Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,898   Posts: 1,584,338   Online: 790

Page 25 of 141 FirstFirst ... 15192021222324252627282930313575125 ... LastLast
    AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Rem-Jet is the Top Level of anti-halation, Anti-static, and positive lubrication systems for film
    As you indicated other substances have been found to coat films.

Shooter
    35mm
    From what i understand, ECN2 films are processed identical to c-41, except for the removal of the rem-jet backing.
    If they produced such films without the rem-jet you would find they would be popular, since it would be alot easier to process.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nzoomed View Post
    From what i understand, ECN2 films are processed identical to c-41, except for the removal of the rem-jet backing.
    If they produced such films without the rem-jet you would find they would be popular, since it would be alot easier to process.
    The two processes are similar, but not identical. ECN2 films are inherently of lower contrast, as they are designed to be printed on to film stock, rather than paper, and the ECN2 process is optimized with that in mind.

You can develop either film in either process, but your results will not be optimum. Some of the problems you encounter if you do may be correctable using digital means, but not all of them.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Film from Italy -- Ferrania starting production 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Nzoomed View Post
    Not true at all, the color couplers are different and I've seen PE warm that using C-41 with ECN-2 film may not have long color stability.

My own experiments with that yielded great reds but every other color was off.
    Last edited by StoneNYC; 07-03-2014 at 07:03 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: whoops, color couplers...
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    The two processes are similar, but not identical. ECN2 films are inherently of lower contrast, as they are designed to be printed on to film stock, rather than paper, and the ECN2 process is optimized with that in mind.

You can develop either film in either process, but your results will not be optimum. Some of the problems you encounter if you do may be correctable using digital means, but not all of them.
    You should really scratch mix the ECN developer rather than use C41. The colour couplers are different.

The ECN is nice film.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Not true at all, the dye stabilizers etc are different and I've seen PE warm that using C-41 with ECN-2 film may not have long color stability.

My own experiments with that yielded great reds but every other color was off.
    OK, thats interesting, i asked on another thread regarding this and said it was the same. Either way i think that ECN2 films would be great in still cameras, there is a company that sells it loaded in 35mm canisters with the remjet removed and ready to go in a C41 lab.
    Thats why i thought it was ok to use C41, they all said it was OK.

Does ECN-2 film have the orange mask like on C41 film?
    I thought they had a clear base, but i saw a video on youtube of someone removing the remjet backing on some motion picture film and it had an orange mask.
    Much nicer to scan clear film base, and that rollei CN200 has a clear base. Im keen to shoot some.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The mask improves the colour of the shadows and highlights, it should not annoy a scanner.

The C41 and ECN colour developers are different.

The REMJET should only be removed post exposure.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The mask improves colour purity, at all densities.

The masks adds density. Density that could bring a scanner nearer to its noise. This is a sales argument by the industry.

Shooter
    35mm
    I thought the mask was used for colour correction when printing onto photographic paper?
    Thats interesting to know.
    If i get round to it, ill try and shoot some.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, it is. It nevertheless would give better colour rendition in transparency film too, but the same time the mask remaining would spoil all that.

The working principle of that automated colour-correcting mask is that its basic density (as seen at the unexposed parts) is filtered out at the final product, which is not possible with slides.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin