Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,883   Posts: 1,520,519   Online: 818

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    jcc
    Shooter
    Multi Format

"Obsolete" — excuse me?

http://news.yahoo.com/12-obsolete-te...212632669.html

35 million rolls per year, and that's only in the U.S.!

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just one of the Agfa coating machines could spit out 850million type 135 cassettes a year.

So, see that remark from that perspective.

Edit:
    Maybe even this is not the apt perspective, but the comparison with modern outpout as done in post #8.
    Last edited by AgX; 06-13-2013 at 06:08 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I love how the only reasons they can find for using film are "lomo" cameras and nostalgia. I guess the author has never seen a 8x10 contact print.
    Last edited by jspillane; 06-13-2013 at 04:01 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ain't it funny how they mention that!

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm
    Idiots. Polaroids don't use roll film. In fact they use mostly nothing.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Remember that those who went to college and could not write, became engineers, mathematicians, physics majors, chemistry majors and computer scientists.
    Remember that those who went to college and could write and were capable of independent thought and could produce new ideas and concepts became English and history majors.
    Remember that those who went to college and could write and were capable of independent thought nor could produce new ideas and concepts became journalists.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hmm this was on Yahoo news. Seems I heard yahoo recently announced that photographers are obsolete because now everyone is a professional photographer [ with their phones, I guess ].

I'm glad to be obsolete....

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Don't worry.... the next generation, the kids of all these geeks, will rebel against their parents and make fun of their ole fuddy-duddy constant obsession with cute electronics gadgetry. Nothing goes obsolete faster... it's designed to. Rapid obsolescence is what keep the consumer
    electronics industry in business.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by NedL View Post
    Hmm this was on Yahoo news. Seems I heard yahoo recently announced that photographers are obsolete because now everyone is a professional photographer [ with their phones, I guess ].

I'm glad to be obsolete....
    Well if it was on Yahoo news, that's all I need to know. The National Enquirer of internet news.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    And in the same vein, a story here about how much the Japanese still love their fax machines (and from the bbc, not yahoo).

Interesting that in the section on pagers, the author writes about the 'advantages' of pagers compared to mobile phones, ie networks going down in an emergency. Had the author had any insight into film (or done a bit of research by asking people like us), s/he would have probably uncovered a lot of advantages that film has over digital (like <$1k worth of MF gear can produce prints better than $10k worth of digital FF, and I'm not even comparing LF yet).
    Sure, digital has a lot of advantages over film which the author touches on (like the convenience of instant-gratification of your friends 'liking' whatever you're looking at because otherwise you wouldn't know if you should be enjoying yourself or not, I think this is the video i'm thinking of), but that kind of thinking is probably in the very tiny minority on this particular forum...
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin