Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,465   Posts: 1,570,679   Online: 866

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    They do it to themselves.
    ^Or did we also change too to the same thing? I quit my Tribune subscription years back, I check the Trib on their nifty (free) iPhone app..love their PJ's....
    Andy

Shooter
    35mm
    I wonder just how many people here actually subscribe to their daily local paper.

(For the record, I do.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I did for over 20 years at my current location. Finally threw in the towel and canceled when they gutted the paper to the point I couldn't get any real news out of the thing.

They stopped covering international news. Then they largely stopped covering national news. They shrank, then eliminated the editorial pages (my favorite). And the comics. Then they shrank the physical size of the paper itself. They continually reduced the remaining local-only "news" coverage. About all that was left was stories about whether we should have red light ticketing cameras near the elementary schools. I needed a little more than that and the high school football scores.

A few years ago I walked up to the paper's booth at the local state fairgrounds. The girl there said they were soliciting suggestions for improving the paper. I replied, how about start by putting back some real news stories. And the editorials. And the comics. She just stared at me. Apparently better content was not a checkbox on her form.

Or, more telling...

I know someone who applied for a software development job at The Seattle Times. Was told the interview was going along great until the question was asked, "Do you prefer to read the news online or on paper?" When the answer was "mostly online, but sometimes it's still really nice to sit down with a real printed newspaper on a Saturday morning" the interview was essentially over. And not with a positive outcome.

When the newspapers themselves do not even have faith in their own product they have sealed their own fates.

And yes, there are parallels here...

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    I know someone who applied for a software development job at The Seattle Times. Was told the interview was going along great until the question was asked, "Do you prefer to read the news online or on paper?" When the answer was "mostly online, but sometimes it's still really nice to sit down with a real printed newspaper on a Saturday morning" the interview was essentially over. And not with a positive outcome.
    Honest answers are not always good for interviews. One needs to be saying yes to everything especially when ones mind is screaming "NO!".
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    When your cool, new-age, high-tech business model says you must fire Pulitzer Prize award winning staff photographers and replace them with random teenagers with IPhone video cameras who just happened to be walking by, I think it tells you all you need to know about the intellectual and technological Walmart-ization of not just the newspaper industry, but of your very culture itself.

Ken
    Perfectly put, great post.

Thing is, most of you guys can observe these sea changes from a comfortable distance at this point. Try being 25 in the midst of it and having a conscience. At least I'm not 18 I guess...
    'Cows are very fond of being photographed, and, unlike architecture, don't move.' - Oscar Wilde

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by batwister View Post
    Perfectly put, great post.

Thing is, most of you guys can observe these sea changes from a comfortable distance at this point. Try being 25 in the midst of it and having a conscience. At least I'm not 18 I guess...
    But that is the beauty of being young, you get handed a world of poop and then make sound decisions for your self to innovate your way forward beyond it. And it is not always youth nor technology that has any bearing on innovation, sometimes it is simply figuring out what direction you want your life to go and then everything starts to make sense to the point that you don't take it so personally, so you relax....and then the innovation comes, regardless of age.

When I am being utterly true to my self and to be quite honest, severely limit my time on the internet, I go forward in big strides, my personal and professional life do better almost instantly.

As a professional photographer who has carefully cut a deep niche, I know for a fact I have more to offer than to have my work's value be the decision of everyone around me. But I don't know whether to sympathize with or slap the Sun photogs who stayed on so long, I left staff newspaper work nearly ten years ago in seeing what was coming...the sad thing being it is going to get so much worse in that genre...

To hell with "Adapt or Die", why follow? Innovate or Die I say....
    Last edited by PKM-25; 06-01-2013 at 03:36 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zsas View Post
    Ok Ken and VPW - Where are you getting the info that the Sun Times is going to use crowd-sourced-kids-off-the-street-with-iPhones for their videography? I, like all of you are sad to hear those still photographers in my community are affected, though your characterization of videography as somehow the most revolting media in the world is frankly rude to anyone in videography. I respect your dissatisfaction with the Sun Times move, but respectfully disagree with your characterization of those who are videographers. I think you are venting about more than what is actually occurring here...
    I HAVE SAID NOTHING OF DISRESPECT to video producers... NOTHING.

The local Ganett paper and TV station are constantly encouraging and using amatures for run-of the mill stories and news.
    It's where we are, I have said nothing of disrespect, just making economic observations. Period... done with this.

I have done ENG videography for 3 decades.... nuf said about whatever disrespect conjured that I have.
    Last edited by vpwphoto; 06-01-2013 at 06:09 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof_Pixel View Post
    I wonder just how many people here actually subscribe to their daily local paper.

(For the record, I do.)
    +1

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Ok VPM, I was responding to the statements in #36 and your implied endorsement of such sentiment in #37. If you feel your endorsement of #36 via #37 doesn't include the bashing of videography, I am sorry for not realizing "bingo" only endoresed some of #36's sentiment. I've worked in the videography industry and it is as tough as any and an art, and wont stand here and let videography be marginalized.
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof_Pixel View Post

(For the record, I do.)
    If the ONLY source for daily print news in your city was owned by Rupert Murdoch, would you?
    (Yes, I do have a massive problem with him. I'm glad he lost his Australian citizenship )

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin