Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,218   Posts: 1,532,200   Online: 948

Page 20 of 45 FirstFirst ... 101415161718192021222324252630 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Film from Italy -- Ferrania starting production 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Prof_Pixel View Post
    I'm not sure it's safe to assume that since Fuji and Kodak couldn't make money on E6 film, Ferrania would be able to find the market profitable. It may just be that more likely the E6 market no longer exists at a sustainable level.
    Well again profit depends on the cost of the machining etc, kodak has a much bigger amount of machines and building costs and so do Fuji... Film Ferrania will have a smaller machine, smaller building costs etc. And probably fewer greedy overpayed management demanding unearned over bloated salaries that suck up all the profit...
    Last edited by StoneNYC; 04-06-2014 at 04:04 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    35mm
    I wish the folks at Ferrania well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    EK was too big for that market, even when they were still a film company. That market was too small for EK, even when they were still a film company. And now EK is no longer even a film company, save for one final major contract, soon to expire.

So yes (my tongue-in-cheek posts above notwithstanding), we are all wishing Ferrania well.

And no, I don't think Ferrania would have undertaken the not-insubstantial risks involved with their target E-6 product if they didn't think they had already successfully defined, and could populate, the required market/manufacturing sweet spot.

Whether, in fact, they actually can do that remains to be seen. But we do wish them well. They are the last, best hope. Or maybe the second to the last, best...

Ken
    Last edited by Ken Nadvornick; 04-06-2014 at 08:34 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Grammer..
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Film Ferrania will have a smaller machine, smaller building costs etc.
    How could you possibly know this?
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    And probably fewer greedy overpayed management demanding unearned over bloated salaries that suck up all the profit...
    Kodak has not shown an operating profit in years (or decades now).
    CatLABS of JP
    Darkroom resources and service

www.catlabs.info | https://www.facebook.com/CatLABS.of.JP | www.jobo-usa.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CatLABS View Post
    Click here for an excellent progress overview article gleaned from a personal visit by the author to the Film Ferrania facilities only about 2+ months ago. It's a well-illustrated article.

These Ferrania guys don't appear to be goofing around. They look like they mean business...

Ken
    Last edited by Ken Nadvornick; 04-06-2014 at 05:18 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

Blech, Kodak. Corporate idiocy at it's highest level.. They did nothing right based on their pompous belief that they were supreme.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Answered

Not showing an operating profit, doesn't mean the company isn't actually profiting, or that the executives aren't making some serious bank...

If the executives took a pay cut, the company could probably show a profit, but having a loss can actually help them make money by writing off the losses, it's all a game...

The executives still get paid, and well...
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'll certainly buy a few bricks of whatever new E6 film they come up with on the first day its available.
    I shoot digital when I have to (most of those shots end up here) and film (occasionally one of those shots ends up here) when I want to.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    You are the Master, I am merely the unworthy Grasshopper...

Ken
    Only you can push your own development.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    Only you can push your own development.
    Click...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin