Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,926   Posts: 1,585,069   Online: 889

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    I expect that the actual sale hasn't yet completed, because of the time requirements of the bankruptcy process.
    I realize that. But as I've stated earlier, markets—and market share—won't wait for lawyers. (Nothing personal.) I suspect Ferrania knows this too. Maybe that's why they announced now, knowing they won't really be ready until 2014.

"Bankruptcy" is not supposed to be a destination resort...

Ken
    Last edited by Ken Nadvornick; 08-12-2013 at 07:37 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Grammer...
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The combination of a US bankruptcy court and a UK pension regulator probably makes for about as slow an environment as any you might find.

I doubt that the pension fund is allowed (by its regulator) to spend any meaningful money until the sale is essentially complete.

And Kodak is probably prevented from spending much by the bankruptcy.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Understood. And I know you are correct, Matt.

However...

My dad was going to toss his old Minolta 35mm film camera. I told him I'd take it if he didn't want it. So I was doing a little surfing online, looking to see if I might still be able to buy some film and try it out. I found a link to a new company called Ferrania in Italy. Never heard of them before. But they are going to start making film real soon now.

I know from my dad that he used to use Kodak film. But I found a big-time photographer at 'indiegogo' who says he's now using up the last film from the last batch that Kodak ever made. And when I Googled on 'Kodak' I found out they are bankrupt and out of business.*

It must be true because I don't see anything online anywhere that I hang out about any Kodak film. My dad says that Kodak died a few years back when his old favorite film Kodachrome died. After that, he just put the Minolta back in its box and bought a digital camera.

Ken

* Remember, I'm just a kid reading this stuff.
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well it looks like he changed it and went on to clarify some things. In reading his more representative explanation of it, I can see how that might have been a tough point to set the hook with if he did not simplify it a bit. But he simplified it a LOT and distorted the facts in the name of that simplicity and impact.

As it stands right now, Keith at KB Canham says he can special order TMY 400 in 8x10. The idea anyone would get from his headline is that he has a stash of the last batch of TMY cut to 8x10 that Kodak is ever going to make and this is just not true. Even he states that whether or not they cut another batch of 8x10 is "a big unknown".

Regardless of if he has another chance to shoot TMY 400 in 8x10 next year or not, I still think he took liberties that were just not right. I wish him luck in his project, but man, what a mess to make for one's self...
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's not completely impossible that this guy knows something about Kodak's (and the UK Kodak Pension Plan's -- soon to be the entity that markets Kodak-branded film) plans to not cut and package any more 8x10 TMY-2, which has been a special order item for some time. However, his nonsense about dichroic fog after the film is a mere one year old in his so-called "extreme processing methods" certainly diminishes his credibility in my eyes.

I'm not one who normally sees the future of Kodak film through rose-colored glasses. Nonetheless, I suspect that, since 4x5 TMY-2 is cut from the same master roll as 8x10, we'll continue to see special order availability at least through 2015, at which time the long-term supply agreements for motion picture film expire. That's when I would begin to worry about any Kodak films, in any size, that I wanted to purchase. At this point, the linked item reads like fiction intended to motivate donations. Note too the very specific wording (emphasis added) of this excerpt:

"Recently, he received a share of the last regular production run of the particular brand and size of Kodak film he uses to create these images."

There have been no regular production runs of 8x10 TMY-2 since it was converted to a special order item several years ago. This signifies nothing negative about the availability and freshness of that product bought today from B&H, which places its own minimum quantity special orders, or through K.B. Canham group purchases.

Shooter
    127 Format
    Does anyone remember, not that long ago, where some Kodak PR lady showed up with a message about Kodak might become a "boutique" manufacturer in the future with small runs of special offerings?

And then she disappeared.

And more recently, when Freestyle announced a "new" Arista black and white film to replace the lost Arista Premium line (Kodak Plus-X and Tri-X). The film was to be sourced from the UK by an undisclosed manufacturer.

And then they suddenly pulled the announcement and stated that the deal fell through and wouldn't be coming after all.

THEN... there was a whisper that perhaps Freestyle might be able to resupply the Arista Premium 400 after all, if things go well...

THEN... Kodak announced the end of their own microfilm, now to be supplied by Agfa in Belgium or someplace near there, under contract to Kodak.

THEN... Ferrania announces they are getting back in the color film business - from out of nowhere.

It's all a curious congruency in my little mind.

Does anyone besides me think there are all kinds of deals and contracts being set up behind the scenes for all these smaller sources to provide Kodak film after 2015?

I can see the new Arista and Kodak Tri-X (and versions of TMAX) coming from the UK or other European source, under contract to Kodak.

And I can see "Kodak" color films coming from Ferrania or Lucky in China. And even "Ektachrome" could return.

Will we see, "Manufactured in the EU for Kodak".

Or as Apple says, "Designed in the USA - Manufactured in China"

2015 will be a very interesting year for Kodak film - and us.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
    ...Does anyone besides me think there are all kinds of deals and contracts being set up behind the scenes for all these smaller sources to provide Kodak film after 2015?

I can see the new Arista and Kodak Tri-X (and versions of TMAX) coming from the UK or other European source, under contract to Kodak.

And I can see "Kodak" color films coming from Ferrania or Lucky in China. And even "Ektachrome" could return.

Will we see, "Manufactured in the EU for Kodak"...
    Can't speak for others, but I don't think the UK Kodak Pension Plan will source film from Ferrania, Lucky or others and market it as "Kodak." I don't believe the terms of its agreement with Kodak will permit that. Of course, this is all pure speculation, since nobody's revealing anything about those terms, and probably won't even after the deal is complete. That's why Colleen never came back to post specifics.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
    Does anyone besides me think there are all kinds of deals and contracts being set up behind the scenes for all these smaller sources to provide Kodak film after 2015?
    NO.

That is business where people are mislead and taken use of. But a general conspiracy? No.

Years ago there had the industry already the suspicion been uttered that Agfa would take over by agreement part of Kodak's sales by delivering their films. There were even hints at that.

By the way, the Agfa microfilms are to be sold under a Kodak tradename (Imagelink), but not under the Kodak brand.
    Seemingly the latter is no longer of that importance for those customers.

KPP have got their own plant in Harrow now they traded in for a fortune. The only reason for them to order at other manufacturers would be to save on start up cost for own films.
    But we don't know the details of the Kodak/KPP contract concerning production formula.
    Last edited by AgX; 08-14-2013 at 10:39 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One has to wonder how well analogue photography would be doing if Kodak (and Fujifilm) could speak with authority regarding the future of their products and then actually put in motion a visible plan that clearly works towards improving the market perception of their films.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    That article about Chris Walker says that he got T-MAX 400 8x10" out of the last batch.
    Considering that Kodak will not sell still film in the future (but a enigmatic follow-up company) and the fact that Walker has been a test photographer for Kodak, that is a interesting statement.

The truth of it will still have to be validated.
    Please stop with the "Kodak will not sell still film" stuff just because of a technicality in ownership/marketing. It's completely apparent to everyone Kodak is still producing still film. The KPP axe grinding is not positive and you need to watch how your words come off as people *run with this stuff* outside of this forum. Please, just stop with it.

The original link is obviously a bunch of falsities so the guy can get other people to pay for his expenses. Completely ridiculous.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin