Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,765   Online: 857

Page 15 of 55 FirstFirst ... 5910111213141516171819202125 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Enough other people offer E6 chemistry that I see no need for them to do that.

We already know it's going to be an E6 100 speed film. Given that, what I want more than anything is more moderate contrast than Provia 100, something closer to E100G or Astia. They will never compete with Velvia and probably not with Provia especially given the latter is basically available at lower price as Agfa Precisa. It needs to be different - and I'd love something more natural and less over the top.

Of course if Fuji drops E6 that does open the market for another super saturated slide film, granted. But until that happens they aren't going to sell much of it. Ok, maybe if it's 1/2 the price and "almost as good" as Velvia. What do you think the odds are of that happening? No, I still think their best bet is a film that is sufficiently different from existing Fuji offerings to appeal as something different.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Stone, I totally agree and share in your frustration. I worked directly with the person who ran the original petition to save Velvia 50 in 4x5 from extinction. Overall, as you've pointed out in your comment, it really never was totally discontinued. It just is not imported into USA, UK, AUS, NZ, or many other locales around the globe. Basically only sold in Japan as far as I know. I've actually seen it priced as high as $140 a box directly from Japan. I love the stuff and have only really shot V-50 for 20+ years, as it was available. But I'm not paying prices like that for 20 sheets.

So, to try and figure out why we're now shipped only V-100, V-100f, and Provia is puzzling. In fact, Fuji USA site still shows V-50 in 4x5 sheets offered up as a product on their website. Although, admittedly we know websites do lag behind in reality with products in a lot of cases. So, don't get excited about this link. Almost a year ago I got the word direct from Fuji USA, NO MORE V-50 in sheets to be imported. This was after all the time we spent on the petition and working with Japan.

FUJI Velvia 50

I'd have to say I'm still well stocked to date after going overboard when I knew it was being discontinued or not imported as it were to the USA in sheets. But, that will not last for ever the way I burn through film. Anyway, I guess I can say I'm at least thankful the other E-6 stuff is still out there so far.
    Last edited by Trail Images; 01-21-2014 at 11:03 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Enough other people offer E6 chemistry that I see no need for them to do that.
    What other people offer a 6 bath E6 kit? Sorry I failed to mention 6 bath home kit (not 3 bath crap).

Quote Originally Posted by Trail Images View Post

So, to try and figure out why we're now shipped only V-100, V-100f, and Provia is puzzling.
    Well like I said I know a guy now to get it for about $90 a box (price includes shipping) direct from Japan. So let me know if you want in on some

Also, sorry, V100f is no longer being made, it's just so crappy there was a lot of it left in stock piles, but that's totally discontinued and not being made by Fuji.

Only V50, V100 and P100f are still being made by Fuji.

Just still don't get why V100 was chose OVER V50... Blah...

I think it's a grand plot to get us to spend extra cash IN the Japanese market and boost their economy ... Haha

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yeah, you didn't mention 6 bath. And your view that 3 bath is crap is pretty well known by now.

I never had a single problem with 3 bath E6 as I've said before. Extend the blix time, get a separate stabilizer, and don't worry about it.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Yeah, you didn't mention 6 bath. And your view that 3 bath is crap is pretty well known by now.

I never had a single problem with 3 bath E6 as I've said before. Extend the blix time, get a separate stabilizer, and don't worry about it.
    Can't do any bleach bypass work... Just as an additional limitation.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bleach by-pass? Well processes have been modified all kinds of ways so I guess there is some way that bypasses the bleach. But can't you use an alkaline BW style fixer if you want like you can with color neg, like TF-5?

Anyway, I never wanted to do that, or even know why you would.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Bleach by-pass? Well processes have been modified all kinds of ways so I guess there is some way that bypasses the bleach. But can't you use an alkaline BW style fixer if you want like you can with color neg, like TF-5?

Anyway, I never wanted to do that, or even know why you would.
    You would do it if you wanted to create an image with a unique and different look than standard colors and contrast, without the use of photoshop...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bleach_bypass

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390380434.170222.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	271.6 KB 
ID:	80663

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    And along with what others said, the only way Ferrania will do well with E-6 despite the price, is to have a different film than Velvia, possibly more in line with Portra, but have a Velvia50-like film in their pipeline so that when Fuji discontinues their E-6 (which will happen despite our not wanting it to) they can suddenly replace the Fuji saturated film with their own saturated film.
    One should not forget that concerning necessary investments it is one thing reviving a proven formula, on the prerequisite that all necessary elements can be employed, but another thing to make a new film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My guess is they are going for the former, but how good was their Scotch 100 anyway?

http://www.filmferrania.it/blog/2013/8/1/chrome

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by miha View Post
    My guess is they are going for the former, but how good was their Scotch 100 anyway?

http://www.filmferrania.it/blog/2013/8/1/chrome
    Sorry I dont have access to a scanner so I cant post any images. I shot both the older 3M version and the new Scotch 100 and found the newer version to be neutral tones with good grain. At the time it was being sold in some of the discount dept stores (KMart) that still carried film and cameras at a good price. I now shoot negative film, but would shoot Scotch 100 again.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin