Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,926   Posts: 1,585,050   Online: 954

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    Other film bases are subject to light piping and would complicate the amateur film market.
    Not quite true. The PET base that is currently used (and intended for aerial still cameras or cine cameras/copy cameras) has this light piping characteristic.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I am not sure where "down the road" is located.

Kodak is currently making polyester and CTA film bases in Kodak Park.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Making Kodak Film has a photo of the casting wheel that is a lawn ornament at Kodak Park. There are also schematics and photos of the estar and acetate manufacturing equipment.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by laser View Post
    I am not sure where "down the road" is located.

Kodak is currently making polyester and CTA film bases in Kodak Park.

at least 6 or 8 years ago "a base" was being manufactured
    in rhode island ( i spoke to the factory, and was friends with someone who was allegedly making it )
    and at least one person at K- verified it ...

i believed the kodak rep who told me that K had no plans on stopping production
    of any traditional photographic paper too when i asked him on the phone about
    the closing of the plants in south america ... and then 2 weeks later they announced
    the end of kodak b/w paper

i guess i am just gullible ...
    Last edited by jnanian; 06-12-2013 at 09:33 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So what does this all mean? Do we now have to worry about potential quality issues as Kodak farms this out to whoever?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The naphthelenic polymer films used with APS films seemed to have great promise. Is anything being done with these? I suspect they also had light piping problems, but I don't know for certai.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jerry, I have posted that same observation on PET ruining cameras, but Bob says "motion picture print (projection)". And we had PET coated films for in-camera use back in the 60s.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    So what does this all mean? Do we now have to worry about potential quality issues as Kodak farms this out to whoever?
    I'd be even more worried if my favourite film stock is coated on the same material as movie print film, big Sony order or not ... the fact that PET is also used for plastic bottles gives me about as much confidence as the fact that gelatin is used for food and color couplers for hair dyes There may be completely different specs and requirements for film base and plastic bottles.
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Sorry to hear of those who've lost his/her job due to this strategic change

"It's certainly a blow for the Rochester community to have that capability go away and the jobs associated with that," Shanebrook added.
    Per
    http://rochesterhomepage.net/fulltext?nxd_id=394722
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Making Film Now and Into the Future – The Manufacture of Kodak Motion Picture Products

Like any business, Kodak is always looking at ways to drive operational efficiencies while maintaining product quality. And, as its traditional businesses evolve, Kodak will continue to adapt its manufacturing, distribution and support infrastructure in order to supply our customers with the products and services they have come to expect from the Kodak brand, the world’s leading producer of premier quality film for the industry.

This entails anything from shifting component supply strategies to adjusting machine loads and staffing levels.

Similarly to other components within the manufacturing process, we have chosen to look at alternative sources of acetate supply for the future – while at the same time building a significant inventory buffer of this component. We have built years’ worth of acetate base. That inventory, in combination with our ability to alternatively source acetate when we need additional capacity, makes us confident that Kodak will continue to meet customer demand for the foreseeable future.

Please know that everything we do is an effort to create sustainable models for Kodak’s silver halide products. Kodak’s motion picture film business is part of the company’s Emergence Plan, and it continues to be the largest driver of film manufacturing volume for Kodak into the future.

Kodak remains committed to participating in the film marketplace – while at the same time taking the necessary steps to ensure a viable supply of product. We are aware that there are more choices than ever today, but for those filmmakers who want to create their images on film, Kodak will supply it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin