the image of their product or company to someone with a cellphone camera, or someone who just got a DSLR and is claiming to be a pro.

That sums up the situation exactly.
    I have great respect for professionals whether they are working in analogue (not very common) or digital. It's bloody hard work and the competition to be just that much better is ferocious. Good on them for affording whatever tool does the job — name loyalty is nothing unless it is proven. But don't ever knock them, or their equipment. Or digital. It will one day in the future undetermined be all that we have.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    But don't ever knock them, or their equipment. Or digital. It will one day in the future undetermined be all that we have.
    That sums up the situation exactly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I suspect that is why you aren't a marketing professional.
    Kick his ass, Sea Bass!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    To who?!

As has been stated numerous times there are TONS of Hasselblad V series cameras on the used market. Who is going to pay thousands of dollars more than the going price just to get a new one? It's a camera not a car. The whole point of the camera is to be simple and reliable. A well cared for Hasselblad that gets a CLA will give you years of flawless service. All of that can be had for a fraction of the price of a new Hasselblad.

Face it the high end photography world is driven by professionals. If professionals with their tax write offs aren't buying the equipment on a regular basis the new market dies. I don't know a single person who owns a Hasselblad or any medium format camera for that matter... let alone a new one. I know plenty of people who make six figures and they don't say to themselves, let's shoot film this weekend. And the Lomo crowd ain't buyin' Hasselblads.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    And here he thought you were happy to see him...
    What- Brian? Monopod? BWAhahahahaha!

Pinky, monopod... snort, giggle...
    Last edited by lxdude; 05-30-2013 at 10:09 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin