Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,930   Posts: 1,585,314   Online: 1064

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Did I Miss Something?

I read this, this morning, and was surprised to see that Kodak has stopped producing film (according to this story).

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ru...film-ever-made

Have I misunderstood?

Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They will stop making the acetate, use up their stocks and then buy it from suppliers following the same QC standards. They will still make the emulsions and coat the acetate and package the film.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That article about Chris Walker says that he got T-MAX 400 8x10" out of the last batch.
    Considering that Kodak will not sell still film in the future (but a enigmatic follow-up company) and the fact that Walker has been a test photographer for Kodak, that is a interesting statement.

The truth of it will still have to be validated.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I thought 8x10 and larger was now special order rather than typical production. Maybe this was the end of the standard production run before it went special order only?

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Special order? Oops, I missed that. Thought that would have started with ULF only. (Maybe my memory is failing...)

Anyway, the future of Kodak still films is enigmatic to me. Nobody seems to have heard anything from "New Kodak" (KPP in the UK) so far.

For the other entity sold by Kodak to KPP:

Dolores Kruchten from Kodak Document Imaging on the sale to KPP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoGV4kL6vnY

Nothing of that kind was heard from the still film department.
    Last edited by AgX; 08-12-2013 at 01:13 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bummer he chose to use an inaccurate and provocative headline to engage his potential donors:

"Rural Transitions: A Photographer shoots the last sheets of Kodak film ever made".

While it is a cool project, I feel like he threw the rest of the film using world under the proverbial web-hype bus in the name of ensuring his fiscal goals were met....and they were not.

Also, back in April, a rep from Kodak thanked Henry from B&H for "Setting the record straight" on a post on Facebook for KB Canham LF cameras:

"As far back as 2010 Kodak made this film available as a special order only with a minimum order of $15,000.00. I've asked our film buyer who confirmed it is indeed special order with a ten-week lead time. He also reported we expect to have some in stock before the end of the month."

B&H shows 139 10 sheet boxes of TMY and over 200 boxes of TMX in 8x10, FYI....
    Last edited by PKM-25; 08-12-2013 at 06:14 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I keep saying this...

That so-called new Kodak marketing company (KPP, is that the new acronym??) needs to get off their duff and get moving. The more people who read the above—and similar—headlines, the deeper the hole they're digging themselves into. And everybody knows The First Rule of Holes, right?

By not speaking up in opposition they are passively confirming that misinformation simply by not actively refuting it in the marketplace. And these days crowd sourcing sites and blogs are part of the marketplace.

They did (or didn't do) exactly the same thing when they killed off Kodachrome. Good lord, I can't tell you how many people who knew about my interest in film contacted me to express their heartfelt sympathy for "the final death of Kodak film."

Where are these KPP guys???

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ken, I have notified the appropriate people, until we get feedback that gives insight to the new helmsmanship, we have to just assume that the current marketing folks are waiting for marching orders...
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    ...we have to just assume that the current marketing folks are waiting for marching orders...
    Seems to me that's the problem in a nutshell.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I expect that the actual sale hasn't yet completed, because of the time requirements of the bankruptcy process.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin