Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,942   Posts: 1,557,590   Online: 1215

Page 8 of 120 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141858108 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Agreed, however, I will say I do hope somehow that Velvia and Provia survive, I am drawn to their over saturation. I love them for long exposure sky work. If the Ferrania stuff is sort of muted, I might be a little disappointed, or if its very mucky grain, but I think with todays technology even a smaller plant could produce some nice stuff. Though now that I'm in the LF world, I think the most impressive thing is to sell a print with a massive 4x5 sheet, massive not to LF guys it's "small" but to most people, seeing a 4x5 transparency on a light box just blows their mind.
    I love Velvia and Provia too, loved Astia even more, and I hope that Fuji will keep alive as many slide films as possible. Nobody (but the company accountants probably) knows how things will evolve. What the reemergence of Ferrania might show is that to some, which have a more hands on perspective, slide manufacturing looks like a viable business perspective. So it should be to Fuji, unless the overcapacity problem is more important than we think (well, you might add to that various factors such as differnet labor costs or the exchange rate which have nothing to do with market size).

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I too love/loved Astia, but you know, Provia and Velvia are perfectly fine. I only wish the deletion of 400 wasn't done.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    as I said in the other thread, it's about offering options not available by larger competitors... sizes not available like 127 for example, also another E-6 option, maybe one that isn't over saturated in red/blues and is still beautiful would be an option. If they are able to also to sell their films in kits for example, you could buy a "home pro pack" that consisted of 5 or 10 rolls of E-6 plus the full chemistry packets to process it at home, that would be a great package deal, especially in the US where you can't buy E-6 kits in small amounts anymore (except the 3 bath crap kits).

Lots of ways to compete in a niche market ... just have to be creative.
    Have you USED the three bath kits? They are not crap.

When three bath E6 came out I was using the regular six bath, and made a comparison. When I saw the results I slightly preferred the THREE bath, so I switched.

Now I've read PE's comments and the longevity could be affected. I don't know about that. But the results were anything but "crap."

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yep, I also use the Tetenal 3-bath kits. They're perfectly fine. I'd use the Fuji 6-bath kit if I didn't have to ship it all across the Atlantic. Price is similar for capacity. I've considered mixing up my own E-6 bleach and fix to head off any "longevity" issues though.

Roger, it's past your bed time.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    Yep, I also use the Tetenal 3-bath kits. They're perfectly fine. I'd use the Fuji 6-bath kit if I didn't have to ship it all across the Atlantic. Price is similar for capacity. I've considered mixing up my own E-6 bleach and fix to head off any "longevity" issues though.

Roger, it's past your bed time.
    Yes Roger I agree I meant the blix factor. And Clayne, I've thought the same thing. I'm trying to recover the full info on E-6 though to do the whole thing myself. Dev and color dev and bleach and fix and stabilizer and there's something I'm missing.... Reversal bath? Lol

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ferrania have just confirmed (by email) that large format sizes would be available as well.

Ian

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    [QUOTE=StoneNYC;1527230]OT: was the GAF film not properly cleared and has just gotten fogged or something else? I've only used B&W GAF was there also color? I love shooting this old stock of GAF that I have and it would be good to know now if something about it won't hold up... haha. Thanks.

Some were processed by GAF, some I processed myself, I have bulk rolls of frozen GAF 100 and 200 with 4 16oz kits, I had forgotten how may steps, including reexposure, the GAF system used until I shot a few rolls and need to process. GAF was more like E 4.

I looked at my 3M slides last night, sorry I cant scan, but they are just as they were the day I shot them, very clean, good grain, I have both 100 and 400, I dont recall the 3200.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Ferrania have just confirmed (by email) that large format sizes would be available as well.

Ian
    Awesome news! I just hope they don't over extend themselves. Even before Kodak's prices went to newly insane levels, 4x5 color sheet film was expensive (though not so much back in the 90s when I started with 4x5) and I tend to shoot color in a roll film back when my lenses allow framing the shot that way. I'd rather they produce a few popular sizes they can sell enough of at first than dilute sales with too many sizes they can't sell enough of.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Of E6?? Someone pinch me!

They're either visionary, a little mad, or both.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    Of E6?? Someone pinch me!

They're either visionary, a little mad, or both.

-NT
    Agreed, but I'll buy some...

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin