Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,867   Posts: 1,583,245   Online: 1147

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

artdaily - Sotheby's contemporary art sale

I see on artdaily today there was a video clip showing a Sotheby’s contemporary art sale including some photographs by Andreas Gursky - http://www.artdaily.com/
    These prices seem obscene. Any thoughts?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    These things are better investments than stocks at the moment. Not surprised at all.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    It's all about conspicuous consumption. Only a fool would invest that kind of money in something too big to properly archive and that is going
    to fade in a few decades on display, if not far sooner. People who can afford that kind of thing generally don't care. It's about keeping up with
    the Jones's and obviously being rich enough to waste as much money as your peers. But the just the mounting of these big installations can
    be fairly expensive. Basically deluxe wallpaper, which they'll just switch out when they change the color of the sofa. I see the mega-rich do
    the same thing with expensive handcrafted furniture. One dude (whom I won't name) ordered up $320,000 worth of teak benches from a friend
    of mine, and instead of refreshing the finish the next year, simply had them hauled to the dump and ordered a new set. Another gazoonionaire cut down half the world's supply of Port Oxford cedar to build a house he never even bother to live in. I see this kind of thing
    all the time in this part of the world. It's more about ego than anything else. They do it because they can.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Where are you Drew?
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Large Format
    i am guessing if it is a color image the artist will replace it if it changes from its original state.
    i know i do ...

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I think Drew sometimes lives in OZ sometimes Middle earth.
    I conclude that he is the most interesting man on earth.

QUOTE=Klainmeister;1515809]Where are you Drew?[/QUOTE]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Gursky is the visual artist whose large photograph Rhein II sold for the world record highest price of USD $4,338,500 in November 2011.

He uses photography for what he does, but his target is the portion of the art market which large museums and very wealthy collectors inhabit.

He "competes" more in the rarified art world of high dollar modern painting and sculpture and multi-media work than in the photographic art world.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Perhaps he should concentrate on large scale Arial photography of world famine and use the sales to try and alleviate the cause and effect? Or am I being simplistically naive?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Go down the list of the five richest men in the world. At least two of them have been clients of mine in the last week, maybe three of them.
    It's called geography, and I'm not exaggerating. Once in awhile the gazooniaire shows up in person. I've had one of em - whose time is so valuable it isn't worth the effort to pick up a hundred dollar bill - sit down with me and haggle the price of a door lock for six hours straight!
    Build a $300 million dollar yacht - and set it aside because you want a bigger one with a full-size basketball court on the deck, then immediately
    forget that one because you found out some Arab sheik owns something more expensive, so you build a billion dollar yacht. ... those are the
    minor purchases... And that's just one of those guys. Build an entire village for your hobby and abondon it and build another one, and yet
    another one in an exotic tropical location ... A Gursky print would be pocket change to some of these guys.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Keep thirsty my friend

Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    Go down the list of the five richest men in the world. At least two of them have been clients of mine in the last week, maybe three of them.
    It's called geography, and I'm not exaggerating. Once in awhile the gazooniaire shows up in person. I've had one of em - whose time is so valuable it isn't worth the effort to pick up a hundred dollar bill - sit down with me and haggle the price of a door lock for six hours straight!
    Build a $300 million dollar yacht - and set it aside because you want a bigger one with a full-size basketball court on the deck, then immediately
    forget that one because you found out some Arab sheik owns something more expensive, so you build a billion dollar yacht. ... those are the
    minor purchases... And that's just one of those guys. Build an entire village for your hobby and abondon it and build another one, and yet
    another one in an exotic tropical location ... A Gursky print would be pocket change to some of these guys.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin