Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,729   Posts: 1,515,251   Online: 784

Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast
    San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm not talking about shooting negatives, making inter-negs, inter-pos, DI, final prints, etc. I get all that and the reasons used.

I'm specifically challenging neg->neg somehow offering more fidelity than pos->pos, completely outside the scope of cinematography or movie making.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Even outside the cinematographic field a neg-pos workflow (at least two materials involved) gains more freedom and thus quality.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm not talking about freedom to muck around. I'm specifically targeting the comment that neg to neg is somehow higher fidelity than pos to pos.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Fidelity starts from what you get. Current colour reversal materials are not good at it. Even basically such materials are are not good at it.

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd say you get more latitude and dynamic range with neg film so neg to neg should be better. Positive films usually have more inherent contrast than negative films meaning they retain less image information that can be reproduced and you already loose a lot of information at the copy/printing stage. Neg low contrast to ultra low contrast Neg (print) pos higher contrast to slightly higher contrast (loss of information).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes but pos pos materials take contrast into consideration. They aren't exposure from camera films.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I would argue that everything in the movie world is scanned now anyways and scanning a transparency editing the content and then producing transparencies for projection causes less issue in quality than 3 copies on film, but I could be wrong about the scanning bit.

I assumed the reason they use the low contrast negs had more to do with the digital editing process and technicolor's handling profile and how they prefer to begin with muted colors and low contrast and add that stuff later on.

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    1) movies are edited before they are distributed
    Are they edited as a negative?

Steve.

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    No as prints or more likely scans (fully digital) Btw. editing does not equal cutting. The negatives/prints are cut by a negative cutter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    I'm not talking about freedom to muck around. I'm specifically targeting the comment that neg to neg is somehow higher fidelity than pos to pos.
    Among many other things, I rely on the many posts on this subject that PE has made - he has on multiple occasions stated that the limitations of the physics and chemical components themselves mean that a negative + negative copying process is inherently capable of higher quality.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin