Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,951   Posts: 1,585,988   Online: 841

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Tired of hearing "Film is Dead?" Well So Are We!

New Kodak Motion Picture ad http://motion.kodak.com/motion/Custo...ions/index.htm note this is only a selection of movies shot on film. A big amount of 2 Mio + Budget Movies still uses Film as Medium of choice. Distribution is another thing.
    Still I thought I'd share this positive and good Kodak ad.

Go Kodak Go!!!

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Distribution is another thing.
    Someone making a movie on film is meanwhile getting into difficulties if he only wants to release it on film...

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yeah said state of affairs. From a producers POV understandable. I am still pissed at the EU for founding the conversion of classic cinemas to digital. The lack of founding for new digital projectors would have slowed down the move from releasing movies on film (high res glory) to releasing them in digital slower res glory. Another pet peeves of mine is the fact that even anamorphic movies rarely get a 4K scan and release only 2K

Dominik

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Someone making a movie on film is meanwhile getting into difficulties if he only wants to release it on film...
    The same goes for us here. More than half of the B&W and nearly all of the color in the gallery make no mention of wet printing. It seems a lot of the posted images may be ultimately headed for a digital printer or never actually get printed at all.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I was just listening to an article on Oregon Public Radio yesterday called "Digital or Die". First run theaters are being forced to switch over to digital projection by Hollywood. They are phasing out movies being shot on film. They want to be able to ship movies on a small hard drive for digital projection instead of paying the cost of shipping several large cans of film not to mention the expense of making all the film duplicates.

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Some digital movie projectors don't even require a harddisk they receive the data via satelite. Distribution on film is expensive and I understand the producers what I don't understand are festivals that stopped accepting film copies and only accept digital copies. Festivals sell themselves as the place where indepent and quality cinema is shown but they don't accept a quality product anymore. At least movies even digital ones are getting archived on film stock not all (lack of budget) but some. In Europe it's not only the producers that forced the change but also the individual countries.

Shooter
    Large Format
    One of my son's class mates was a theater projectionist. He came up with the software that lets the cinema (large number) theaters have a single projectionist and one pc control the multi-mini theaters in the complex. The dangers of allowing youth to have ideas and computers I suppose.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MDR View Post
    Some digital movie projectors don't even require a harddisk they receive the data via satelite. Distribution on film is expensive and I understand the producers what I don't understand are festivals that stopped accepting film copies and only accept digital copies. Festivals sell themselves as the place where indepent and quality cinema is shown but they don't accept a quality product anymore. At least movies even digital ones are getting archived on film stock not all (lack of budget) but some. In Europe it's not only the producers that forced the change but also the individual countries.
    Most indie film makers can't afford to shoot on film and shoot digitally... Just FYI...

Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    127 Format
    It is all B.S. US movie theaters are charging $16 to $20 a ticket now. Tell me the $10 or $20 shipping charges for film are impacting the profits!

It is all greed over quality.

Why go to a movie house when one can get a 70 inch flat screen TV for their own home at reasonable prices and watch the thing right there?

Movie houses need to offer a higher quality experience than people can get at home.

$16 fpr a low quality picture, plus dealing with punks all on their cell phones and chattering through the presentation is enough to make me think real hard about that 70 in flat screen.

Besides that there aren't even any movies good enough to warrant a $16 ticket in the first place.

NOW... if they opened an art movie house near me that was dedicated to film projection, even showing classic movies like "Grand Prix", I would be on board with that.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I love the artifacting and aliasing that occurs with digital projection during panning motions. It's soooo nice to look at!
    K.S. Klain

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin