Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,699   Posts: 1,549,146   Online: 1133

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Perez

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Paper is dead, long live paper!

Analog is dead, long live analog!

http://www.youtube.com/embed/V_gOZDWQj3Q?rel=0
    Outstanding PE! Outstanding!

Shooter
    127 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    I am probably the only one here who has met and talked to Perez one on one.

He is a charming, convincing person! ...

PE
    Isn't that the definition of a CON MAN?
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thats a good one Photo Engineer!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Perez sets departure timeline as Kodak CEO

http://www.rbj.net/article.asp?aID=197570

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    To his friends... His work is done... Why wait?

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Coming late to the party here....

How much has the film market contracted over the past 20 years? 90%? 95%? 99%?

I don't see any way for any manager to "manage" that transition and look good doing it. From a business perspective, it was a bloodbath that Kodak didn't create and couldn't control. If there is a future in film manufacturing, its going to be done by much smaller companies. Big companies do not turn into small companies gracefully.

It is my earnest hope that there is a small Kodak waiting to emerge that will profitably produce film into the indefinite future.

I also think there is a marketing strategy that could work to bolster film sales. Lots of people are turned off by the ever-accelerating treadmill that is modern society. I'd like to see film marketed as something that is "Beautiful. Permanent. Real."

I wonder if something like this would resonate with "the kids these days"...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    ^yes Omaha, that does resonate with "kids" today, however, it is called Blurb (ie print on demand) and sadly Kodak missed that boat (from a consumer perspective - though they have b2b print on demand presence...)
    Andy

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    That's where I have a hard time with the "blame Kodak" camp.

I was an early adopter of Ofoto.com, and stayed with them after Kodak bought them out. You can't say Kodak wasn't making an effort at the online/digital/social/POD world. They just (like 99.9% of companies that tried) didn't make it. Sure, we can look at that in hindsight and point to the various bad moves they made along the way, but pretty much everyone made bad moves.

I was CIO for a well-funded dotcom company in the late 1990's into 2000. I lived that world. It was a ridiculous time. We were ALL scrambling around, not knowing what we were doing, taking every shot we could, knowing that if we somehow got it "right" we would be looking at the brass ring of all brass rings, but knowing that the odds were massively stacked against us.

Its easy to say, today, that all we had to do was what Google (or pick your favorite internet company) did. We were all trying.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Agree Omaha! Heck back in the day My Space was gonna be the next AOL....
    Andy

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    While I love to see Perez hit the road, there's always that risk of the devil you know...

The world isn't exactly filled with CEOs who think outside the box these days. Greed runs the world. It's not about stay good at what you do - its about satisfying the shareholders.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin