Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,564   Posts: 1,573,449   Online: 787

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    There was that period of the brightly colored Hasselblads. Where's Art Liem? He has a yellow one.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That just makes me sad. Especially as a Swedish citizen, once very proud of the accomplishment that Hasselblad represented. Amazing design, first class products that are a joy to use, and with great results.

The emotional side of me still can't fathom what they have done to their reputation and their brand; somebody is seriously trying to milk the brand to death. All those decades of building up a stellar reputation, down the drain in a couple of flushes. So short sighted. So stupid.

The rational side of me realizes that camera manufacturers sees much increased competition from nontraditional competitors - manufacturers of phones, tablets/iPads, even eye glasses (Google) - they realize they can't keep selling something that is increasingly perceived by the general public as something big, bulky, impractical, etc ad nauseum. So they have to do something in this marketplace of commodities.

To me, they should have focused on building premium products, and maintain the ergonomics and design that they have become so famous for. Why not build a camera that is modular and upgradeable? How many of us are tired of things that become obsolete every few years? Example, my iPhone 4 is not only two years old, and even though it's as shiny as it was when I first got it, it feels old somehow. If I could have one where the buttons wouldn't wear out, and I could instead upgrade the 'guts' of the phone, and pay less than I do for a brand new phone, I'd do it in a heart beat. But instead I will eventually have to replace it, because that's how it works these days.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The biggest problem I see with this particular camera – apart from the whole re-branding strategy – is that this seems to be the old model of the RX100, not the new and drastically improved RX100 II. So when the Stellar will eventually hit the market (which I don´t expect to be soon, remember the Lunar) it will be based on a camera which by then may be had for 1/15 of the price of the Stellar on your supermarket´s clearance sale.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I suppose cameras are becoming novelty items. I read an article the other day that seemed to suggest that digital cameras will soon be obsolete, as phone cameras now produce such good quality images.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    My first thought about this Hasselblad thing was they took one of the 2 handles off a handgun and bolted it on a cheap digital camera. Big deal. In other news, Apple turned in a good quarter and the stock went up $16 dollars in after hours trading. So there's your digital camera market right there.
    Apple turned in a good quarter only when applied to the "market's expectations". These were set up days earlier by sapper analysts who overstate, with full knowledge, their expectations of Apple's price drop. Apple "beats the street", everybody cheers and the charade goes on. Fact is Apple was down, what, 22%? I'm OT enough as it is but, believe me, there's a rogue Nobel out there for anyone who studies stock analysts's "failures" rather than their methods.

A collaboration with Ferrari is a not-so-rare marketing ploy. Colnago did it too: More curves, that paint color, that horse, done. Enzo too would be as heartsick as would Hasselblad.

s-a
    I photograph things to see what things look like photographed.
    - Garry Winogrand

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by semi-ambivalent View Post
    Apple turned in a good quarter only when applied to the "market's expectations". These were set up days earlier by sapper analysts who overstate, with full knowledge, their expectations of Apple's price drop. Apple "beats the street", everybody cheers and the charade goes on. Fact is Apple was down, what, 22%? I'm OT enough as it is but, believe me, there's a rogue Nobel out there for anyone who studies stock analysts's "failures" rather than their methods.

A collaboration with Ferrari is a not-so-rare marketing ploy. Colnago did it too: More curves, that paint color, that horse, done. Enzo too would be as heartsick as would Hasselblad.

s-a
    You took the words right out of my mouth. Now up $20.00 in pre-market. I'm not touching it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    The rational side of me realizes that camera manufacturers sees much increased competition from nontraditional competitors - manufacturers of phones, tablets/iPads, even eye glasses (Google) - they realize they can't keep selling something that is increasingly perceived by the general public as something big, bulky, impractical, etc ad nauseum. So they have to do something in this marketplace of commodities.

To me, they should have focused on building premium products, and maintain the ergonomics and design that they have become so famous for. Why not build a camera that is modular and upgradeable? How many of us are tired of things that become obsolete every few years? Example, my iPhone 4 is not only two years old, and even though it's as shiny as it was when I first got it, it feels old somehow. If I could have one where the buttons wouldn't wear out, and I could instead upgrade the 'guts' of the phone, and pay less than I do for a brand new phone, I'd do it in a heart beat. .
    I don't buy that first argument. When were hassies anything but premium? The ones that actually got screwed over by everything digital are in-fact the yashicas konicas etc.,

Re the modular system, it's kinda funny, having been in the software world, where emphasis is on re-usability and modularity, I find it weird that a lot of software instead is run or pushed into hardware that isn't modular.

One problem I guess is the size. Beyond a certain size, I guess it's kind of superfluous.

- via tapatalk.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by analoguey View Post
    I don't buy that first argument. When were hassies anything but premium? The ones that actually got screwed over by everything digital are in-fact the yashicas konicas etc.,

Re the modular system, it's kinda funny, having been in the software world, where emphasis is on re-usability and modularity, I find it weird that a lot of software instead is run or pushed into hardware that isn't modular.

One problem I guess is the size. Beyond a certain size, I guess it's kind of superfluous.

- via tapatalk.
    With the new camera they are entering the realm of items that are rebranded and old model Sony. How is that premium?

It is a fact that people are ditching cameras for iPhones and the like. What would you do if you owned Hasselblad today?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Really--Hasselblad's primary market for some time now presumably has not been film cameras, but high-end digital studio cameras, the ones that cost $30K+. The real problem for Hasselblad is not that there's no market for 503's, but that the market for $30,000 cameras is being eroded by $5,000 cameras. I would think that what their buyers really want is not a $5,000 Nex-7 (no one wants that), but an $8,000 H4D.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hmm, the article linked out to another Hasselbad - the Lunar.
    I think I have seen enough screwed up designs for today.

Although going by their digital MF bodies, one wouldn't really know if they have deviated much in "design" terms :P

Sometimes, one wished these guys learn a little bit from exotic supercar makers. Ferrari, for example, haven't made a rebadged Punto.
    Aston Martin, on the other hand....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...in-Cygnet.html

It's a Toyota IQ with a $30,000 interior and some hood louvers.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin