Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,764   Posts: 1,516,214   Online: 1040
      
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 53
  1. #11
    Prest_400's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Posts
    525
    Quote Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
    It is all B.S. US movie theaters are charging $16 to $20 a ticket now. Tell me the $10 or $20 shipping charges for film are impacting the profits!

    It is all greed over quality.

    Why go to a movie house when one can get a 70 inch flat screen TV for their own home at reasonable prices and watch the thing right there?

    Movie houses need to offer a higher quality experience than people can get at home.

    $16 fpr a low quality picture, plus dealing with punks all on their cell phones and chattering through the presentation is enough to make me think real hard about that 70 in flat screen.

    Besides that there aren't even any movies good enough to warrant a $16 ticket in the first place.

    NOW... if they opened an art movie house near me that was dedicated to film projection, even showing classic movies like "Grand Prix", I would be on board with that.
    Can't say I disagree Bill. I used to go a lot to the cinema in 2011-12 when my theater was 80% film. Weekend prices were about 9$...
    Now it's 80% digital, keeping a single theater with a film projector. Prices have increased 4$ and they now put phone company ads in the trailer section. IMO, like youtube but in a theater!
    I plain disagree with forcing everyone to "move forward", big theaters might do well, but small theaters won't.

  2. #12

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    US
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    2,060
    I don't go to movies. The Hollywood whackos have gotten to be such wingdings and lunatics, I prefer not to contribute.

  3. #13

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    2,432
    There are several corporate strategies going on here. One is the fact that lots of movies nowadays are "action films" with a lot of digital mickey
    mouse and so-so acting which technologically matches this new form of release. Another important factor is that the big film operatives can
    basically bankrupt neighborhood theatres and take over by forcing them into unrealistic new projection debt. Distribution per se is simplified
    (though filmmakers themselves can still be creative and decide to use real film for the initial filming). ... None of this affects me. I shoot sheet
    film, and have solved that whole theatre issue the simple way ... I simply don't go to movies anymore. Why bother if there's nothing special to the experience.

  4. #14
    erikg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    pawtucket rhode island usa
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,389
    I agree about the theater experience. The screens get smaller. The rooms get smaller. If it is digitally projected it is even closer to what I can see at home. It's not special anymore. I'd rather stay at home or at a friends house and not have someone sitting behind me talking and eating the whole time.

  5. #15
    Prest_400's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Posts
    525
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    None of this affects me. I shoot sheet
    film, and have solved that whole theatre issue the simple way ... I simply don't go to movies anymore. Why bother if there's nothing special to the experience.
    I remember a while ago concerns about how halting MP film producion affected Still film, as the latter was "subsidized" by the former; At least in the sense of economies of scale. But yes... the only manufacturer that keeps both lines is Kodak. If MP film demand decreases, let's see what would happen to Still film.
    Fuji... well, are "more or less commited" and the other small manufacturers do some MP or none at all.

    And the last movie I went to see, man of steel, used Kodak stock; Better than nothing. Due to prices and as our group of mates don't get together as much and in the way we used to do... I am happy by not going to the cinema.
    Yes, it is becoming less special. With film projection there's still some "cinematography look" (though in camera film still keeps it) but with pure digital it just seems a big version of youtube.

  6. #16
    JohnRichard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    262
    Images
    15
    As a filmmaker, I found it quite easy to obtain 10000 feet of Fuji stock second hand for not quite money.

    Developing can be done for a little more, and an optical finish for not much more.
    Price gets interesting when labs jack up prices of scanning film for DI purposes because of one reason or another. Cutting an inter positive can be a fantastic learning event.



    Sent from my LT30at using Tapatalk 2
    - J. Richard
    4x5 Speed Graphic, Looking for another 8x10.

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    2,432
    A minor but important use for motion film will be archiving. There is a lot of skepticism in the industry about just how permanent any kind of
    digital record will be. Rapid obsolescence is the whole key to the continued growth of the current electronics industry - today's technology
    making sure yesterday's won't work any more, and coming up with something yet again. Pretty much the Tower of Babel for profit - nobody will be able to communicate with another generation, in this case visually. I'm sure I'll get flak for stating this - but all one has to do is look up all the chatter in the industry itself to understand it's a real issue. But cine film affects still film production only to a certain extent. The products are different, even the base material tends to be different. Not all still films are related in this respect either. ... and while the dust has yet to settle for that particular industry, the reorganization of Kodak into a smaller dedicated entity is actually good news in terms of sustainability. Things get based on real demand and real profit instead of a lot of stock market ballyhoo, with one division subsidizing venture in another. If film ends up costing more, so be it - I'll just have to skip paying to see another movie not worth watching anyway.

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    188
    Well i used to be able to cross the border from el paso,tx to juarez mexico... 8.00 in el paso normal theatre experience... for about $5.00-$6.00 in juarez, mexico i would be able to sit in a leather la-z-boy type chair where my feet would go up... get awesome hot dogs with everything on it and mixed (alcoholic) drinks, catered to us... this was a 10-15 minute drive, given that crossing back the border was 5-30 minutes if we came back late enough.

    on a second note... the movie industry used to be able to make a killing after movies were released for private viewing... through video sales... although they still charge $33 a blu-ray disc, fear of obsolescence (which is so apparent today), doesn't appeal to much to people. Any why re-watch an summer action film (which for the most part lacks much intrinsic value) when you can watch anything imaginable on youtube. the reason they charge so much at a movie theatre is for the 'experience' which for me was cool... but as mentioned with digital projectors and sloppy sound producing, it's just not the same. Once people noticed the difference a sound system did to an in home 'movie experience' the game changed drastically as well.

    The last straw was drawn when people began to upload movies online the same day they were released. why pay $25 for tickets, plus 15 for popcorn! and soda, when you can enjoy a MEAL or whatever snacks and the same movie IN bed on your computer screen. no driving, no lines, no problems. All i have to say, is i agree the 'experience' is lacking for what they charge, i want my lay-z-boy

  9. #19

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    US
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    2,060
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    I don't go to movies. The Hollywood whackos have gotten to be such wingdings and lunatics, I prefer not to contribute.
    Pardon me for that. I can't repeal it now, but it prayed on my mind that this isn't the forum for that kind of talk. The prostatitis has gotten me down again and makes me cranky. Please pardon.

  10. #20
    StoneNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    6,926
    Images
    222
    Quote Originally Posted by mesantacruz View Post
    Well i used to be able to cross the border from el paso,tx to juarez mexico... 8.00 in el paso normal theatre experience... for about $5.00-$6.00 in juarez, mexico i would be able to sit in a leather la-z-boy type chair where my feet would go up... get awesome hot dogs with everything on it and mixed (alcoholic) drinks, catered to us... this was a 10-15 minute drive, given that crossing back the border was 5-30 minutes if we came back late enough.

    on a second note... the movie industry used to be able to make a killing after movies were released for private viewing... through video sales... although they still charge $33 a blu-ray disc, fear of obsolescence (which is so apparent today), doesn't appeal to much to people. Any why re-watch an summer action film (which for the most part lacks much intrinsic value) when you can watch anything imaginable on youtube. the reason they charge so much at a movie theatre is for the 'experience' which for me was cool... but as mentioned with digital projectors and sloppy sound producing, it's just not the same. Once people noticed the difference a sound system did to an in home 'movie experience' the game changed drastically as well.

    The last straw was drawn when people began to upload movies online the same day they were released. why pay $25 for tickets, plus 15 for popcorn! and soda, when you can enjoy a MEAL or whatever snacks and the same movie IN bed on your computer screen. no driving, no lines, no problems. All i have to say, is i agree the 'experience' is lacking for what they charge, i want my lay-z-boy
    In the Midwest they have theaters that have that service, beer, hot dogs, feet up, leather chair, servers, etc, and the price is less than my price here in CT... With grimy chairs and small screen. Then again Midwest has the room...


    Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin