Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,687   Posts: 1,482,351   Online: 806

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Kodak stops making acetate film base by Making KODAK Film author

Since so many APUG members have purchased my book I will comment on today's Kodak announcement.

Firstly, thank you for your orders and kind words after reading the book.

Secondly, Kodak has announced that they will stop making acetate support (cellulose triacetate, CTA) that is primarily used for still roll and motion camera films. After their existing stocks are consumed they plan on purchasing acetate for these films from other manufacturers.

I don't believe that this will cause any significant decrease in product quality or availability of Kodak photographic film. CTA is used for applications like flat screen TVs so other have learned how to make high quality CTA.

This announcement isn't surprising. As volume decreases the efficiency of support manufacturing decreases so it will be cost-effective for Kodak to purchase from someone else. However, it is another indication that volume continues to decrease.

The other film support, ESTAR, is used for sheet film and motion picture print (projection) film. ESTAR is PET (like Coke bottles) and is not affected by this announcement.

Bob
    www.makingKODAKfilm.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Bob,

Eastman Chemical is a large producer of PET; is the Kodak Estar being manufactured by Eastman Chem. anyway?
    - Ian

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    You are correct! Eastman Chemical does make PET (polyethylene terephthalate). As my book shows PET is delivered to Kodak Park in small pellet form. Kodak liquefies the pellets and then drafts and tenters (stretching lengthwise and widthwise) creating a uniform sheet that is rolled up as 54 inch wide by 10,000 foot long rolls.

Cellulose Triacetate (CTA) looks much the same when it is delivered to Kodak but the manufacturing process is quite different. The CTA is dissolved in a solvent. Then the "dope" is continuously extruded on a 60 inch wide 18 feet diameter wheel. Just before a revolution is completed it is striped off and rolled up in rolls 54 inches wide by as long as 11,000 feet.

This description greatly simplifies the process for making both supports. There is a lot of technology in the process. The resulting sheets (in roll form) have to be flat, smooth, straight, and free from imperfections when enlarged several diameters.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Bob,

I figure the market for PET is huge compared to CTA, and the market for extruded CTA even smaller still. With the rather 'touchy' financial situation at EK, it would probably makes sense to stay with one subtrate only.

Question: Are we going to see the "Big Wheel" for sale on APUG?
    - Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    hi bob

there is a manufacturer down the road from me that used to make the film base for fuji and
    i heard when they ( fuji ) closed down their carolina plant kodak was then using this base ..
    had kodak stopped making the film base a long while ago already ?
    this was maybe 8+10 years ago i am talking about not something recent ...

john

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Hexavalent View Post

Question: Are we going to see the "Big Wheel" for sale on APUG?
    One such wheel stands/stood in Kodak Park as monument.

In Europe casting is done on an endless belt.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Hexavalent View Post
    I figure the market for PET is huge compared to CTA, and the market for extruded CTA even smaller still. With the rather 'touchy' financial situation at EK, it would probably makes sense to stay with one subtrate only.
    The problem is that they can't. Other film bases are subject to light piping and would complicate the amateur film market. Kodak has long warned that when loading films using a polyester base like Estar to do it in subdued light. Polyester base can also damage motion picture cameras and projectors and so cannot be used with them.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 06-11-2013 at 10:11 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jerry, note that Bob indicates that PET film is used for MP projection.

Kodak recently had a huge order fro MP films from Sony BTW.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How about cameras? An article from many years ago said that acetate was used because it would just snap before it could do any damage. Has the polyester film been changed to prevent damage?
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 06-11-2013 at 11:28 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Looking at http://motion.kodak.com it appears that several camera films are on PET.
    - Ian

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin