Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,891   Posts: 1,520,851   Online: 1129

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    Being in the advertising business, and seeing how this is related, here is something ill share that hasn't really bubbled up to the top yet. Turns out that there are big problems with "new media" as an revenue stream. Click through ratios have been going south for some time, and conversions are in free fall. Everybody has figured out how to avoid the ads. Forced ad watching is very unsuccessful. The computer user is even more likely to click away than the old school TV watcher with a remote. Attention spans are dwindling. To someone invested in the model this just sounds contrarian, but the facts are starting to roll in. The Internet is many things, but by and large it isn't a place where advertising pays big dividends, and that is becoming more true every day.
    I understand the need for revenue but from a purely journalistic standpoint, this could be good news.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    that would be great david,
    but i think it is a lot harder to write a "good article"
    than take a 'fair photograph"
    I've a degree in journalism and had worked for a few local weekly papers. Unfortunately, there aren't many "good" articles any more, even in the daily papers.
    Truzi

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Journalists have given up providing news, they have settled to more product sales at the expense of news, truth or the facts. Thus bringing on the level of disrespect that they so richly deserve.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    that would be great david,
    but i think it is a lot harder to write a "good article"
    than take a 'fair photograph"
    And these days, it is very hard to find a fair article.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    As someone who writes press releases as part of my day job, it's always disappointing to see how much of what passes for "journalism" is just mildly rewriting someone's press release, but then it's all the more encouraging when you can tell that someone's taken the time to do some additional research and write a real story.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by pstake View Post
    I understand the need for revenue but from a purely journalistic standpoint, this could be good news.
    It takes revenue to pay good photographers and reporters. This is one of the ways the Internet has suceeded in completeley lowering the bar of human endevour. Arguments to the contrary will be numerous because everybody is a fan of democracy, but democracy in endeavor is simply rabble run amock.

Shooter
    35mm
    Turns out that there are big problems with "new media" as an revenue stream. Click through ratios have been going south for some time, and conversions are in free fall.

Very true, but this doesn't mean that paper newspapers will be returning. Many papers are trying to go to a subscription based Internet paper (or by the article); somebody will figure it out eventually.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Cleveland Plain Dealer is reducing it's delivery. It will deliver only a few days a week, but it will be available at the newsstand (stores) every day. People are upset and this will likely cost them some subscriptions. Unfortunately, advertising is based on circulation, and subscriptions are a large part of determining that. I think they are risking a bad spiral.

Nearby we have two daily papers; the Lorain Morning Journal and Elyria Chronicle-Telegram. They are not as large (and in some cases not as good), but both seem to be doing well in comparison.
    Truzi

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Cleveland ceased to be much of a newspaper town when the Press folded. When the venerable Plain Dealer is compared to the Lorain and Elyria papers, this is a sad state indeed, but it wouldn't surprise me if the smaller local papers have taken over as the real source for local news, as the larger papers have become mainly vehicles for syndicated stories, and local news is even being outsourced-- http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...yperlocal-news
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It takes revenue to pay good photographers and reporters. This is one of the ways the Internet has suceeded in completeley lowering the bar of human endevour. Arguments to the contrary will be numerous because everybody is a fan of democracy, but democracy in endeavor is simply rabble run amock.
    I agree. I won't work for free. I just meant that the failure of the internet to drive ad revenue could force/capitalistically-motivate the creation of something new, a new type of medium in which the content is so good that people will cope with the ads. I wasn't trying to be Mr. Granola hippy love, furthering the age-old rivalry between the newsroom and ad dept.
    Last edited by pstake; 06-09-2013 at 10:02 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin