Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,958   Posts: 1,586,108   Online: 1134

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Kodak article in PetaPixel: Kodaks Problem Child

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhodes View Post

No

Shooter
    35mm
    oki

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ron Mowrey is PE. Ron Andrews is fairly active on Photo.net.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We know each other and communicate from time to time. We were both interviewed at the time of the Kodachrome demise but only his portion was used for the final version. He had much more to do with Kodachrome than I did.

The article is good but cannot tell everything due to space limitations and so it is terse and to the point.

If Ron Andrews is reading, HI Ron.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    Ron Mowrey is PE. Ron Andrews is fairly active on Photo.net.
    Not to be confused with the "Two Ronnies" of British comedy fame.
    - Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    I've never been a marketing nor manager person, but if Kodak really was in love with film, as this article proposes, they should have fought digital in the marketplace. Imagine a commercial, early 90's, maybe even as late as the early 2000's. Two photographers, maybe a son, and a daughter, all excited about the photos they took on vacation. When mom or dad asks to see some pictures, sister brings out a photo album, so does sonny. But when pop asks "Hey son, can you make me a copy of this print?" sonny replies, "I'd love to dad but my hard drive crashed and I lost all the files..." but then sister says "Oh that's ok, I got it too. Let me get the negative..."

I'm not saying Kodak would be all profitable and peachy now, but maybe, just maybe, SOMEONE somewhere could have developed a marketing strategy to show people what advantages film had over digital. And they could still launch such a campaign today, only pointing out how cool and retro film is...
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That article does as many here at Apug do too, only perceiving Kodak as a company serving photo-amateurs and maybe professionial photographers.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I wonder where Kodak would be if it were not for the shorting out of the market in 2008. I wonder if the repeal of the uptick rule in 2007 led to the naked shorting that was so rampant in 2008. And at the very least, were it not for that, would we still have Kodachrome today? While many consider digital to be a "permanent" process, any permanence is strictly in the digital file that has to be constantly transferred across storage mediums (media?) as computer technology changes. No actual output print of a digital image is probably any more stable than an old C-22 film. Kodachrome was the only truly permanent physical color likeness.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfeye View Post
    ... if Kodak really was in love with film, as this article proposes, they should have fought digital in the marketplace.
    A major project I spent a lot of time working on in the late '80s and early '90s was the Kodak Premiere Image Enhancement System. It was a 'film in - film out' system designed to replace complicated camera and darkroom image composition work. It was designed to encourage the use of film.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin