Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,220   Posts: 1,532,307   Online: 891

Page 18 of 45 FirstFirst ... 81213141516171819202122232428 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I would assume it will be tailored to skin tones more which is good news as I'm not as much a fan of Provia100f unless it's a mix landscape-model image.
    What was the old Scotch Chrome film like? (It was gone before I returned to film, and in my youth we were a resolutely Fuji household and I was pretty clueless anyway.)

I'd like to see something with a warmer palette, like the old RSX films, as a market companion to the Fuji line. I like Provia 100F a lot, personally, but it definitely leaves some complementary niches open. (And the various Velviae are terrific at what they do, but their color rendition is just too Wagnerian for me.)

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The old Scotts Guard was made by 3M, it was sold by K mart and other discount stores as a house brand. The newer emulsion was developed in the 90s, Ferrania states that has nothing in common with the 3M emulsion, the Ferrania I shot in the 90 and early 2000s was nutural, I liked it as well as other E 6s of the time. If Ferrania new film makes it to market in the US I will try it.

Shooter
    127 Format
    I want to buy a bunch of Ferrania film today!
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    With new rhumors of Fuji killing another US imported E6 line of film, (Velvia100) I'm wondering how far along Ferrania is?
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wanna' know what would be da' sheeeets?

If Film Ferrania really was successful in bringing a re-engineered E-6 transparency film back to the market, and it turned out to be a wonderful film.

And Kodak E-6 was already tanked. Then Fuji E-6 also tanked. Then mainline E-6 was only available from the new Ferrania.

And their converted R&D/test coating equipment was too small to handle the remaining worldwide niche market demand for E-6. But there wasn't nearly enough worldwide niche market demand to resurrect the main coating lines.

And they have already let it be known that their original primary motivation was to supply the 8mm/16mm cine markets. Presumably to prevent extinction of those formats.

So we might end up in a permanent gray limbo situation where E-6 still photographers never had an assured supply. It was out there. It was fresh. It was good. But there just was never enough of it to go around, year to year.

That would really suck...

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Now that there, is what we call a Buzz Kill...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ambaker View Post
    Now that there, is what we call a Buzz Kill...
    I just wanted to be the first person in recent memory to whine about a possible situation of over demand and under supply of photographic film in the marketplace.

Wouldn't THAT be a kick-in-the-butt reversal?

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    I just wanted to be the first person in recent memory to whine about a possible situation of over demand and under supply of photographic film in the marketplace.

Wouldn't THAT be a kick-in-the-butt reversal?

Ken
    All those nice things I said about you in the PM the other day... I take them back!!

Hehe
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    With new rhumors of Fuji killing another US imported E6 line of film, (Velvia100) I'm wondering how far along Ferrania is?
    There are?

Ugh. I'm not a huge Velvia fan as it's just too contrasty for my tastes, but when I do want it, it's mostly in flat lighting which also tends to be dim and 100 is a lot more useful to me than 50. I KNOW the 50 is somewhat "better" in the classic Velvia sense, but that extra stop is sure useful.

OTOH, Provia and the less expensive Precisa version of it is proving to be a pretty good film for me. I've got to find someone with better scans than Dwayne's that doesn't cost much more though, or buy myself a film scanner. I got back the worst scans ever even from Dwayne's from my Mardi Gras in New Orleans slides and thought something was wrong with the film. Popped them on a light box - nope, film looks gorgeous. Scans are crap even by Dwayne's standards.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    There are?

Ugh. I'm not a huge Velvia fan as it's just too contrasty for my tastes, but when I do want it, it's mostly in flat lighting which also tends to be dim and 100 is a lot more useful to me than 50. I KNOW the 50 is somewhat "better" in the classic Velvia sense, but that extra stop is sure useful.

OTOH, Provia and the less expensive Precisa version of it is proving to be a pretty good film for me. I've got to find someone with better scans than Dwayne's that doesn't cost much more though, or buy myself a film scanner. I got back the worst scans ever even from Dwayne's from my Mardi Gras in New Orleans slides and thought something was wrong with the film. Popped them on a light box - nope, film looks gorgeous. Scans are crap even by Dwayne's standards.
    Dwayne's is great at making prints and developing film, but HORRIBLE at scanning.... I figured by now they might have fixed that (since my complaint in January 2011 I refused 50 scanned rolls of Kodachrome that were all horrible... but apparently have not gotten better...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin