Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,986   Posts: 1,524,033   Online: 852

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    Please stop with the "Kodak will not sell still film" stuff just because of a technicality in ownership/marketing. It's completely apparent to everyone Kodak is still producing still film. The KPP axe grinding is not positive and you need to watch how your words come off as people *run with this stuff* outside of this forum. Please, just stop with it.

The original link is obviously a bunch of falsities so the guy can get other people to pay for his expenses. Completely ridiculous.

Producing film and selling and marketing film are two totally different things.

Kodak emphazised on the independance between them and the new british company.

Nobody asked why Kodak, who were believed to cling so much to still film gave that business out of hand.

That still film part of the new/still to be establisherd entity at KPP is only a small part of that deal. In the official communication on this matter it even is placed only at low rank.

I relate my words to what are the facts rsp. what has been communicated and not what some people wish to be. The photochemical industry is a very complex matter and not just related to those films once on the shelves of photo shops.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's ranked at a low rank because it's an *ownership* game. Do you seriously believe they're going to just shift all production over there when it's already established here? No, if anything they'll play contractual games. I realize there are a lot of complexities - but there are also definite practicalities. It's not black and white based on who the owner is, they're the sole manufacturer either.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am not even speaking about shifting production from one plant to another.

But so far the decisionmaking was on Kodak's side, (though often blamed here at Apug of making the wrong decisions), but now Kodak is out of the game on this and concerning still film depending on orders from the new company to come in.

I see your point in stating that such is only a formal matter. But none of us can be sure of this. Especially as both entities are responsible to totally different owners or boards of control. Please let me state this.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    ...this is all pure speculation, since nobody's revealing anything about those terms, and probably won't even after the deal is complete...
    The deal will probably be complete in about two weeks:

I still don't think the terms of Kodak's agreement with the UK Pension Plan will be made public at that time or later. If, after 2015, we start seeing "Kodak" film products sourced anywhere but Bldg. 38 in Rochester, the new distribution/marketing company will have, in my opinion, gone down the same path as those holding rights to the Polaroid name did. In other words, "Kodak" would become a worthless brand name.

We shall see...

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That "new distribution and marketing company" is more than that. It got several plants including at least one complete photo plant.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    That "new distribution and marketing company" is more than that. It got several plants including at least one complete photo plant.
    The Harrow plant makes paper. If, at some future time it hypothetically decided to make film, the product(s) would likely be similar in packaging only to those made in Bldg. 38. Ask Ron Mowery what it takes to "recreate" a film at a new location -- or whether it is indeed possible to do so.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    The Harrow plant makes paper. If, at some future time it hypothetically decided to make film, the product(s) would likely be similar in packaging only to those made in Bldg. 38. Ask Ron Mowery what it takes to "recreate" a film at a new location -- or whether it is indeed possible to do so.
    IIRC, Harrow used to make film as well, so there may be more of a legacy benefit than an entirely new location might be expected to enjoy.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    IIRC, Harrow used to make film as well, so there may be more of a legacy benefit than an entirely new location might be expected to enjoy.
    Perhaps, but it may be useful to recall how much Kodak films changed when they were simply moved to Bldg. 38 from another line in Rochester.

Shooter
    127 Format
    Like it or not it's happening.

There is no way in hell that building 38 will still be producing photo film after 2015.

wait and see
    - Bill Lynch

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
    Like it or not it's happening.

There is no way in hell that building 38 will still be producing photo film after 2015.

wait and see
    Great attitude. Let me guess, you no longer shoot Kodak anymore since they discontinued Panatomic-X back in the Jurassic period, right?
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin