Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,753   Posts: 1,483,904   Online: 1198

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Whether the prices "are obscene" depends if a person is buying them, or selling them, I'm sure the sellers like them
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    Go down the list of the five richest men in the world. At least two of them have been clients of mine in the last week, maybe three of them.
    Drew, next time you meet these guys, be sure to tell them it's such a pity they can't afford a print by Cliveh.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    That's the problem with this part of the world, Bob ... the money is here, and these guys spend staggering sums of it, and have in fact kept
    many of my friends employed making everything from their furniture to houses to boats to five million dollar barns for their racehorses - for at least a couple decades ... and now carbon fiber racing yachts .... but they aren't very interested in framed art like the East Coast establishment. They're basically a bunch of rich eccentric techie geeks. Lots of people are intellectually interested in fine photography around here, and pretty savvy about it, but art collecting as such is more a little old ladies' hobby, and the artist involved sure as heck has to have been dead for quite awhile. I'd had lowly millionaire types buy my prints; and even an investment banker flew clear across the country
    to buy a print from me once for his wife's birthday present. But the local auction houses just have modest period success selling the work of even canonized photographers of days of yore. ... and it's more likely to be an 8x10 contact print that sits in a little box under someone's
    bed. Given the right venue, a big expensive stuff can be sold around here... but my own gig for that kind of thing went away some time back
    when the people who owned it as well as their photography director did what we all eventually do - got old and croaked.... and the heirs
    had the choice to keep running an expensive gallery or cash in on some of the most valuable real estate in the area, right when techie companies were starting to pay top dollar for downtown highrises. So Plan B.. Plan C.... Plan Dminus....etc.... still plotting.....

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    The ultra-rich can be pretty strange, Cliveh.... you'd probably get a better price for a print from an average working stiff than from a billionaire.
    They sometimes expect things for free, like some Medieval leige lord. I know one who stiffed his loyal house painter of six months of wages,
    but then gave his janitor a fifty thousand dollar Christmas bonus.... you just never know...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin