Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,546,072   Online: 934

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    As long as I can remember some favorite film or paper disappeared from the market. Seemed to happen just about every time I learned to master that particular product. Nothing's new. ... just Murphy's law. Make intelligent choices and realize that no matter what you do, you'll
    just have to adapt anyway. I've sometimes overreacted myself, and before the stockpile of my favorite film or paper in the freezer was ever
    used up, a better product came along anyway. Create a vacuum and someone will eventually fill it. But if you really want to scream doomsday,
    guess we could always bring up the ole Cold War scenario - a nuke world war, and then all your film and paper will be fogged anyway, and
    you won't need a safelight in the darkroom, cause you'll glow yourself. ... and all those cute digi cellphone devices won't work either, but
    for once nobody will care, cause they'll all be dead.... unless a asteroid collision kills us all off first... or an Ebola epidemic, or a bacterially
    contaminated pizza.....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    One of those rather trite sayings (that seem to be all the rage on Facebook) comes to mind: "Worry doesn't empty tomorrow of its sorrow, it empties today of its strength."

One can choose to worry, or not. I can't see that doing so makes any difference. The world is going to do what the world is going to do.

As for this particular worry, I see only two courses of action: You can stock up on materials. You can evangelize.

I'm telling you, there are countless digital photographers out there who are just waiting to try film, but they don't know where to start. They don't know that film and processing are still available. They don't know of the ridiculous bargains out there on outstanding used film cameras. They don't know of the amazing image quality film is able to produce.

There are all kinds of people who are convinced that their latest Nikon DSLR represents the ultimate photographic expression. They don't know any better. Its what the marketing machine has told them.

The truth (as I see it, anyway) is that photography has been on a 100 year march away from better and toward easier.

In the last 24 hours, I've used my Nikon D7000 and my brand new used Agfa Isolette III.

Everything about the Nikon is easier: Flawless auto-exposure. Flawless auto-focus. See-in-the-dark ISO capabilities. Zillion frame-per-second shutter rate. Stores thousands of images on one chip.

And yet it ultimately can not match the image quality of my old 120 format cameras.

There are people who would make that choice...the choice to leave behind the convenience and automation of today's cameras in exchange for the quality, deliberateness, and elegance of film. If they only knew...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Omaha,

Agreed with everything you say, I hear it on a near-daily basis while out shooting paid work. I think the big problem is that never in the history of photography has the influence of marketing through hype been as powerful as it is with the digital and internet age. Film and related materials does not have that kind of budget so it is up to us, the current film user to promote it ourselves and keep suggesting companies like Ilford and the Kodak UK Pensioners to do the same.

But it will never match the massive line of bull the digital companies feed the world, so while we can't win them all, hopefully we will win enough...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Something simple that I've started doing...talk about your film photography on Facebook. Post images you created. Talk about your cameras. Talk about the film you use.

Who knows. Maybe you can spark an interest in someone.

If nothing else, the feedback I've gotten has been very encouraging. Lots of people express surprise that film is still available. Just letting them know that it is is something worth doing.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Nothing has changed in principle, just in cultural intensity. It used to be that every time you opened a Natl Geographic there was an ad there
    for the very latest Canon or Nikon with all the silly automated bells and whistles that a person just had to buy to take effective film pictures.
    The consumer electronics industry still operates on the same propaganda basis. ... but nowadays if you give your kid a kitten or puppy for
    Christmas instead of some two thousand dollar blipping beeping electronic toy, social services will probably take your kid away and charge
    you for cruelty. Gotta have, just gotta have it.... Heck... we've been given at least four big TV's as hand-me-downs in the last two year by
    people who just had to have something even bigger. None of them worked very long anyway... just like all these other consumer gadgets. Gotta keep the idiots spending if the techies want to keep their own jobs .... but for non-ergonomics and sheer junkiness, it would be hard
    to surpass the present generation of consumer cameras... about the only truly tangible thing they gave you was an owner's manual as thick
    as a phone book.... now they put even that on disc or online .... and it takes about a month of reading to learn how many functions you need to turn off before you can actually take a picture. But do people even know how to read anymore?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by batwister View Post
    It's not 'doomsday' crap, it's real life crap. Modern Americans should learn the difference.
    Please note the title of the discussion.
    "Fun? Ah yes, the employment of time in a profitless and non-practical way."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin