Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,497   Posts: 1,543,056   Online: 1044

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    As a courtesy to customers, they should publish the formulas for Ilfochrome processing solutions!

PE
    Has Kodak published the official formulae for E6 chemicals ? (Just asking...)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Xmas View Post
    NDAs do not expire, they normally only have one escape clause

'except with written permission from the company secretary' a UK term for a incorporated company officer.

a company secret NDA might omit that clause.

so when a company folds lots of unpublished IPR dissapears except written or computer material. I've known a company that 'lost' the process computer disc cause it was too secret to archive - normally.

Many companies firewall information like a torn up pirate treasure map to prevent one person collecting a joining present from a competitor...

So when a whole team is made redundant unless the whole team stays together they cannot easily 'find the treasure', unless they take their note books with them they will need to rely on memory.

Actually, NDAs vary from country to country. Mine had an expiration date, and even that was ruled invalid by the courts here because the job "Photo Engineer" was so restrictive, many of us could not get jobs if laid off unless we violated the NDA in some way or another. So, the NDA was ruled to be excessive restriction in a small area of potential re-employment. You see, we had become too specialized.

As for someone buying Ilfords formulas, well, no one is going to get into coating the paper so that is virtually out. That leaves just the paper out there and the people willing and able to mix their own! That market is "frozen in time" and will eventually vanish. Who wants to make processing chemistry for a vanishing market?

Just about everything Ilford owns in this color range of products is defunct forever.

Even Kodak has published their formulas for processing and coating in patents which will either expire in a few years or in which the claims are not for the processing solutions. Thus, the chemistry is being donated to us in those publications. It is for you to look up the patents and get that data.

Even Ilfochrome formulas are out there in patents in one form or another. A good researcher will find them in a German or Swiss patent! I admit that the formulas are "generic", but with some tinkering they can be made to work. But then I alluded to that above.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by railwayman3 View Post
    Has Kodak published the official formulae for E6 chemicals ? (Just asking...)
    Fuji did in their Provia 400X patent, see the discussion here.
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Shooter
    Medium Format

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Ilford brand will live on.

A consortium of a japanese and an australian company have bought the brand (and seemingly all IP). It seems that inkjet materials of Ilford Imaging will live on under that brand, even with same characteristics.

Harman will keep their brand licence for use on their b&w materials (marketed in their Ilford Photo range).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    The Ilford brand will live on.

Harman will keep their brand licence for use on their b&w materials (marketed in their Ilford Photo range).
    I was hoping that Harman would acquire full rights to the Ilford brand name, not only for those products that existed before the split, since "Ilford" is a much stronger photographic brand than "Harman Technology".

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Harman has a good position with "Ilford Photo" and their b&w products still bearing their classic names. The problem rather is that the confusion is going on. Also it is not clear what new products under the Ilford brand will emerge from the new owners aside ink-jet related ones.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew.roos View Post
    I was hoping that Harman would acquire full rights to the Ilford brand name, not only for those products that existed before the split, since "Ilford" is a much stronger photographic brand than "Harman Technology".
    The other side of the coin is that lots of people only buy own store brands in supermarkets or generic drugs because they are cheaper and in some cases the same product made in same factory.

I happen to have 30m box of Kentmere 400 beside me it says "Harman Technology" on it and Mobberley.

I like the larger grain and it is cheaper...

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Xmas View Post
    The other side of the coin is that lots of people only buy own store brands in supermarkets or generic drugs because they are cheaper and in some cases the same product made in same factory.

I happen to have 30m box of Kentmere 400 beside me it says "Harman Technology" on it and Mobberley.

I like the larger grain and it is cheaper...
    But that is not Milford Film, if it has specifically said that they do not outsource their film any longer to other companies for rebranding, they decided it was too obvious and that people knew that the film was there and so they would buy that instead of the more expensive namebrand, so they stopped doing it.

Kentmere is not ilford.
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    But both are brands and both films behind these brands are made by Harman. And that is what Xmas indicated.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin