Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,217   Posts: 1,532,132   Online: 1045

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Perez

Shooter
    Large Format
    So, Perez says he will be leaving in a year. Kind of reminds me of when Doprah Winbag announced her show would be leaving in ANOTHER year. No time like the present, I say.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As to the film market 20 years ago - 1993, it was expanding! That is when the new high speed machine was being ramped up so as to meet the demands being placed on EK. And paper was selling as fast as we could make it!

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    As to the film market 20 years ago - 1993, it was expanding! That is when the new high speed machine was being ramped up so as to meet the demands being placed on EK. And paper was selling as fast as we could make it!

PE
    Good times.....good times.

I bet back then you could not imagine how bad things would get with film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oh yes, some of us could!

Shooter
    35mm
    By 1993 it was all over but for the shouting and introducing the APS system was major mistake.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, I agree Fred, but all of the manufacturers made the same mistake. Fuji and Agfa bought into it and even helped in the design. All of them had blinders.

The big day of reckoning came in 2005, when Agfa went bankrupt, Kodak left pager manufacturing, and Ilford reorganized. It was a year in which analog sales fell 35% in one quarter.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Yes, I agree Fred, but all of the manufacturers made the same mistake. Fuji and Agfa bought into it and even helped in the design. All of them had blinders.

The big day of reckoning came in 2005, when Agfa went bankrupt, Kodak left pager manufacturing, and Ilford reorganized. It was a year in which analog sales fell 35% in one quarter.

PE
    And in 2005 we both joined APUG.

Hmmmm
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    A few days ago I read an article about the long decline of kodak: http://www.thestreet.com/story/11991...an-moment.html
    For us youngsters who entered the scene late, wow! I certainly could imagine how it was given the many stories around and it has become a shell of itself.

Given all they have now is building 38 and the huge coating machine... What's gonna happen after the MP 2015 contracts end? The MP industry has shifted to digital really fast. I recall they will have demand for archiving MP film and still film but enough for the b38 machine?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Prest_400 View Post
    ...What's gonna happen after the MP 2015 contracts end?...
    It all depends on what's in the agreement between Kodak and the UK pension plan that's taking marketing/distribution of Kodak film as settlement of the debt Kodak owes it. Nobody's revealing anything about the specifics of that agreement. We shall see...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ...and while that new business continues to wait and wait and wait to get up and running, others are attempting to jump in right now and position themselves to fill the vacuum. Most recently the Italian concern for color. And Harman has already arrived for b&w.

With Kodak lounging through its never-ending bankruptcy and Fuji being the last non-bankrupt major color film producer, and itself teetering in its color commitment even as we speak, maybe the Italians think the time is ripe to jump into the emerging low volume color niche market to grab potential market share. If they are right, perhaps they will become the color Ilford instead.

If this new UK Kodak marketing/distribution concern doesn't shake off the traditional Kodak lethargy and get going, they're going to end up still-born.

(I know that the damn lawyers are in charge. But markets don't wait for lawyers.)

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin