Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,566   Posts: 1,545,361   Online: 1028

Page 46 of 75 FirstFirst ... 364041424344454647484950515256 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Where they grumble relates to the prices they are having to pay to their suppliers, who are distibutors, not KA.
    This is 2014, and I really wonder why there have to be so many layers of distribution between Kodak and their film's users. Kodak, KA, then some unnamed distributor, then the retailer you talked to ... four layers for less product per year than what B&H sends out every week.

Ferrania could save a lot by either directly selling their film from their web page, or at least by directly distributing their film to a choice of retailers.
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    web page and direct postal sales or USA, Ch and Ja direct postal sales, way to go..., Excel spread & profit are gods.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudeofus View Post
    This is 2014, and I really wonder why there have to be so many layers of distribution between Kodak and their film's users. Kodak, KA, then some unnamed distributor, then the retailer you talked to ... four layers for less product per year than what B&H sends out every week.
    When the world was green, Kodak did their own distribution, and also used the Photofinishing channel. Joes Drug store got a few rolls of film from their local photo-finisher and it came with their dally processing pickup. perhaps one roll at a time based on a weekly inventory count, and a stock of 5 rolls of each of the most popular sizes.

When I was in the business, (1970s) Kodak Canada had a 400 rolls minimum order and most film was shipped by the Brick only. You have a customer who wants 620 Tri-X you order 20 rolls and hope that you sell it off. Once you start to focus on streamlining your business, it is more retailer friendly to have a distributor who can provide somewhere between the two models.

Of course once you go into such a model, the distributor has a stake in Keeping the business, and it would cost real money to buy them out.

good distributors can really add value by making the product more accessible to customers. Freestyle is one of the folks who sells FOMA products for example, and they wholesale to other firms, example the "Holga" film sold by B&H. Distributors will hold sufficient stock that a customer can get an order quickly.

Some distributors will even drop ship.

there have been so broad hints that Ferrania is exploring how they get the product to the customer. No doubt the new folks they keep hinting about are being added to the mix because of their industry connections.
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmacd123 View Post
    When the world was green, Kodak did their own distribution, and also used the Photofinishing channel. Joes Drug store got a few rolls of film from their local photo-finisher and it came with their dally processing pickup. perhaps one roll at a time based on a weekly inventory count, and a stock of 5 rolls of each of the most popular sizes.

When I was in the business, (1970s) Kodak Canada had a 400 rolls minimum order and most film was shipped by the Brick only. You have a customer who wants 620 Tri-X you order 20 rolls and hope that you sell it off. Once you start to focus on streamlining your business, it is more retailer friendly to have a distributor who can provide somewhere between the two models.

Of course once you go into such a model, the distributor has a stake in Keeping the business, and it would cost real money to buy them out.

good distributors can really add value by making the product more accessible to customers. Freestyle is one of the folks who sells FOMA products for example, and they wholesale to other firms, example the "Holga" film sold by B&H. Distributors will hold sufficient stock that a customer can get an order quickly.

Some distributors will even drop ship.

there have been so broad hints that Ferrania is exploring how they get the product to the customer. No doubt the new folks they keep hinting about are being added to the mix because of their industry connections.
    Who makes Holga film?
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Before my country joined the European Union, technical equipment was 30-50% more expensive than in neighboring Germany. We got our fair share of explanations why this was the case: taxes, import duties. When we finally joined the EU, prices came waaay down, and we finally learned the truth: by joining EU, our retailers were able to order directly from big distributors and did not have to order through an extra layer in the distributor chain.

This may have formed my opinion, that there is no such thing as a good distributor, and particularly if there are multiple levels of them between manufacturer and me, the end user.

Sell it in packs of five rolls directly to a few big retailers (and some smaller retailers if they ask for it) and be done with it. Twenty years ago accounting and shipping logistics were done with pencil and paper, and I understand why Kodak wouldn't ship small volumes back then. Times have changed ...
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Who makes Holga film?
    Foma I think
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    35mm RF
    If Ilford dont sell in packs of five, packs of five are a bad idea.

Ilford have HP5+ and Xp2+ in my large pharmacy if Ferrani wanna sell E6 they need to do the same. It is a chain so I assume they only need one shipment.

But Im not able to use E6 as I don't have a local lab and the post is not reliable. I stopped using Fuji in 2006 cause the loss rate was 5%! I could do drop off and collect but that would be at a lower volume.

I can home process but I don't like the chemicals.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Xmas View Post

Ilford have HP5+ and Xp2+ in my large pharmacy if Ferrani wanna sell E6 they need to do the same. It is a chain so I assume they only need one shipment.
    I remember back when Kodak and Fuji standardised on 5 roll propacks, discontinuing single roll distribution on many films (I'm mainly thinking 120 but some 35mm applies). In any case many retailers will split the packs. I haven't taken a deep look into why they chose to just sell in 5x packs.

We already have some info to speculate how things may be set. Given that Dave Bias is both in Impossible and Ferrania; If he's the one chosen for marketing and distribution it's quite possible that Ferrania's distribution model will be akin to Impossible's.
    Impossible's distribution model seems quite succesful. I'm not into Polaroid but it's available locally, in the web, and direct from them.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Film from Italy -- Ferrania starting production 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Xmas View Post

But Im not able to use E6 as I don't have a local lab and the post is not reliable. I stopped using Fuji in 2006 cause the loss rate was 5%! I could do drop off and collect but that would be at a lower volume.

I can home process but I don't like the chemicals.
    I think you hit the nail on the head with the E6, and it's my opinion and I've been saying this for a while that when FILM Ferrania decides to start producing their film they should sell an option to buy a kit that is both film and developer sold as a package as part of their sales strategy.
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    127 Format
    I just hope they don't use Impossible's pricing model. I would be out on day one.

No way will I pay $20 for a roll of color film. Nor even $10. Nor even $6 (well maybe $6 for E-6)

No matter what, they are still competing with digital.
    - Bill Lynch

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin