Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,846   Posts: 1,582,715   Online: 928

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Again, this is related to motion pictures. As far as much still photography is concerned, estar is far superior to actetate. It's stronger, dimensionally stable, and resists age and handling better. Most 120 film is thin acetate. Most sheet films are polyester (I wish they all were).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not all substitute components were created equal. So, you have to do R&D to find out if they match what you are currently using. This takes money and trained staff. These are things that Kodak has been losing quite a bit of nowdays.

Therefore, I think that there will be the possibility for a decline in quality. Just MHO.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Not all substitute components were created equal. So, you have to do R&D to find out if they match what you are currently using. This takes money and trained staff. These are things that Kodak has been losing quite a bit of nowdays.

Therefore, I think that there will be the possibility for a decline in quality. Just MHO.
    In just roll film or sheet too..?

Tmax 100 & 400 in 4x5 is about the best base material I have ever encountered, even if the smooth emulsion of 100 plays havoc on AN glass carriers...
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    http://wwwca.kodak.com/global/en/pro...f32/f32f.jhtml

EDIT: Link is to the t-max data sheet showing which formats are on acetate vs. Estar.
    Last edited by Hexavalent; 06-12-2013 at 09:18 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Added description
    - Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes Ian, you have the data and it is stated in the OP.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ...Therefore, I think that there will be the possibility for a decline in quality...
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    In just roll film or sheet too..?...
    I just checked the data sheets for EKTAR, PORTRA 160 and PORTRA 400. All three say sheet sizes are on ESTAR (polyester) base. TMAX 100 and TMAX 400 as well as TRI-X sheets are also on ESTAR bases. So, for the time being, Ron's speculation applies to roll film only, at least as far as acetate outsourcing is concerned.

Shooter
    Multi Format

PE
    Terrific.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    Terrific.
    One day at a time sir, Kodak says they have years worth of the current acetate, since they are high on quality, this will hopefully give them enough time to source out good material...
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Shooter
    Large Format
    Pet film base is much more archival. For my purposes of documentation I favor it over the acetate base. For all formats 35, 120 and sheet film, I might add.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If PET didn't have the light-piping issues I'd much rather use it over an acetate base any day of the week. I am not concerned with jamming cameras with it, so that's not an issue for me. But polyesters have a very long life-time. However, if PET for all roll films meant having to screw with some kind of REMJET layer, then know, I'd rather use acetate.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin