Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,661   Posts: 1,623,874   Online: 904

Page 24 of 146 FirstFirst ... 14181920212223242526272829303474124 ... LastLast
    AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    I believe their original plans may have been to start just with the 8/16mm movie film. They wanted to preserve that medium. I'm guessing the scope may have exploded after that goal went public?
    Yes, I understand that. But the question whether to make cine or still film is just a question of conversion from the same masterroll, if one refrains from that rem-jet coating, as done before.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Yes, I understand that. But the question whether to make cine or still film is just a question of conversion from the same masterroll, if one refrains from that rem-jet coating, as done before.
    Did they ever produce cine film? I think there will be a big demand for E6 cine films, in the future, since that has a niche market for super8 etc.

Whats the deal with rem-jet backing anyway? Why doesnt C41 or E6 have it?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nzoomed View Post
    Did they ever produce cine film? I think there will be a big demand for E6 cine films, in the future, since that has a niche market for super8 etc.

Rem-jet is a very effective anti-halation backing. At the same time, it provides both excellent lubrication and dispersal of heat in high-speed cinema shooting.

It's downsides are that it adds complexity in processing.

Still films don't usually require or benefit from it significantly. The exception was Kodachrome, but that was because Kodachrome was always designed to be processed in high volume roller transport systems which were set up to process both slides and movies.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Rem-jet is a very effective anti-halation backing. At the same time, it provides both excellent lubrication and dispersal of heat in high-speed cinema shooting.

It's downsides are that it adds complexity in processing.

Still films don't usually require or benefit from it significantly. The exception was Kodachrome, but that was because Kodachrome was always designed to be processed in high volume roller transport systems which were set up to process both slides and movies.
    OK that answers alot!
    It probably is not really necessary for small format films, If they made cine film without remjet backing, it would make it a breeze to process. But i expect they will be making E6 cine film anyway, kodak still has the major market in negative cine film.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format

Yes, Ferrania made cine films. It was a manufacturer with a wide range.

And there was life before rem-jet too.
    It is a feature introduced by the market leader and by that regarded as standard.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Hi AgX

REMJET was only on ECN and Kodachrome?
    note "'?'"

Noel

Shooter
    35mm RF
    OK that answers alot!
    It probably is not really necessary for small format films, If they made cine film without remjet backing, it would make it a breeze to process. But i expect they will be making E6 cine film anyway, kodak still has the major market in negative cine film.
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrania

Don't think E6 ever had REMJET.

Shooter
    35mm
    Rem-Jet is the Top Level of anti-halation, Anti-static, and positive lubrication systems for film, but because of the need to remove it as part of the processing steps, it is only found in in certain processes, Kodachrome, and ECN & ECN2 as well as older versions of ECP and ECP2. I am not sure if ME4 also featured rem jet removal.

It was phased out of of ECP, and the film redesigned with a process survivable anti-static / lubricating layer to eliminate a wash step, at about the same time that Silver tracks were replaced with dye tracks (again Cutting out a wash step with the cost of switching all the sound heads in every theatre projector to LED or Laser Light sources.)

When I first started playing with home processing of Cine Colour Negative, some of the Fuji Stocks did not have rem-jet, while all the Kodak stocks and the Agfa Stocks did. The AGFA rem-jet seemed to loosen easier than the Kodak. Alas AGFA was one of the first to discontinue their Movie Negative. ECN2 replaced the ECN in much the same manor as C41 replaced C22 and e6 replaced E4 - similar changes in times, temperatures and chemicals

The Ekatchrome E100D, T64 and the custom made stocks converted from various fuji transparency films did not use REM-JET, nor does the AviPhot 200D. So no e-6 does not have any provision for REM-Jet.
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

Shooter
    35mm
    OH and At one time Ferrania did make a cine Negative, but it was discontinued before my time so I am not sure if they used rem-jet at the time. Some European films were probably done of Ferrania Stock but I can't seem to search fro technical specs on IMDB.COM, perhaps you need the paid version. The two titles that came to mind show as shot on EASTMAN 50T 5241
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Rem-Jet is the Top Level of anti-halation, Anti-static, and positive lubrication systems for film
    As you indicated other substances have been found to coat films.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin