Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,554   Posts: 1,573,148   Online: 818

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    One cannot earn a living when one has to compete with a GWC1 who will give it away free.

1 Guy/Girl With Camera
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Just hop on flickr or something, pay them $100, be done with it. I'll play devils advocate here:

What if it just got more efficient? I mean, 1 photojournalist cannot be everywhere at once, but we now have people with cameras everywhere at once. Welcome to the new age....
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Does anyone remember HuffingtonPost not paying a penny for content, then Adrianna Huffington sold it to AOL for $316 million?
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

You've hit the nail on the head?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    When your cool, new-age, high-tech business model says you must fire Pulitzer Prize award winning staff photographers and replace them with random teenagers with IPhone video cameras who just happened to be walking by, I think it tells you all you need to know about the intellectual and technological Walmart-ization of not just the newspaper industry, but of your very culture itself.

Ken
    Take a look.

http://petapixel.com/2013/05/31/sun-...s/#more-112896
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Fair enough Ken. I'm pretty aware of scatter charts btw, in fact motion charts (search Hans Rosling), the old scatter chart has even changed....

I guess I'm merely saying, technology sure changes the workforce. I am sad for the local photog's affected, but media, is always rapidly evolving though. I tend to think at a slower pace then when say Gutenberg hit the scene a few years back....
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    You've hit the nail on the head?
    And this: How the Internet Killed Photojournalism.

"Glut of imagery + short attention span = the demise of an industry. Laying off the entire Sun-Times staff probably isn’t necessary, but it’s convenient. Now you have 20 starving photographers who are desperate for freelance work earning a low day rate with no benefits.

"Blaming the situation solely on the increased demand for video content is a ruse by management to wipe the slate clean. The truth is that they are reacting to the harsh realities of the journalism business nowadays, where profits trump newsmaking."

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    35mm
    ... the harsh realities of the journalism business nowadays, where profits trump newsmaking."

Judging from the large number of newspapers that have gone out of business in the last few years, there isn't much profit to be made in that line of business.

Shooter
    Large Format
    They do it to themselves.

Shooter
    35mm
    And this: How the Internet Killed Photojournalism.

...short attention span...

Ken
    This is true, and it's what worries me.

s-a
    I photograph things to see what things look like photographed.
    - Garry Winogrand

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Last edited by zsas; 05-31-2013 at 07:39 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Double post
    Andy

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin