Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,752   Posts: 1,670,713   Online: 847

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Just an update, a little comparison. http://www.tuaw.com/2013/06/27/why-r...-may-not-have/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    THAT is simultaneously hilarious... and so sad...

Ken
    "When making a portrait, my approach is quite the same as when I am portraying a rock. I do not wish to impose my personality upon the sitter, but, keeping myself open to receive reactions from his own special ego, record this with nothing added: except of course when I am working professionally, when money enters in,—then for a price, I become a liar..."

— Edward Weston, Daybooks, Vol. II, February 2, 1932

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Has anyone else but me, one actually from Chicago, commented to this thread? Must be easy for you all to take this recent change and make big assumptions of media, photojournalism, etc....

However, something you all have failed to address is the difference in these papers.....

The Tribube is a much different paper than the Sun Times....before this change....

Nothing here surprises me....

Correlation....causality...bla..bla...

Again, I mean no disrespect to those affected in my community...I am just not surprised by the actions of the Sun Times.....now if the Trib did this....I'd be "sky-is-falling"....
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Still, the assumption would certainly have to be that the Sun-Times, once the determination has been made to run a photo with a story, would still be choosing the best photo they had available, right? I mean, they wouldn't intentionally be selecting worse than the best available. At least I hope not, regardless of their market niche.

Since you are from Chicago and are apparently familiar with the paper, did they have a pattern of intentionally running poor photography before all of this happened? And if so, why then would there have been a Pulitzer Prize award winner on that staff?

Ken
    "When making a portrait, my approach is quite the same as when I am portraying a rock. I do not wish to impose my personality upon the sitter, but, keeping myself open to receive reactions from his own special ego, record this with nothing added: except of course when I am working professionally, when money enters in,—then for a price, I become a liar..."

— Edward Weston, Daybooks, Vol. II, February 2, 1932

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    The Sun Tines photography was top notch before this change....
    Andy

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The headline "CUP OF CHEER" under that image is an absolute master piece and a clear sign, that the remaining staff at Sun Times is quite unhappy about the sacking of their photo journalists.
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That's a rather stark difference. Badly timed snapshot vs "in the thick of the celebrations". I'd be embarrassed to show anyone that first photo if I'd been responsible for it, and I'm no photojournalist.

At least it wasn't a tall-screen 9:16 format super-wobbly-cam video clip... video is great, but only when it's shot properly.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudeofus View Post
    The headline "CUP OF CHEER" under that image is an absolute master piece and a clear sign, that the remaining staff at Sun Times is quite unhappy about the sacking of their photo journalists.

I suspect the attitude is actually: "Better them than me."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Sun-Times has been in and out of bankruptcy and is essentially trash now. It's garbage, has been for at least a decade. Used to be a great paper. It's not long for this world. The Tribune is a notch above, but miles below the New York Times.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Is the Sun-Times not even buying freelance work? Because there's a lot of people out there who could have taken a better picture than what they ran.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin