Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,515   Posts: 1,543,726   Online: 901

Page 34 of 69 FirstFirst ... 242829303132333435363738394044 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Projecting your sheet film with an overhead? For one what use is that if you're trying to sell prints.... and two, you'll end up scratching your film... No thank you...
    I don't shoot film to sell prints. If you are, hey that's great. And if you're using E-6 for the initial, then yes the scanning method is probably the easiest. I've had some Velvia 100 lab scanned and made into prints and the saturation, while not exactly the same as the original slide, isn't bad.

Would love to see Ferrania do some high speed color film, but I think that realistically they're gonna go for cine film first, which will probably be slower speed. IIRC the first couple of films they were working on were 100 speed emulsions.
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nzoomed View Post
    Personally, im feeling along the same lines as this.
    Its not a bad thing, but will the equipment being used still be too big for the production? Or are they expecting that they will sell plenty of volume?

It really sucks that kodak has dropped everything E6, we should campaign hard on their facebook page. It would be good if they could licence the product for ferrania to produce, but i hope that their E6 lines replace what was taken away by kodak and Fuji, and that is high speed E6 film.
    I even submitted an awesome photo for their photo of the day, which was taken on ektachrome e100g and it never got selected, partially because of it being a discontnued film i guess. This is the photo here:
    Attachment 92644
    I would like to see a film that is a good replacement for e100g and e100vs if nothing else.
    E100G = Provia100f

E100VS = Velvia50 / Velvia100

Not the same, but especially Velvia100 is sort of the same (I think better).

Your opinions may differ
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ME Super View Post
    IIRC the first couple of films they were working on were 100 speed emulsions.
    That's correct. First an E-6, then a C-41. But at this point I'll take anything color. They just need to get back into the game before the remaining processing infrastructure dries up completely. By that I mean larger regional processors like, say, Dwayne's, for example.

We could all exist just fine with a three-day mail order turnaround cycle. Heck, before the advent of the 1-hour grocery store machines, by sending it off to Kodak that's what we all did anyway.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    E100G = Provia100f

E100VS = Velvia50 / Velvia100

Not the same, but especially Velvia100 is sort of the same (I think better).

Your opinions may differ

Yes they do.
    How on earth have you put E100VS and Velvia 50 on the same or like basket? They are definitely not comparable, nor like-for-like nor "sort of the same". The palettes are worlds apart. A good example would be to view an Ilfochrome print of Kodak's stuff vs one produced on RVP 50 (but not RVP 100F!): note the BIG differences. Kodak's pasty E6 palette was widely panned as a dud amongst landscape photographers, especially those printing to Ilfochrome Classic media. I predict somebody is now going to compare Ektar with Provia 100F — again, a story in itself.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    35mm
    I can project Provia 100F. It looks great. When I project Ektar, the colors are all wrong, and there's this hideous mask too.

There. There's your comparison. But seriously, both films are nice, but for different reasons.
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ok send me your 8x10 projector and I'll use that.... *facepalm*

Thanks PE when the time comes to do it in school I will.
    We used to have overhead projectors in school. I bet you could pick one up now cheap, and I bet it would project 8x10 transparencies very nicely.

But seriously, if prints are what you want to end up with, shoot negative film in the first place.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It really is, a lot of people here just like to argue for no reason just to be difficult. I highly doubt if you took Portra and made an interneg if a Velvia50 image, and then optically printed it, that the saturation of color apparent in the original transparency would be at all comparable to the print.

Color film developing and printing is hard enough already without adding more complications to the process.

And projecting your sheet film with an overhead? For one what use is that if you're trying to sell prints.... and two, you'll end up scratching your film... No thank you...
    If you're trying to sell prints, use print film.

Oh yeah, you want jazzed up over the top color - ok, shoot Vevlia and scan it. But that's not "the only option" it's just the only one for the very specific thing you are trying to do, and of course that's ok.

True enough we don't have Ilfochrome or Type R anymore of course, and I'm as sad about that as anyone. Well maybe not "as anyone" but I wish we did. I've printed with both over the years but, you know what? With the improvement of materials by the mid 90s I already gave it up for neg/pos. Of course I also had Ultra 50 for jazzed up color from negatives in those days too. Sigh.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by ME Super View Post
    I can project Provia 100F. It looks great. When I project Ektar, the colors are all wrong, and there's this hideous mask too.

There. There's your comparison. But seriously, both films are nice, but for different reasons.
    LOL, i agree!
    Thats the main reason im not really interested in C41 negative film, there is just something special about holding up a transparency and actually seeing a real image captured on the film.
    They can be printed perfectly from scans, ive done so without any issues.
    Oddly enough in the past before digital cameras were commonplace, if i was sending in photos for adverts in magazines etc, the publishers always preferred me to send them the photos on a slide, they said it was alot easier than using negative film or the actual print of a photograph, go figure!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Yes E6 was popular cause the editor's could review it on a light box.

Today Jpeg rules cause the editor clicks on the email attachment from the smart phone.

C41 gives more accurate high and low colours.

Every dog has its day.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    Yes they do.
    How on earth have you put E100VS and Velvia 50 on the same or like basket? They are definitely not comparable, nor like-for-like nor "sort of the same". The palettes are worlds apart. A good example would be to view an Ilfochrome print of Kodak's stuff vs one produced on RVP 50 (but not RVP 100F!): note the BIG differences. Kodak's pasty E6 palette was widely panned as a dud amongst landscape photographers, especially those printing to Ilfochrome Classic media. I predict somebody is now going to compare Ektar with Provia 100F — again, a story in itself.
    Different yes... But the closest thing you can get NOW.... That's the point...
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin