Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,555   Posts: 1,545,018   Online: 751

Page 26 of 75 FirstFirst ... 162021222324252627282930313236 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    The mask improves colour purity, at all densities.

The masks adds density. Density that could bring a scanner nearer to its noise. This is a sales argument by the industry.
    Well If you have a mid tone grey card you can get it grey (balance it) with a transparency or negative, but a similar card in shadows or highlights will not be grey with transparency but will be closer to grey with masked negative?

I normally had to balance each C41 film differently even from same multi tank.

You need to control contrast and exposure of colour film if you want to scan.

To be fair I gave up and used Kodachrome.

Noel

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What you are refering to is colour-tilting or even -crossover. That is not related to colour masking.

Shooter
    35mm
    The mask improves colour purity, at all densities.

The masks adds density. Density that could bring a scanner nearer to its noise.

Basicaly the mask adds every density where the colour couplers are NOT, so the density is the same all over even where the Colour couplers would otherwise add "false" density as it is impossible to make a perfect dye. The scanner should be able to treat the whole thing in much the same way as the grey base on B&W film, if it does not have extra light available to compensate it was not designed by someone who understands the process.

The exact Colour of the mask does differ between different types and brand of colour negative, but since it was invented, it has been adopted by almost all makers. early AGFA colour films did not have it, but it was in AGAF CNS which was the last AGFA film with an AGFA only process.

Movie film is used to make prints that are shown 40 feet wide, so they tend to use every trick in the book to get it to work it's best.
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Xmas View Post
    The REMJET should only be removed post exposure.
    films without remjet normally have an alternative Anti-Halo Technology. for colour negative it is often essentially a developed out silver layer right under the emulsion. The silver is removed by the same bleach that removes the image silver in the colour process. Films designed for rem-jet of course don't need this extra layer.

In black and White film, besides the Gray base, there are often dyes under the emulsion which lose their colour in the developer or fixer. 120film typically has a similar dye layer on the reverse side often coloured Purple or green. I often find that if I use rodinal that dye comes out when I pour out the developer. It seems to just decolour if I use HC-100
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=AgX;1668471]The mask improves colour purity, at all densities.[/quote[

Yes. It makes up for inaccuracies in the spectral sensitiser dyes.

The masks adds density. Density that could bring a scanner nearer to its noise. This is a sales argument by the industry.
    No. The dynamic range of a C41 negative is far, far less than the dynamic range of any modern scanner, i.e. C41 is a low-contrast material. The total density is not relevant because the scanner will increase its exposure time according to the minimum density of the film. And finally, the limiting factor in C41 scans is not thermal noise in the scanner CCD (which is what would be increased if you scanned a high-density negative without compensating the scan exposure), but the combination of quantisation noise induced by the high-contrast inversion process and the inherent noisiness of C41 film. In fact, the C41 dye-clouds are the dominant noise source by at least 10dB unless you did something grossly wrong.

Shooter
    35mm
    Website has been updated: http://www.filmferrania.it/#home-section

There's an extra info, but you'll need to look for it. I love a mystery!
    My cameras:
    Fed 2
    Zenit 11, 12XP
    Nikon F4, F4S, F401S, F601, F801, F801S, F50, F55, F60, F65, F70, F75, F80, F90, F90X, EL2, FE, FM, FG, FG-20, EM

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If I'm right the answer is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrD_VnOsqYs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo Miranda View Post
    I love a mystery!
    Well it sure isn't me. But I could make a guess or two...

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    35mm
    If I'm right the answer is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrD_VnOsqYs
    Ah! Ah! You got it!
    My cameras:
    Fed 2
    Zenit 11, 12XP
    Nikon F4, F4S, F401S, F601, F801, F801S, F50, F55, F60, F65, F70, F75, F80, F90, F90X, EL2, FE, FM, FG, FG-20, EM

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo Miranda View Post
    Ah! Ah! You got it!
    I don't speak nor read Italian... Ugh, someone want to clue me in??
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin