Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,772   Posts: 1,516,573   Online: 945

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    As someone who writes press releases as part of my day job, it's always disappointing to see how much of what passes for "journalism" is just mildly rewriting someone's press release, but then it's all the more encouraging when you can tell that someone's taken the time to do some additional research and write a real story.
    This is related to what I was saying about reporters having to do everything. When you have to meet a quota of two stories, two blog posts with video and five tweets each day, re-writing a press release is sometimes what you have to do in order to keep food on the table. For a lot of journalists these days, that's what it boils down to. This is not to say there are not worthless vagrants polluting the ranks, codging stories together from freebies. There are. But whether or not someone makes phone calls, does research and fleshes out the story can be the result of very arbitrary factors that have nothing to do with the journalist's integrity, the story's importance nor publisher's agenda.

At the Sun Times, the list of tasks now includes photos.

Which is really puzzling because good art is what draws in the readers. And good reporters know this, especially good reporters who are not good photographers.

It makes me wonder how much the Sun Times is going to start leaning on readers to submit photos, if maybe they are hoping to boost circulation by getting families and friends to buy the paper because Johnny has a photo in there.

EDIT: I forgot to mention pagination. A lot of the reporters are having to lay out their own pages, now. I still haven't learned InDesign and I hope I never have to.
    Last edited by pstake; 06-09-2013 at 08:59 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: pagination

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pstake View Post
    It makes me wonder how much the Sun Times is going to start leaning on readers to submit photos, if maybe they are hoping to boost circulation by getting families and friends to buy the paper because Johnny has a photo in there.
    Something like that always works in the short-term, and then backfires.

(InDesign? Doesn't anyone use Quark anymore?)
    Truzi

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Truzi View Post
    Something like that always works in the short-term, and then backfires.

(InDesign? Doesn't anyone use Quark anymore?)
    I agree. It's a temporary solution if anything. This seems like a last ditch kind of maneuver, anyway.

I'm sure a lot of papers still use Quark. Probably a few that still use paper and tape.
    Last edited by pstake; 06-09-2013 at 09:15 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had advised an high school paper for a few years, and would never have had each reporter layout their stories - that is crazy. As a reporter you have no idea what other things will go in the paper. It looks bad for the paper as a whole.

As a learning experience I had each student layout the whole paper in turn - just one person per 12-page issue.
    Truzi

Shooter
    35mm
    Today's J-school is far different from yesterday's. I had an occasion to work with a graduate student from the University of Tennessee School of Journalism and Electronic Media for a week at the end of May and he was completely comfortable doing both photography and writing.

From the UTK website: "The mission of the University of Tennessee School of Journalism and Electronic Media is to contribute to the evolving world of media and journalism. … Writing, editing, graphic design and production skills, along with critical thinking, ethics and research skills are given both interdisciplinary and media-specific emphasis. The School is dedicated to continuously ascertaining and serving the needs of its students and of media organizations with print, broadcasting, Online and mobile communication platforms."

Shooter
    35mm
    Just an update, a little comparison. http://www.tuaw.com/2013/06/27/why-r...-may-not-have/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    THAT is simultaneously hilarious... and so sad...

Ken
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."
    —'blanksy', December 13, 2013

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Has anyone else but me, one actually from Chicago, commented to this thread? Must be easy for you all to take this recent change and make big assumptions of media, photojournalism, etc....

However, something you all have failed to address is the difference in these papers.....

The Tribube is a much different paper than the Sun Times....before this change....

Nothing here surprises me....

Correlation....causality...bla..bla...

Again, I mean no disrespect to those affected in my community...I am just not surprised by the actions of the Sun Times.....now if the Trib did this....I'd be "sky-is-falling"....
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Still, the assumption would certainly have to be that the Sun-Times, once the determination has been made to run a photo with a story, would still be choosing the best photo they had available, right? I mean, they wouldn't intentionally be selecting worse than the best available. At least I hope not, regardless of their market niche.

Since you are from Chicago and are apparently familiar with the paper, did they have a pattern of intentionally running poor photography before all of this happened? And if so, why then would there have been a Pulitzer Prize award winner on that staff?

Ken
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."
    —'blanksy', December 13, 2013

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    The Sun Tines photography was top notch before this change....
    Andy

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin