Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,235   Online: 715

Page 6 of 72 FirstFirst 1234567891011121656 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Be aware that this all is a statement of intent. As hinted at repeatedly here at Apug the market at least for middle of the road films is marked by the price. And with C-41 films still available for about a Dollar from high productive competitors, how could a new enterprise described as low volume compete with them?
    My thoughts exactly. As I said, I really hope they're able to pull it off; until then, I'm staying cautiously optimistic!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
    Ferrania was the last producer of 126 Instamatic.

Since no one else in the world (meaning planet Earth) can produce 126 Instamatic, I surely hope Ferrania will do it !
    Adox indicated that they will be making a B&W 126 film BTW, very soon... it's a 100 speed film, I can't recall the exact name but it's one of the recent threads.
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    slide film seems like one of those niches waiting to be occupied by a small player. Fuji prices are already at a level where they might offer quite some room for maneuver to a new entrant that can't rely on economies of scale. Moreover, e6 will target the enthusiast market, and some will probably choose to place their bets on Ferrania and buy their product in order to ensure the long term survival of slide film.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by brianmquinn View Post
    Here is what I have from them

Ok, now the question is: what kind of film?
    We think it is better to start revamping the very last produced emulsions. The first two that we will make are a color negative film derived from Ferrania Solaris FG-100 Plus (only for still photographs) and a professional color reversal film derived from Scotch Chrome 100.
    Another E-6 film! Yes! I hope they can pull this off. Maybe even do a 640T E-6 film at some point would be cool but not absolutely necessary. A 400-speed would be nice too, especially with the discontinuance of Provia 400X.

I would at least try their E-6 offering and if it's good, well they will get more of my business for sure.
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by theoria View Post
    slide film seems like one of those niches waiting to be occupied by a small player. Fuji prices are already at a level where they might offer quite some room for maneuver to a new entrant that can't rely on economies of scale. Moreover, e6 will target the enthusiast market, and some will probably choose to place their bets on Ferrania and buy their product in order to ensure the long term survival of slide film.
    Agreed, however, I will say I do hope somehow that Velvia and Provia survive, I am drawn to their over saturation. I love them for long exposure sky work. If the Ferrania stuff is sort of muted, I might be a little disappointed, or if its very mucky grain, but I think with todays technology even a smaller plant could produce some nice stuff. Though now that I'm in the LF world, I think the most impressive thing is to sell a print with a massive 4x5 sheet, massive not to LF guys it's "small" but to most people, seeing a 4x5 transparency on a light box just blows their mind.
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My guess is that 3M E 6 will be late 70s or early 80s emulsion, I doubt that Ferrania updated prior to pulling the plug on production sometime in the late 80s or early 90s, the last C 41 Solar 100 and 200 I used was a newer film developed in the 90s, as I recall the grain was good with a shift towards yellow. I have a few rolls of Solar 100 in the freezer. I need to check out smy slides from the
    70s, I shot a fair amount with the old 3 M E 6 sold at K Mart, I dont recall off the top of my head if it was an ASA 64, 100 or 200. The last I looked they have held up over the years, unlike GAF which are all fading. .

Shooter
    35mm
    Very good news! Fantastic that it is the films I would ask for! Hope for 110, 120, 126 and 135. Would like to see Super-8 colour reversal as well!
    My cameras:
    Fed 2
    Zenit 11, 12XP
    Nikon F4, F4S, F401S, F601, F801, F801S, F50, F55, F60, F65, F70, F75, F80, F90, F90X, EL2, FE, FM, FG, FG-20, EM

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PDH View Post
    My guess is that 3M E 6 will be late 70s or early 80s emulsion, I doubt that Ferrania updated prior to pulling the plug on production sometime in the late 80s or early 90s, the last C 41 Solar 100 and 200 I used was a newer film developed in the 90s, as I recall the grain was good with a shift towards yellow. I have a few rolls of Solar 100 in the freezer. I need to check out smy slides from the
    70s, I shot a fair amount with the old 3 M E 6 sold at K Mart, I dont recall off the top of my head if it was an ASA 64, 100 or 200. The last I looked they have held up over the years, unlike GAF which are all fading. .

In the 90's the Scotch branded films from Ferrania were amongst the fastest in the world. Actually then they offered the fasted E-6 push-film ever (EI 3200).

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PDH View Post
    OT: was the GAF film not properly cleared and has just gotten fogged or something else? I've only used B&W GAF was there also color? I love shooting this old stock of GAF that I have and it would be good to know now if something about it won't hold up... haha. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    In the 90's the Scotch branded films from Ferrania were amongst the fastest in the world. Actually then they offered the fasted E-6 push-film ever (EI 3200).
    OH WOW that's awesome! Maybe they can replace the Provia400X with something of their own creation. I never really found 400 speed film as useful as 800 speed. If the light isn't there for 100, 400 just isn't enough for me most of the time... so I hope they maybe make an 800 speed E-6 that would be super awesome!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Agreed, however, I will say I do hope somehow that Velvia and Provia survive, I am drawn to their over saturation. I love them for long exposure sky work. If the Ferrania stuff is sort of muted, I might be a little disappointed, or if its very mucky grain, but I think with todays technology even a smaller plant could produce some nice stuff. Though now that I'm in the LF world, I think the most impressive thing is to sell a print with a massive 4x5 sheet, massive not to LF guys it's "small" but to most people, seeing a 4x5 transparency on a light box just blows their mind.
    Stone,
    You can increase saturation of slide film (this is true of E-6 as well as it was of Kodachrome) with slight underexposure. By "slight" I mean 1/3 to 1/2 stop.If you go beyond 1 stop then it's just plain underexposed (unless the underexposed look is what you're going for).
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin