Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,719   Posts: 1,514,889   Online: 1063

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Porter's Camera in Iowa closed

Sad news. I've bought a fair amount of film and gear from these good folks over the years. A visit to their site tells the tale: http://www.porters.com/ As they say, support your local camera store...if you still have one, that is.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One can agree or disagree with the point of view, but it's hard to argue the honesty and sincerity contained in that farewell piece.

Ken
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."
    —'blanksy', December 13, 2013

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    One can agree or disagree with the point of view...
    I was unable to find a single word to disagree with. It is difficult to imagine anyone visiting APUG who wouldn't understand and agree with it, at least those old enough to have seen it happen.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Now film is one step closer to being dead. Boo hoo.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's not a film lament. It's a small, local business lament.
    A politician is a man who will double cross that bridge when he comes to it.

Oscar Levant

Shooter
    35mm
    As an Iowan, and a Porter's customer, I have read a different point of view. Porter's closed because it was sold to an organization which did not have photography as one of its core interests. They made the decision to close, not the longtime, hardworking Porter's employees. We have now two camera stores in Eastern Iowa, University Camera in Iowa City and Photo Pro in Cedar Rapids. Both offer good service. Photo Pro has little interest in film but their photo finishing is good. University Camera is a bizarre entity which mainly sells film, cameras, and bags.

I enjoy and patronize both stores and will continue to do so.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Camera stores have ceased trading by their tens of thousands Worldwide since the advent of digital photography and the internet, photographic equipment is now sold on line largely from warehouses on industrial estates where they pay relatively low rents and they don't need to employ expensive knowledgeable staff to demonstrate the equipment, just pickers and packers to locate and despatch the goods.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hate to see Ma & Pa stores going out of busine.

Jeff

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Never was in the store but their catalog was my go to source for gadgets and gizmos I could find no place else. They'll be missed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Business models have to change with changing consumer buying habits. True for camera stores, hardware stores, five and dimes, craft shops, dress makers, whatever...It is sad for those working in stores that cannot find a niche allowing them to stay viable, the employees generally have no control concerning their future.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin