Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,921   Posts: 1,522,070   Online: 792

Page 1 of 11 1234567 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Chicago Sun Times sacks all staff PJ

"Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Sorry to hear

Side note, need to fix title.....Sun Times not Trib, pls ask-a-mod for a title change
    Andy

Shooter
    35mm
    Title fixed.

Shooter
    35mm
    it's the cheap move. Hand the reporters cameras, have them do both jobs. Hire hungry freelancers when you need them, hell, some will probably pay to shoot for a newspaper. Can hardly blame them though, newspapers are on th endangered list. No doubt some will call it progress. Personally, I don't.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So let me get this straight...

They fired all of their full-time staff of still photographers (including a Pulitzer Prize winner*) because,

"...our audiences are consistently seeking more video content with their news."

Then,

"The company is also preparing to supplement its freelance staff with reporters to shoot more video and photos..."

Geez...

I'm really sorry, but we didn't all just fall off the turnip truck. We all know what's going on here. We've all seen it before.

Ken

* "[John H.] White was awarded the Pulitzer Prize for Photojournalism in 1982 for his "consistently excellent work on a variety of subjects." He was selected as a photographer for the 1990 project Songs of My People. White has also won three National Headliner Awards, was the first photographer inducted into the Chicago Journalism Hall of Fame, was awarded the Chicago Press Photographer Association's Photographer of the Year award five times, and, in 1999, received the Chicago Medal of Merit."

John H. White (photojournalist), Wikipedia article
    Last edited by Ken Nadvornick; 05-30-2013 at 06:00 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."
    —'blanksy', December 13, 2013

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The statement from the Sun-Times is completely ridiculous--we're improving our service by firing all our skilled staff. They can save even more money by firing their executive staff--freelance douche bags are plentiful.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Wow, this is truly a load of BS. Boycott that paper!
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

I wrote this obit to photography yesterday... I dedicate it to John White today.

My sermon on faith, technology and why we like photographs!? Please read... thanks.

Making a photograph 10 years ago took skill and faith.
    Like a prayer the latent image vibrated in the atomic ether.
    The latent image was formed by the peculiar particle or wave that travels at speed limit of the universe. A photon's ricochet off a baby's cheek then kissing a silver halide ion, changing its atomic vibration.

The latent image, that visual prayer, could hover in the netherworld for hours or decades until it was baptized in the alkaline waters rendering it an incarnate part of the physical world.

As a photographer or portrait maker, I often felt like a priest at a funeral mass.
    I felt as if I were committing a person's incarnate image to "the ages".
    One, two, perhaps a dozen exposures, or contemplations were made and committed to the atomic ether, the latent image, that visual prayer.

Perhaps I am waxing poetic?
    I say I feel like Nik Wallenda must, being forced to use a safety net.
    I used to render an entire families' celebration to the atomic ether.

I had faith, I had faith in the physics, the alkaline waters that after a couple nights' sleep I could resurrect the images back to the physical world. I was a magician, a wizard, great photographers were just that.

Someone pulled the curtain back, and rendered my darkened sanctuary obsolete, a curiosity of the past. Photons are now converted to digital representations, the transistor and binary programing though complex are now easy and magical in their near fretless use.

In our far off post apocalyptic future, I see a youngster picking up a shoe box of stuff. Discarding a hard-drive or using it as a hammer or mirror, then holding up a negative, slide or fading, but still all too real print, perhaps enshrining it, like we enshrine a cave painting or the relics of a saint.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Klainmeister View Post
    Wow, this is truly a load of BS. Boycott that paper!
    The reason this happened is mostly economic... and because people have been Boycotting Papers by being self absorbed, and reading blogs of opinions that they agree with. -- mostly.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I guess the fact that the video accomplishing that article started automatically whilst I was reading, sums up the whole situation...

Page 1 of 11 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin