Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,949   Posts: 1,557,878   Online: 888

Page 17 of 120 FirstFirst ... 7111213141516171819202122232767117 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Bill,
    It is nice to dream of things we would like to see, but the reality is different.
    First question you have to ask yourself is: where are those "million" of people that would like to see Ektachrome back?
    Are those the same millions that stopped using film and bought millions of Iphones and other D devices?
    Or, is it more realistic to say that only a small minority, a few thousands, still use film daily or at least once or twice a week?
    The sales of what film remains in production speaks for itself: just look at Fuji or Kodak sales figures.
    The market has shrunk a lot.

So, how does Ferrania is going to compete with such a small market?
    They have to scale down from what they used to produced. They can't afford to employ 4000 people as they used to. And the machinery has to change.
    But, better is to read from the man in charge. Here is an interview with Nicola where he outlines his plans:
    http://www.japancamerahunter.com/201...ive-interview/

When Film Ferrania is ready, we will hear the news. No doubt about that!
    Fed 2, 4, 5
    Zenit 11, 12XP
    Olympus OM-1N, OM-2N, OM10, OMG
    A bunch of Nikons

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Why should someone invest in a own production, just to have a product toll-manufactured by another company?
    Well, we know nothing about the background of Film Ferrania, so we actually cannot answer this.
    Shrug. They shouldn't. Though someone who could take on the marketing and distribution might be able to get Kodak to whip up some more E6 cheaper than doing it themselves, dunno. I'll be happy with another E6 choice. Someone just mentioned it and the Kodak emulsions are known quantities.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo Miranda View Post
    or at least once or twice a week?
    Well I shoot film twice a week but never E6 processing is too difficult.
    Only one C41 colour last year.
    But if you wanted to make E6 id not start from a line that has been out of service for a few years that is like testing an umbrella by jumping out the 40th floor.
    If they planned on a cheap 400ISO mono selling on eBay no middleman, id get a PayPal account.
    Be nice if I was wrong.

Shooter
    35mm
    My impression is that the folks behind the Italian effort were mostly movie film users who were SHOCKED at the discontinuance of 16mm Ektachrome 100D. the inspiration is to make a good 100 ISO film for Movie use, being a close as legaly possible to the known formulas used in Scotch Chrome, to avoid R&D risk. The factory apparently has all the packaging tooling to make up 16mm, Super 8 and Regular 8 film still available. This is a market that Fuji is not occupying. Fuji's Movie product was "single 8" and they have allowed that to fall by the wayside in the last year or two. Fuji also did not directly offer a 16mm reversal product since the days of filmed TV news.

Now if the Kodak Allaris folks do start shopping to a plant to produce film besides good old building 38. They have two coating facilities - harrow and Colorado which were making paper at the time they took over the business. PE has confirmed that Harrow DID make film not that long ago, although probably not the current formulas. My guess is taht if they wanted to make some Ektachrome and EK was not willing to go along, they would turn to there OWN facilities before seeking help in the sunny south of Europe.
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Wittner Kinotechnik did a visit to the new film ferrania factory and they wrote a report:

http://wittner-kinotechnik.de/info/f...ania/index.php
    (Google Translated) http://translate.google.com/translat...ia%2Findex.php

As Charles said in the last post, there is quite much excitement about their production and infact this company (Wittner) is dedicated to the finishing of MP film.
    Interesting to see the installations, it is stated thet their installation is a former research building and it was operative until recently. Nice to see the coating machine (cascade coater I can see) and how the "diminutive" machine needs so much extra support.
    It must be a toy compared to Kodak's B38 coater.

Looks great

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you for this interesting link! It would be so great to get new slide film from them, and I would buy it even if the Fuji slide films stay available in order to support them!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I would assume it will be tailored to skin tones more which is good news as I'm not as much a fan of Provia100f unless it's a mix landscape-model image. Would be nice. Hope it turns out to be really good film.
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As a very long time transparency shooter only to date, I sincerely hope for the best out of this project........good luck to them.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I just hope they come out with some kind of home processing kit that comes in smaller quantities that's more reasonable for the average person to use that's a 6/7 bath kit instead of the 3 bath kits. And sell it as a package deal, film and chemistry.
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I just hope they come out with some kind of home processing kit that comes in smaller quantities that's more reasonable for the average person to use that's a 6/7 bath kit instead of the 3 bath kits. And sell it as a package deal, film and chemistry.

The thrust of the film ferania project is MP film, which requires large batch processing for constancy. for home use there are the kits that are already available. Starting ANY sort of Chemical production would be out of scope for their project. Lets just hope that the making of FILM does get going and that some distribution occurs in the north American market.
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin