Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,914   Posts: 1,556,291   Online: 970

Page 14 of 119 FirstFirst ... 48910111213141516171819202464114 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Hope it comes soon, if Fuji stops making E-6, hope Ferrania will be selling BEFORE that happens, otherwise the gap in between could kill it simply from people switching to another film...
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I don't see how that comment would fix the real world, Stone. Chrome shooters can be remarkably fussy, and Fuji's shoes aren't going to be
    easily filled by anyone else. If you want to do us a real favor, figure out how to make and process 5x7 Kodachrome again!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    I don't see how that comment would fix the real world, Stone. Chrome shooters can be remarkably fussy, and Fuji's shoes aren't going to be
    easily filled by anyone else. If you want to do us a real favor, figure out how to make and process 5x7 Kodachrome again!
    How is that a favor to anyone, go but some Eastman Double-X in 4x5, you'll be investing in something more worthwhile anyway (only a few more orders (under 10) to go... That's real, it happening, kodak says yes to that, kodak says no to K-14...

I agree with the fussy bit though, long live Velvia50!
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ferrania won't replace Fuji, but Stone is right that it would help if they come out with ASAP. The more chrome film on the market, assuming it's decent, the more people are likely to try it (E6 in general) and/or continue using it, and that increases the likelihood not only of there being SOME E6 but of Fuji continuing to find enough market there to make it.

And if we are trying to bring back dead chrome films, let's focus on those we have some real chance of. Fuji has brought back film before so I nominate, in order, Provia 400X and Astia.
    Last edited by Roger Cole; 01-21-2014 at 06:48 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Astia barely sold. In this world where landscape shooters not only want saturation, but want to go back in with Fauxtoshop and slather the
    sugar cubes with jam and honey, the whole concept of "less is more" seems close to extinction... a complete dialectic polarization to the "bland mud isn't bland or muddy enough" mentality of artsy-fried color neg shooters. I was digging thru the freezer last nite seeing just what was in
    there. I know there's a full box of 8X10 Astia 100F, and a whole bunch of boxes of the old version, though in its rarer tungsten-balanced variety, and possibly just too old ... But if Fuji happened to reinstate any chrome film in this country again, 100F would get my vote.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It wold a few rolls to me but I had just discovered it when they canceled it. It (I know I'm preaching to the choir here to Drew) was not bland at all, but rich, vibrant but realistic and not overly contrasty. It looks real, and works in light just too contrasty for Provia. E100G was my replacement and it was pretty good too but I preferred Astia.

I then found that not only was Provia 400X amazingly good for a 400 film allowing shooting slides in light I otherwise couldn't without pushing (and pushing 1-2 stops itself if needed) but it was/is significantly lower in contrast than Provia 100 so it became my "lower contrast, more realistic saturation" film even in better light as long as I could tolerate the grain, which was great for a 400 film but still more than slower films. Of course they discontinued it too.

My tastes are just not in line with the more popular ones it seems.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Ferrania won't replace Fuji, but Stone is right that it would help if they come out with ASAP. The more chrome film on the market, assuming it's decent, the more people are likely to try it (E6 in general) and/or continue using it, and that increases the likelihood not only of there being SOME E6 but of Fuji continuing to find enough market there to make it.

And if we are trying to bring back dead chrome films, let's focus on those we have some real chance of. Fuji has brought back film before so I nominate, in order, Provia 400X and Astia.
    The ONLY way that Ferrania will attract new chrome shooters is if their film is significantly cheaper than Fujifilm's. Perhaps those wanting a high speed film would also be go with that if one were made. But otherwise, Provia and Velvia offer slide film shooters about as good a product as one could hope for. The problem is the high price.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Astia may not have sold but it wasn't really muted or dull at all just realistically rich and accurate without excess contrast. I loved it for projected slides as well as scanning. Of course I discovered it just before they canceled it, so I went to E100G which was also a very good film but a bit more saturated and contrasty than Astia - and then Kodak canceled all slide film. Then I really noticed that the Provia 400X I had been shooting for low light was superbly moderate in contrast itself with rich color - and it got canned. My tastes just aren't mainstream, it seems.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My tastes just aren't mainstream, it seems.
    Don't feel alone Roger, I would have to think many shooters these days are trying their best to accurately determine the best source to support if not the exact film.
    I know several LF users who used Astia and Velvia 50 for landscape work. Not sure what happened there even after petitioning to save the V-50 in 4x5. In fact, it was saved to a point and was even repackaged as well as being repriced too for release. However, it never happened.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Images View Post
    Don't feel alone Roger, I would have to think many shooters these days are trying their best to accurately determine the best source to support if not the exact film.
    I know several LF users who used Astia and Velvia 50 for landscape work. Not sure what happened there even after petitioning to save the V-50 in 4x5. In fact, it was saved to a point and was even repackaged as well as being repriced too for release. However, it never happened.
    I had posted for a group buy for 4x5 Velvia50 from japan (since they still make it just won't ship it). And someone posted a Japanese company that would ship it to the US, the total cost (including shipping) was about $95-$90 depending on how many boxes were bought. Which seems promising. But again I agree with you, why in the heck did they discontinue shipping Velvia50 to the US, I can't imagine it sold MORE than Velvia100... Heck I don't even know if it could sell more than Provia100f in sheet film... It just baffles (and frustrates) me...

And along with what others said, the only way Ferrania will do well with E-6 despite the price, is to have a different film than Velvia, possibly more in line with Portra, but have a Velvia50-like film in their pipeline so that when Fuji discontinues their E-6 (which will happen despite our not wanting it to) they can suddenly replace the Fuji saturated film with their own saturated film.

Secondly, offer home developing kits, buy 1-2 pro packs and get a home developing kit for the rolls... That will make them MUCH more popular...

I think anyway.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin