Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,708   Posts: 1,548,555   Online: 1168

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Interesting NYtimes article about the cost of digital storage compared to film storag

Just saw this article an its worth a read:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/23/bu...ewanted=1&_r=0
    CatLABS of JP
    Darkroom resources and service

www.catlabs.info | https://www.facebook.com/CatLABS.of.JP | www.jobo-usa.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Long-term storage of digital assets is a problem that has yet to be solved. The failure rate of digital storage mediums I've experienced has been depressing--floppies, Zip disks, burned CDs and DVDs, hard drives--all had disturbingly high failure rates. All sorts of files I stored in "the cloud"--gone forever. Eventually, there's going to be a much better method for digital storage, but when?

The static nature of film negative storage has always been something I've valued. Amazingly, I've still got most of the negatives and slides I've shot over my lifetime. Other than some crappy Agfa reversal stock, it hasn't degraded. It hasn't taken much time and effort to preserve this stuff.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ...........things are supposed to get better with progress

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Goutiere View Post
    Exactly!

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry S View Post
    Other than some crappy Agfa reversal stock, it hasn't degraded.
    Which Agfa is it? My Agfachrome from the 70's is still beautiful, but my Fujichrome up to the early 80's has had a lot of yellow fading.

Just the other day, PE said that the older Agfa was not E-4, but their own process, and later Agfachrome was E-6.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    Which Agfa is it? My Agfachrome from the 70's is still beautiful, but my Fujichrome up to the early 80's has had a lot of yellow fading.

Just the other day, PE said that the older Agfa was not E-4, but their own process, and later Agfachrome was E-6.
    Hmmm, I'll need to check, maybe it's just the funky warm color balance of the Agfa films.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Goutiere View Post
    That assumes "progress" is true progress, not false progress designed to sell more crap and go through another cycle of multi-generational marketing.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post

Agfa were very, very reluctant to change processes. They were one of the last to change. They skipped E-4.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Agfa were very, very reluctant to change processes. They were one of the last to change. They skipped E-4.
    Well, their color was certainly superior to Ektachrome or Fujichrome, and as it turns out so was their longevity, so I think they were wise to not change.
    I have mistaken my Agfachrome for Kodachrome, based on the original color and how unfaded the slides still are.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    35mm
    This is typical. Everything now, whether deliberate or not, is planned to be obsolete in the not-too-distant future. Our economy is now based largely on waste. Nothing gets fixed or upgraded, it get tossed and a new one is bought to replace it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin