Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,972   Posts: 1,523,589   Online: 899

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    I can send some of my TRS 80 model one ss/sd disks, and some of my C64 disks formatted on that wonderful commodore 1540 disk drive. Their heads would explode! lol

Shooter
    35mm
    This thread has prompted me to ask a question that entered my head after I had seen the credits on a movie film that was on TV many years after being made. Sorry I forget what film it was but it certainly was post World War Two.

It said the film had been digitally re-mastered. I wonder what this meant and why was it necessary given that film has a very long life.

Was this the exception rather than the rule i.e. the film in question had simply been physically damaged rather than suffering an inevitable form of age deterioration?

Thanks

pentaxuser

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can compare that re-mastering with the same in the audio-world:

a film having faults either by origin or due to storage is digitalized, cranked through enhancing programms and then either printed on film or kept as digital file.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    This thread has prompted me to ask a question that entered my head after I had seen the credits on a movie film that was on TV many years after being made. Sorry I forget what film it was but it certainly was post World War Two.

It said the film had been digitally re-mastered. I wonder what this meant and why was it necessary given that film has a very long life.

Was this the exception rather than the rule i.e. the film in question had simply been physically damaged rather than suffering an inevitable form of age deterioration?

Thanks

pentaxuser
    Scanned, rekeyed, any blatantly noticeable visible errors corrected. That's about it. It's not a directly analogy to sound engineering as usually these days the studios and mastering engineers can't help but compressing the dynamic range even more than the original master (see: loudness war).
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Slightly OT but in the ballpark, Perhaps not everyone is sold on digital start to finish. J.J. Abrams has hired Dan Mindel to shoot the next Star Wars film on 35mm Kodak 5219.
    A quote from Mindel's IMDB profile:
    "I think the film medium is irreplaceable. The rendition of film is so good and the quality is so high, especially when you use large format. That is something we won't be able to do with HD for years. I was watching Vertigo yesterday, which was a VistaVision movie. My god, the quality! You could project that on the wide of the Queen Mary and it's going to look good

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Interesting NYtimes article about the cost of digital storage compared to fil...

Yep. The current marketing and selling of digital is pretty much a scam for something that isn't terribly broken. For major studios, the medium is the LEAST of their issues.

5219 == Vision3 500T. One of their most excellent film stocks.

It's amazing just how much we're forsaking. Super-70 format is absolutely amazing and its not even 8-perf 70mm. There was a point in time where movie goers were exposed to the most ridiculous amounts of resolution that even today we don't even see projected. Like I said: scam.
    Last edited by clayne; 08-24-2013 at 05:50 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GregW View Post
    Slightly OT but in the ballpark, Perhaps not everyone is sold on digital start to finish. J.J. Abrams has hired Dan Mindel to shoot the next Star Wars film on 35mm Kodak 5219.
    A quote from Mindel's IMDB profile:
    "I think the film medium is irreplaceable. The rendition of film is so good and the quality is so high, especially when you use large format. That is something we won't be able to do with HD for years. I was watching Vertigo yesterday, which was a VistaVision movie. My god, the quality! You could project that on the wide of the Queen Mary and it's going to look good
    It would be interesting to see how many directors and cinematographers feel such a strong affinity towards film.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hdeyong View Post
    This is typical. Everything now, whether deliberate or not, is planned to be obsolete in the not-too-distant future. Our economy is now based largely on waste. Nothing gets fixed or upgraded, it get tossed and a new one is bought to replace it.
    Yup, my girlfriend just bought a sewing machine from 1948, largely considered to be the rolls roys of sewing machines, it's is made to last generations, all steel parts, i look at it from both a mecanical engineers eye and an artists and it is fantastic. Nothing sold today is made like that...today everything you buy is a scam it seems...dont get me started on cell phones.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    It would be interesting to see how many directors and cinematographers feel such a strong affinity towards film.
    Quite a few actually. Ignore the marketing hype.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    Quite a few actually. Ignore the marketing hype.
    Yet the digital HD projection in the cinema i saw the other day of an xmen or another was incrdible, and by far surpassed any of the best film projections ih ave ever seen in the 20 years of cinemateque free pass i have.
    Unless JJ will be filming the new star wars on a blue screen and using optical printing, he too, will eventually have to convert the material to digital at some point in order to add the CGI it is undoubtedly going to have in 99.9% of the shots. If that is later printed to film for projection... what difference does it make? if it was shot on film in the first place and then projected digitally, what difference would that make...?
    CatLABS of JP
    Darkroom resources and service

www.catlabs.info | https://www.facebook.com/CatLABS.of.JP | www.jobo-usa.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin