Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,919   Posts: 1,584,794   Online: 1078

Page 28 of 141 FirstFirst ... 18222324252627282930313233343878128 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The shuffling fellow shown in the blurred photo has a beard...

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    They added an employee so they are still going, let's hope America can step in and save the day... Again...
    One added employee is another mouth to feed...

But I guess you are right, Stone.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quoted from their website:

"FILM Ferrania was officially formed in Ferrania, Italy on July 23, 2013 by co-founders Nicola Baldini and Marco Pagni with the aim to build a new factory from the leftover parts of the old one, originally founded in 1923..
    Through massive cooperation with the local government, FILM Ferrania currently has a facility, most of the necessary machinery and even a large stock of chemistry.

With all of this, we still have an enormous task ahead of us. We aim for nothing less than fundamentally changing the way you buy, use and process film today."

This is interesting, because I thought they had the old research facility all set up and upgrades, all ready to go, now it appears they want to build a new factory, so i expect they now realise the demand is alot higher than they expected!
    Im guessing they will still use the research lab to produce film with its smaller coating machinery, but they will build a new facility to produce larger production runs perhaps? It seems they must have the machinery from the old plant in storage somewhere. I cant wait to see this get off the ground.
    Kodak are stabbing themselves in the foot...

Shooter
    35mm
    In case you haven't seen it before, read this article on the Wittner site: http://www.wittner-cinetec.com/info/...ia/english.php
    Remember that in some languages and cultures "building" doesn't necessarily mean to build a new factory. It means here to re-arrange the R&D department to work as a production facility.

I thought they had the old research facility all set up and upgrades
    That is partially true. The facilities need a lot of work to be converted. Again, the Wittner report contains information as to what and why is it needed. The main thing is that the R&D facility depended of the main plant for its energy sources.

It seems they must have the machinery from the old plant in storage somewhere.
    Ask Harman or perhaps Film Ferrania themselves what is the size of such coating machine. I think you'll realise that it isn't something you can put into storage somewhere.
    I believe the main plant is used now to produce something else by Ferrania Technologies: http://www.ferraniait.com/index.html
    Fed 2, 4, 5
    Zenit 11, 12XP
    Olympus OM-1 MD, OM-1N, OM-2N, OM-2SP, OM10, OMG
    A bunch of Nikons
    Ferrania backer

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The chemical plant part of Ferrania in the narrower sense is now what Ferrania stands for.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo Miranda View Post
    In case you haven't seen it before, read this article on the Wittner site: http://www.wittner-cinetec.com/info/...ia/english.php
    Remember that in some languages and cultures "building" doesn't necessarily mean to build a new factory. It means here to re-arrange the R&D department to work as a production facility.

That is partially true. The facilities need a lot of work to be converted. Again, the Wittner report contains information as to what and why is it needed. The main thing is that the R&D facility depended of the main plant for its energy sources.

Ask Harman or perhaps Film Ferrania themselves what is the size of such coating machine. I think you'll realise that it isn't something you can put into storage somewhere.
    I believe the main plant is used now to produce something else by Ferrania Technologies: http://www.ferraniait.com/index.html
    I think the Wittner article sums everything up quite well, and is enough evidence that film production will be starting very soon.
    What is unclear to me is how much of the old film plant remains, large scale coating machines etc. From what i understand, only the research facility is left and has been maintained, etc.
    I think the chemical division of ferrania technologies is totally separate, and i dont think that "Film Ferrania" is owned by them any more; also the power plant would be in use right now to keep the chemical plant running, so i can only assume that the coal power plant mentioned in the article was used for film production only, it looks like they will use this power plant until they get another power supply sorted, as it produces more energy than what is required, so obviously will cost excessive money, unless large scale film production ever started again.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Film Ferrania would not need excessive energy. But several kettles must be heated and all tubings etc.

This would not be a problem if done by electricity. But it is done by steam. And its supply (for unknown reasons) will be limited in time, and it is not economic due to only being a small scale user by now, hung at a long, high volume supply route. Thus they would need a small steam kettle in house.
    Last edited by AgX; 07-07-2014 at 09:22 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    What is unclear to me is how much of the old film plant remains, large scale coating machines etc.
    As far as I have been told, nothing is left in terms of the large scale coating machine.
    And that was the reason as to why Ferrania stopped in 2008: they had a far too large coating machine, larger than Ilford, but smaller than Kodak. They also didn't have any market left as most of their traditional customers (photographic shops, chemist chains and others) shifted to digital products and no longer required their own brand film.
    So, what the new Film Ferrania is trying to do is to produce film using the smaller coating machine on the R&D department.
    Here you can see the similar R&D coating machine on the Harman factory: http://this-is-sunderland.co.uk/2013...-film-is-made/
    Just watch the video, it is worth it!
    Fed 2, 4, 5
    Zenit 11, 12XP
    Olympus OM-1 MD, OM-1N, OM-2N, OM-2SP, OM10, OMG
    A bunch of Nikons
    Ferrania backer

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Film Ferrania would not need excessive energy. But several kettles must be heated and all tubings etc.

This would not be a problem if done by electricity. But it is done by steam. And its supply (for unknown reasons) will be limited in time, and it is not economic due to only being a small scale user by now, hung at a long, high volume supply route. Thus they would need a small steam kettle in house.
    Thanks, i will check it out, anyway i think the major film makers (fuji and kodak) did not gear up for the decline of film and should have downscaled accordingly.
    Anyway, if what this link states below is true, then we may be in luck, smaller production runs is the only way for film to survive.
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum390/...uick-read.html

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That idea by Kodak does not make sense to me. Maybe it has been conveyed wrongly.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin