Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,283   Posts: 1,534,921   Online: 893

Page 10 of 55 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151620 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    A blog was added to the Film Ferrania site: http://www.filmferrania.it/blog/
    My cameras:
    Fed 2
    Zenit 11, 12XP
    Nikon F4, F4S, F401S, F601, F801, F801S, F50, F55, F60, F65, F70, F75, F80, F90, F90X, EL2, FE, FM, FG, FG-20, EM

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So far it only contains that text already shown here in post #41.

But, let's have a look at that site in the weeks to come.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    I take the stand that who is able to engineer colour-films, which are based on seperate layers similar to those monochrome films, is also able to engineer classis monochrome films.
    I wasn't saying they couldn't, just about the wisdom of entering a niche market where there is only probably room for a limited number of players. But ho, hum, what will be, will be.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybertrash View Post
    As someone with little understanding of markets and such things, why would this be bad for other manufacturers? I've always thought that competition is a healthy thing for a market.
    I would agree that's usually the case, but B & W is now a niche market, and if there are too many firms competing in it, you could have a situation where none of them can make a reasonable profit. So I hope the new Ferrania will concentrate on colour, where our choices seem to be reducing rapidly. With B & W there are still lots of options, despite the loss of some old favourites.

Shooter
    35mm
    If Ferrania did bring back some of the ancient types of B&W I'd certainly give them a try. But it would be extra shooting, not reducing my support of Ilford products for "important" work.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brac View Post
    I would agree that's usually the case, but B & W is now a niche market, and if there are too many firms competing in it, you could have a situation where none of them can make a reasonable profit. So I hope the new Ferrania will concentrate on colour, where our choices seem to be reducing rapidly. With B & W there are still lots of options, despite the loss of some old favourites.
    I think if they come out with an E-6 product they should have a "kit" package since proper E-6 kits are hard to come by in many areas, providing that would be a huge boost over buying fuji E-6 or even other C-41 films... opinion for sure but still, a viable option, include a box of concentrated packets and 4x5 E-6 film and you're in business...

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Some good news to hear. If they are able to position themselves well, we can have a winner.

Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    I take the stand that who is able to engineer colour-films, which are based on seperate layers similar to those monochrome films, is also able to engineer classis monochrome films.
    Assuming they have the very same machinery, the formulas on hand and the technicians that worked on it. It should seemingly be "straightforward" to begin production again. It's amazing how complex it is, as they state being on R&D, for sure reformulating but perhaps they are getting their old emulsions a leap forward.

As of formulas, should one want to produce eg. Ektachrome 100G but on their premises; Is the formula public? I recall PE writing something about working on Gold 400 and how he had the formula. IIRC, this was one of the major resource hogs, reformulating. A sad outcome of a (probable) exit of the big two would be the technology loss on how their films are way advanced given the huge R&D they have benefited for decades.

...We could recover the old plan of keeping PE in a barn for our own coating; but instead sending him to italy, for a holiday...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Prest_400 View Post
    ...We could recover the old plan of keeping PE in a barn for our own coating; but instead sending him to italy, for a holiday...
    It's not just Italy, it's the Italian Riviera! I think PE might be quite all right with this plan, assuming he didn't yield to the temptation to wander over to Monte Carlo and lose the startup capital at the baccarat tables...

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    News from Italy ! ScotchChrome 100 improved to be remanufactured first : http://www.filmferrania.it/blog/2013/8/1/chrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Awesome news - and they point out it was available before in three speeds. The 800 was pretty darned grainy IIRC, don't know about the 640 but if they could, after the 100, market a 640 slide film with good image charateristics and controlled grain that would be MOST welcome, at least by me.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin