Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,531   Posts: 1,572,561   Online: 1160

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    I forgot--what's the word in economics where there's too many goods chasing too-few buyers? I think this 15,500 Dow is a crock. I just don't buy it. Who is buying this junk?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    I forgot--what's the word in economics where there's too many goods chasing too-few buyers? I think this 15,500 Dow is a crock. I just don't buy it. Who is buying this junk?
    I think it's a hype too, but the index is all about perception, and has very little to do with reality. Rich people are getting richer, is about all you can tell from it. It's a very poor indicator of the general state of the economy.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    I think it's a hype too, but the index is all about perception, and has very little to do with reality. Rich people are getting richer, is about all you can tell from it. It's a very poor indicator of the general state of the economy.
    I know why it is, but it's a political observation, and that's off-limits here. Yes, like no other time in my life this is a rich-getting-richer environment, on steroids.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Moopheus View Post
    Really--Hasselblad's primary market for some time now presumably has not been film cameras, but high-end digital studio cameras, the ones that cost $30K+. The real problem for Hasselblad is not that there's no market for 503's, but that the market for $30,000 cameras is being eroded by $5,000 cameras. I would think that what their buyers really want is not a $5,000 Nex-7 (no one wants that), but an $8,000 H4D.
    Exactly right!

So much of this is driven by the sensor fabs. I wonder if they are even going to bother making MF digital sensors in the future. The market is just so tiny. Better to sell a zillion tiny sensors (in phones) than a few thousand big ones, even if you get $5k per for them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by omaha View Post
    Exactly right!

So much of this is driven by the sensor fabs. I wonder if they are even going to bother making MF digital sensors in the future. The market is just so tiny. Better to sell a zillion tiny sensors (in phones) than a few thousand big ones, even if you get $5k per for them.
    Underestimating the lure of luxury goods or gadgets there. China, for example is the big big market. India is catching up too - I see more luxury cars everyday on the roads even in a midst of gloom - and luxury car prices in India are usually at twice the imported price, mind you.(as are iPhones!)

- via tapatalk.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    With the new camera they are entering the realm of items that are rebranded and old model Sony. How is that premium?
    Absolutely! It isn't. That's why I think it's stupid. That's what Moorpheus hinted at as well, I think. (though I probably bit off too much on the car analogy, I reckon! ;-) )

It is a fact that people are ditching cameras for iPhones and the like. What would you do if you owned Hasselblad today?
    Target the large premium market in Asia. No-brainer really.

- via tapatalk.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hasselblad has made some strange glitzy co-branding items for some time---I remember seeing a truly awful display of their stuff in the Frankfurt airport, maybe including that Ferrari-decor camera posted upthread.

The thing is, the heart of their market used to be pro photographers, and they've lost much of that market to the high-end DSLRs now; they have their business in big digital sensors priced out of any normal retail range, but even that must be a shrinking market, and it's one that's more vulnerable to commodification than the old film-camera market was. Complex mechanics done with stellar ergonomics have a certain intrinsic value, because they're hard to do together; but if you no longer need the mechanical complexity, the functional heart of your product (the CCD) is a commodity, and all you have to compete on is good ergonomics and a brand name, that's a tough freakin' situation.

Sure, they probably should "target the large premium market in Asia". But with what kind of product? A high-dollar fancy camera that relies on glitz and status rather than special functionality? That's exactly what this disturbing product is supposed to be, I think.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Agreed with above... want a solid business move?? Get people to buy an H4d at prices that rival the high end dSLR cameras, then make your money on the lenses, the accessories, and such. You need to get people into a system they like, and they'll stay with it.

Personally, I would agree that Hasselblad should come out and sell some digital backs that will fit their 500 series and 200 series. Those suckers would sell damn quick. Actually, thinking out loud, if someone could produce digital "backs" that would fit old film cameras, you would have a pretty good product on your hands. No need for a preview or functions, just a download port. I'd grab one for my Nikons, no sweat.

Shooter
    35mm
    The real problem is the capitalist drive for endless expansion: obviously, like the makers of fine mechanical time pieces for a company like Hasselblad is impossible to expand rapidly and endlessly, and at the same time maintain their traditional identity. The other huge problem is modern capitalism speculative investment climate: rapid capital inflow and outflow have a devastating effect, not just on companies, but on entire countries (Spain and Latvia housing bubbles are the first to spring to mind). Looks like Hasselblad is a dead man walking.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Most of the digital backs that have been made fit the Hasselblad 500-series cameras, and one of the ways to use a digital back on a large format camera is with a Hasselblad adapter plate. The standard may be around longer than the cameras are made.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin